“Lovely day out”

Historic Scotland Explorer Pass
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Inchcolm Abbey was established on this island originally as a priory by David I in 1235. It is the best-preserved group of monastic buildings in Scotland. It was the dream of Alexander I to establish a monastery on the island after he sheltered on it during a storm. But following his death, it was his brother David I who invited Augustinian canons to establish a priory, which was later given full abbey status. The abbey has a dramatic location which you can see from the boat before you arrive on the island. The medieval stone screens inside the belltower are rare survivals of medieval church fixtures and the 13th century well-painting is a rare medieval fresco. The island is also famed for its seals, wildlife and coastal defences from the two world wars.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The day I visited the weather was beautiful. It was an extremely peaceful place (apart from all the birds). Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank Celtigra

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a very special place to us as a family and we have visited many many times. The island is a great place to walk though the seagulls now limit where you can go. The Abbey itself is very well preserved and is a lovely place to visit. It is so special we have a memorial bench there for my Father and my daughter is marrying there next year.

2  Thank aebruce
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Be sure to book the trip from South Queensferry which allows for a visit to the abbey. Excellent historical site. Lots of birds... Stay away from the gulls in breeding season!!! If you're lucky you may see puffins. Lots of seals along the way basking on the buoys. Take a picnic as there are no facilities for purchasing food on the island . Island is pristine.., great photo ops on the island and of the mainland

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I live in South Queensferry so it isn't far to travel for me. I visited Inchcolm a few years ago with my sister in law and two nephews from London. We went on the Maid of the Forth and you get the tickets from the kiosk on the esplanade where the boat leaves from. It is lovely on a sunny day and now they take you under the road bridge where they are working on the new Forth Crossing, then the boat turns and goes underneath the fantastic (my favourite) rail bridge towards Inchcolm and the Abbey (I think there are landing fees to pay but this may have changed) the Abbey is very old and worth a visit. Weddings take place there too sometimes where the bride and groom and guests arrive by boat. As you pass Dalgety Bay on the Fife coast you can see seals, some of them climb on to the buoy moored near there. The only thing I would say is that when the seagulls are nesting you can get divebombed so best to check first if you're not keen on gulls. Lovely place where you can see the Edinburgh skyline and Fife. It is suitable for most groups and there is a shop which sells refreshments but you could take a picnic ( mind the gulls) and toilet facilities.

1  Thank Loulou777
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We went on the ferry over to Inchcolm on a blustery day and on arrival started to question why. However, the little island has a lovely little beach where seals bask in the shallows. The Abbey is a ruin but is nice to walk around. We sat on one of the ledges watching the seals. Worth the visit.

1  Thank SamanthaLaw