“A Superb Christmas Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Antico at Orocco Pier

Antico at Orocco Pier
Cuisines: Bar, British, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winchburgh
“A Superb Christmas Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

We had lunch here on Christmas Day, myself, my wife, and a friend.
The restaurant was very busy, but every one of the staff members went out of their way to make us welcome.
They were cheerful, despite having to work on Christmas Day, and made us feel that it was important to them that we had a nice day.
The food was excellent, (all 3 courses), and the service and attention to detail faultless.
This was our first time having lunch somewhere outside of our home on Christmas Day, but based on the lovely time we had at Orocco Pier, I would recommend it to everyone.
We look forward to our next visit to this fabulous and local restaurant.

Linlithgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“A saturday morning tradition whilst the children are at ballet school”

Great selection of coffees and decent cooked Scottish Breakfast

Visited September 2011
“Boxing day treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

We visited antico on boxing day and were very pleased we chose to come here rather than elsewhere. The service was fantastic and there was a great atmosphere.
I would definitely recommend Antico in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Christmas day lunch - what a let down!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

My family and I decided to go out for Christmas day lunch this year, for the first time; on hindsight, I wish we'd just stayed in! There were 10 of us for lunch, as well as an 18 month old toddler so we were placed in the Fuschia room.

When we arrived, all the staff seemed really nice, and we welcoming. We we shown to our table, and drinks orders were taken. My husband, who was driving, ordered a soft drink which was poured into a glass that contained so much ice that it was literally coming out of the top of the glass. My husband took his drink back to the bar, and asked politely for less ice - but when the waiter brought it back over to the table, there was little difference.

Our starters arrived promptly, and in all honesty, if the meal had continued to be of the starters quality, then I would have had no problem. However, after having the starter plates cleared away, it took over 30 minutes for our mains to arrive - and what a disappointment when they did finally make an appearance!

I ordered the sirloin steak, asking for it to be cooked medium/rare but when it arrived it was more well done. The vegetables (Brussel sprouts, carrots and parsnips) were verging on being uncooked; they were terribly crunchy, and not pleasant to eat. The potatoes were listed in the menu as being roasted in goose fat, but were clearly only boiled. At no time during the meal were we offered a meal for our wee one - the brochure clearly stated that under 5's were complimentary, but no one made any effort to suggest that there was a menu available for children. Another drinks order was taken, and again, my husband asked for a drink without any ice - again, it was brought to the table jam packed with ice!

After the utterly disappointing mains, we had another wait of around 25 minutes for dessert. I had the cheese board, which had four different cheeses, but only two small pieces of walnut bread, so I was left with cheese that I couldn't really eat. Those in our party who had the traditional Christmas pudding (which was to be served with a brandy custard) were really disappointed. The Christmas pudding was very small, and the watery white liquid that came with it tasted of nothing in particular. It looked very unappetising! My mother said that the result was a very dry Christmas pudding, which isn't very nice.

I have to say that we were not the only ones that seemed to have problems. When I visited the bathrooms, there were two ladies who were discussing their meals, and talking of how the vegetables were solid, and inedible. One of the ladies also stated that her steak wasn't cooked to her liking.

Overall, we wouldn't go back to Orocco Pier, especially for dinner. It was a real let down, and at £60.00 per head, you expect better. I recently dined in the Tower Restaurant in Edinburgh and that was superb at £42.00 each. The atmosphere was really lacking too - at one point one of the serving staff got an iron out, and began ironing a table cloth (on the table) whilst there were diners close by eating. This was quite unprofessional in my opinion.

Orocco Pier is surviving on its location, right down on the waterfront in South Queensferry. The food was a major let down, and left us feeling disappointed; needless to say, we won't be back. It seemed incredibly expensive for the quality of food that we received. I've eaten in much cheaper restaurants, and received much better food!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lpaterson
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Our Awesome Home from Home, Recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

We regularly visit Antico for lunch after a walk along the costal path past Dalmeny House from our house in Barnton and we love it!

The food is excellent, reasonably priced and always very tasty. The drinks menu is extensive and special (creative!) additions seems to be rotated regularly (they had awesome Xmas drinks on the menu last week).

The venue is always spotless and very well decorated. We noted lovely touches like blankets tied up with bows, ready to be used, and candle lanterns on the tables outside. Tasteful snowflakes decorate the windows, care taken to ensure they were correcly placed. Small detail, but we like this as I'd do the same in our own home.

But the key thing about Antico for us is really the service. The management employ a lot of serving staff and clearly school them well in the art of customer service. Like Gods of the culinary, the staff are effortlessly omni-present, but never oppressively so. You'll never have an empty glass or plate in front of you and will never be aware of them going about their work. They are always friendly and give off a "we care about you" vibe. We particularly like this and think that it sets the venue apart.

These guys try hard and over the years we've been going we're always impressed with the consistency.