Tripadvisor
South Queensferry

“Not what it used to be”
Review of Scotts

Scotts
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Have been a supporter of Scott’s since it opened and have happily recommended it to friends and family.
Was disappointed when a friendly recently reported that when they visited her sole Veronique was anything but. Dry fish with a thick inedible gloop.
Sadly on our last visit it’s clear that things have gone downhill.
We had booked and didn’t have to wait too long for our table but it was small even for two.
Our waiter ( male and possibly French?) was charming and good though we did see many tables not getting the same quality of service.
We chose to eat from the set lunch menu which seems good value but was sadly lacking. The Calamari was as dry as an old bone. Looked far better than it tasted. My Haggis Bon Bon supposedly with straw potato came with a tiny amount of mashed potato and creamed turnip. The haggis was nicely seasoned but everything was tepid.
The blackened salmon main was dry and again not very hot. My tandoori chicken breast has never seen a tandoor and was nothing like any tandoori I have ever eaten. Lacking in colour, yoghurt and spices. Just a chicken breast on unexceptional rice with a bit of creamy, lightly curried sauce and some naan bread.
View superb food definitely not and to add insult to injury my glass of house wine ( an unremarkable Sauvignon blanc ) which I asked for ( no wine list was provided) cost just under £10!!!
Other than the view sadly not longer a great experience.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (737)

Reviewed January 20, 2020

Family birthday meal, we found the look and feel to be warm and comfortable. All our choices were of good standard.
We found service a bit slow and overhead adjacent patrons making comment to staff !
Guess this is a recurring issue.
We would return but do believe to be slightly overpriced.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

I had given up trying to visit this place, after trying several times to get a table but it always being fully booked. However, it was the choice of a relative for a special birthday meal and we couldn't be more disappointed with the place.

The design of the restaurant is a little over done and trying very hard - there is plenty of atmosphere and a feeling of luxury but it doesn't quite marry up with the menu, abysmal service, or clientele in the place. It's nice if you like dusty, ostentatious light fittings, but the view and location cannot be faulted.

On arrival our booked table wasn't ready, so we ordered drinks from the bar. We were then quickly taken to the table, but waited 20 minutes for the drinks to arrive, which I was willing to forgive as the place was pretty busy.

The overpriced menu is an unusual mixture of dishes that are 10 years out of date, which we felt was the tell tale sign of an "all fur coat and no knickers" kind of place, however, the children's menu was very good. We ordered and our starters arrived after a little longer than usual wait and were quite good. We then sat at a table full of our dirty dishes and empty glasses for about half an hour before we asked the waiting staff about where our mains were. Ten minutes later 4/5 of our main courses arrived and after chasing one of the waitress, the children's meal for my son arrived after everyone else had started. My chicken dish was nice, although the dauphinoise potatoes were hard and not cooked through and my husband said his prawn curry could have been a £20 Tesco Finest microwave meal. An additional glass of wine ordered at the table took about 15 minutes to arrive. The wine cooler from the previous guests sat next to our table the whole time, containing an empty wine bottle, and the waiter kept very neatly folding the napkin over it!

The waiter was kind enough to put the candles on the birthday cake we brought along (together with a rather over the top sparkler/firework!) so we didn't hang around for dessert. We had coffees which were nice, although the warm milk ordered for my son arrived as a beaker of cold milk, but I couldn't be bothered to query this or more to the point wait for another drink to arrive.

So 3 hours and £150 later, we are left feeling very disappointed. I think this place might appeal to a certain kind of customer but we won't be going back.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

Went to Scott’s today with family and friends from Jersey today, unfortunately did not have a good experience, beautiful views over the forth, lovely restaurant, staff were rather solemn , service wasn’t good, received peas on my salad, which they took away changed the plate and presentation!, basically scrapped the food on to a different plate, asked twice for water and mayonnaise, so disappointed ☹️.. won’t go back...

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

Husband and colleagues just walked out after being called liars by the MANAGER!!! Please someone fire this incompetent fool! When they arrived they were told it would be a 15 minute wait. 40 minutes later still no table. Told by this 'delightful' and clearly highly trained manager that it would be ag least another 40 minutes wait. When it was pointed out that the original wait was only meant to be 15 minutes, she rubbished the idea and called them liars! Scotts can do one until they get a new manager. Now lost the business of a large company thanks to her attitude problem She can pop that victory on her CV...