“Overpriced and over-hyped”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Aloysia Street
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The restaurant is set as an upscale experience; not suitable for small children. Prices are a bit higher than average--the restaurant touts itself as being gourmet: it's not. Entre titles are designed to entice--presentation is mediocre; flavors are either very bland or too 'modern-experimental'. for the price you could better at one of the 'mom and pop' offerings along Highway LA-1. For sure, the food would be a lot more filling and taste better!

We ordered the 'Cajun 3-in-1'--was supposed to exemplify Cajun cooking--jambalaya served with etouffee--not sure what the 3rd was. Basically, it was a tepid brown stew with a mound of rice in the center. My partner ordered the fried redfish; fish was slimey and over cooked--vegetable accompanyment were stewed squash--no seasoning and stewed to mush.

The green salad (you pay $3 extra--most of the menu is a la carte) was a small plate of garden 'greens'--not torn or even chopped--just dumped on the little plate with 3 cherry tomatoe halves and a couple cucumber slices. Not worth the cost. Salad dressing was good, though I couldn't identify WHAT it was.

(btw, in MY estimation, sticking a branch of rosemary into a pile of rice--was it supposed to look like a tree on a rock mound?!--is not considered 'garnish' nor particularly decorative.)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Enjoyed the dinner. I had the crab pasta and my husband had the shrimp and grits which he enjoyed very much as well. Plantation and grounds are beautiful.
Dining room is pleasant and wait staff professional.

1  Thank travelonbegone
Reviewed February 24, 2013

1  Thank caveatactor
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Nottoway is a beautiful property with fountains and the mansion is beautiful. I and my wife had lunch here. The staff are friendly and charming. Out seat in back, gave us a wonderful view behind the mansion. The cornbread is great and the fried tomato appetizer was good. I ordered the parm/herb chicken and my wife ordered shrimp and grits. Both were tasty, but we ended up liking the others better! So we switched dishes and finished our meal. Food is good and enjoyed my lunch.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

After we took the tour, we were looking to eat before the trip home. The restaurant closes at 3 to transition from brunch to supper. I looked at my watch at it was 2;55 PM, so before we just barged in right at closing, I walked over to see if they wanted a party of 8, 5 mins before they closed. She checked with the kitchen to make sure there was still someone there, and to see if the cooks were ok with staying a few minutes longer. She was given the all clear, and they graciously seated us, and seemed genuinely happy to do so. The server was really nice, and we were told that the portions were large, which could be easily shared. I am glad she did!. My wife and i split the spicy crab pasta, and it was awesome, came with real crab, not the imitation stuff. The flavor was great, ( I am from La, so I enjoy spice), we also had the bourbon chocolate pecan pie for dessert, which I could die for!. It cost us about $40 to split, with tea, and dessert, which i con't consider to be too high. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone..