“Simply breathtaking”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White Castle
Antigua
“Simply breathtaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

I don't know where to start.

Stunning location, beautiful building, super-friendly staff, wonderful atmosphere.

This is a simply must do for everyone once in their lifetime.

Make sure y'all try the mint juleps ;oD

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

The main house has remained incredibly historically accurate with no changes at all to the structure since it was built. Some of the original closets were converted into modern bathrooms so no walls had to be added. I was a bit confused by a review that claimed it could be owned by Marriott, it looked nothing like a chain hotel. Beyond the main house no other historic buildings were saved, and much of the land contained by the original plantation was sold, but that is to be expected. Contemporary buildings have been constructed in order to accommodate more guests, but I don't think you can fault them for that. The other reviewer also mentioned the moonlight glistening off the river, but I find that hard to believe since the 20' levees were built in the 1920s-30s and you can't see the river from any of the plantations anymore. There weren't any lights at night that bothered me, they highlighted the house beautifully. The tour was great, and the guide was very knowledgeable. She was able to answer every question I asked. The museum was also a nice touch.

We stayed in the boy's wing and the room and bed were very comfortable with a great updated bathroom. I enjoyed the heater in the bathroom exhaust fan. The fact that a cocktail and tour was included in the room price is also unique to Nottoway. We stayed at Oak Alley, Woodland Plantation, and the Myrtles, this was by far the best.

The only confusion and disappointment we had was the fact that we were told that the restaurant was closed for dinner on Tuesday nights, so we stopped for fast food on our way only to discover the restaurant open anyway. Also, we received vouchers for breakfast that stated different hours than the sign outside the restaurant, which also conflicted with printed information we received at check-in. Hopefully, that is all straightened out by now.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mlzoiss
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

The minute we drove up and saw the House, I felt like I had come to a place where time stood still. We stayed in the Cottage 19 and I felt like a young girl staying at my Grandparents house. The front porch with rocking chairs brought back memories when I would rock myself. It was very peaceful and quiet. The only recommendation I would suggest would to have a small refrigerator in the room. And allow pets if possible given that the owners pick up after their pet's mess. I have a cocker-spaniel and hated to leave her back home. She would have loved running the grounds. Nottoway is a place where I could come and relax and let my troubles stay back home.
The food and service was excellent. The staff was very personable. From visiting with the Exec. Chef David to the waiters, hostess, it felt like family and everyone seemed to get along.
When it came time for us to leave, it was very difficult. I felt like we were leaving "home".

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nette56
San Diego CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

In March of 2010, four of us gals took a plantation tour through Louisiana and Mississippi. Nottoway was the top of our list. Two of us stayed at a 'pond cottage' which is new construction and very roomy. There were two beds and even a table with four chairs. The other two gals stayed in the 'Overseers House.' Their room had two beds also but our pond cottage became the 'party room' because of the size and table. We had dinner at the Nottoway restaurant. . .delicious! One gal said the shrimp and grits were the best she had ever had. I shared a steak with another gal and it was excellent. We loved the Nottoway house tour and everyone was just so friendly. Yes, we would definitely go back and spend two days there instead of just one night.
FYI, the plantation is not in New Orleans, it is in White Castle, LA which is a couple hours drive from New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank QueenQuackers
California, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

Wow, want to be made to feel insignificant? Try booking rooms months in advance at Nottoway Plantation (and also paying in full months in advance), and then getting the call two weeks before your trip that you need to moved to other rooms, due to a wedding taking place on the grounds that weekend.
Despite my very clear explanation of how many rooms and beds we would need, the arrangements had not been made by the time we arrived in the late afternoon for check-in. We were not in adjoining rooms, and we had to shuttle luggage back and forth after the roll-away bed was finally delivered.
The second night, the night of the wedding, we were stuck upstairs on a staircase while we awaited the bridal procession. Later that evening, and through the night, wedding guests, who were not staying at the inn, wandered the third floor of the building. They carried on loudly, and rattled doorknobs, as they spilled their beverages on the floors and walls of the historic mansion. When we spoke with staff the next morning, we were given excuses, and made to feel as if it was our fault for not calling someone. I spoke to an assistant manager on the phone about our issues when I got home, and again, was asked about our reasons for not tattling when the guests were wandering, rather than hearing an acknowledgment of their problem with not having locked doors or having had sufficient security on hand for the drunken nuptials. My letter to the hotel manager has not been answered. I think they were just so happy to have booked the wedding party, that they really don't care about a few ordinary guests.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank CA7777
neilcastaldi, General Manager at Nottoway Plantation Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
I would like to have the opportunity to respond to your complaint posted on Trip Advisor and once again to truly apologize to you as I did in the phone call I received from you the day after your stay. As I mentioned in our telephone conversation we have a night security Manager on duty and it is their duties to patrol the Mansion and the grounds to insure our guests are safe and secure. In checking their logs at the time of your noise complaint, he was patrolling the grounds, but we also have in place a communication system which if you had called the front desk to complain of a disturbance, he would have received your call and will have immediately be at your door to take care whatever might have been bothering you.
Of course this would not have taken away the inconvenience you experienced as a result of some unruly guests, and again I apologize for your experience, as my front desk manager also did in one of your previous calls, as well as myself in another call. We do care for our guests and it is in fact the main reason for our continued success, as evident in the hundreds of letters and comments we receive.
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I also will like to inform you that I never received any letters from you as I would have immediately responded to it, as I am doing right now as soon as I read your comments.

Sincerely

Neil Castaldi
Nottoway Plantation
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

The Inn is a superb place to stay and is even good value since it costs less than a mid-range hotel in the French Quarter in New Orleans when you take into account the free tours, free drinks, and excellent free breakfasts that are included (plus a couple of other free things, like free internet, free bottled water in the room, ...). Maybe it is more accurate to call it a super B&B. You can stay in luxurious rooms in the auxiliary buildings with king sized beds, or you can even stay in the main mansion in bedrooms that are part of the tour (though those rooms are more expensive). If you stay in one of the main mansion rooms you sleep in an authentic bed, meaning twin sized or even a little smaller since people were smaller then, but with modern mattreses and modern bathrooms (no the bathrooms are not historically accurate ... thank goodness!). There are a couple of rooms where you have to check in very late and check out very early so that the rooms can be ready for the tours. And if you really want to splurge you can rent the whole place out for a wedding or other event. No signs of any ongoing renovation, or of any of the problems with bugs or bad paint mentioned in some older reviews. A couple of small drawbacks: no cell phone reception (perhaps a plus for some), and the train track is about a quarter of a mile away and when trains pass by they wake you up (so the rooms are supplied with earplugs).

We saw Laura Plantation and Oak Alley. The tour at Laura was the most informative and had the most history. Oak Alley looked nice and has the famous oak trees which are worth seeing, but the tour was only about who handed down the plantation to whom and who drank too much and lost it all, and the rooms could have been in a nice mansion with antiques in Manhattan or Georgetown. We liked Nottoway because it had a good mixture of a good historical tour and an impressive mansion with the classical large beautiful oaks on the property. Also it's in a good location if you want to start in New Orleans and see all three of these plantations (which we recommend) and maybe also Destrehan (which we wish we had had time to see) because it is the farthest one. You don't have to bother to plan your time carefully; you can see as many as you can fit in during the first day, and on the way home the next day you can catch any that you missed, plus a swamp tour.

One of the best parts of the stay was the restaurant, which we liked as much as the good restaurants in NO that we ate in. It was a slow night and after the meal we took a look at the kitchen and the chef talked with us for a few minutes. He is of Mexican origin and trained in Toulouse France before coming to Louisiana to learn Creole cooking, so he has a broad range of culinary knowledge. The dinner was spectacular. Our favorite dish was shrimp and grits with ground chorizo. The shrimp were huge. We got a side of spinach with crabmeat which we expected to have not much crabmeat in it because it only cost $6 but it was about two thirds crabmeat. There is a great crabcake appetizer where you get a crabcake maybe 5" in diameter on a bed of spicy mango salsa for about $9. For the full breakfast (included) we had eggs benedict and a perfectly cooked vegeterian omelet.

Great place. Worth an overnight visit.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JoeLikesBali
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

I recently visited the plantation with my wife. I was disappointed after having stayed in and visited other plantations. The accommodations were nice and the house is certainly spectacular in every way. the problem I have with it is that it lacks a soul. You feel as though you are in a hotel or any resort, but not sharing an intimate moment in history in one of the greatest homes in America. Everything is so ultra modernized that I felt like I could have been anywhere USA. Some of the choices made by the owner with regard to the additions for the property are stunningly out of place and context with the period: The fountain is a modern eyesore in this setting, an iron figure with a trickle of water would be more appropriate. How about swans on the pond and turn off the gaudy spray! The palm trees in the formal garden are very puzzling...certainly would never have found the likes of them in any formal garden in Louisiana of the period. Even the modern brick sign out front and the gate houses and added structures are motel-esk and very contrary to the context of the whole. The blasting lights! Everything is lit like a Christmas tree and this is tragic since the first visit we had at Nottoway was in the 80's when none of this existed and a moonlit night was to be appreciated more at this place than anywhere. Sitting on the balcony at night and hearing crickets and seeing the light of the moon on the lawns and the glistening on the river was a moment to last forever in your mind. The awe of the tranquility and the lifestyle that once was in this remote country setting is gone forever! The place may as well be owned by Marriott and exist within the well traveled streets of any city. Many will not see what I have noticed but will feel it if ever they had had a romantically historic experience in some other home as it is lacking here. The renovation of the home is a good thing and it shines...the rest is a result of poor planning decisions and a disregard for the integrity of the place...If you are looking to experience the time period, you are best to seek other homes such as Madewood Plantation or The Cottage Plantation. I will not return here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
#3 of 77 in Baton Rouge
Comfort Inn Donaldsonville
Comfort Inn Donaldsonville
#2 of 6 in Donaldsonville

Been to Nottoway Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!