“Can't Compare! Very Grand!”

Nottoway Plantation Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White Castle
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

The kind people at Glenfield Plantation in Natchez told us on the phone to drive to Natchez from New Orleans taking LA Hwy 1. It is absolutely breathtaking this highway of rich homes and sugar cane plantations! What a beautiful find!! Nottoway is Spectacular!! The home tour is one of the grandest we've experienced and remarkable architecture. A must see!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Writermaggie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Had a fantastic time at Nottoway. The place has been lovingly restored and any new buildings are perfectly in character with the antebellum architecture of the main house.
When we checked in they realised we were on an expensive room-only rate so moved us immediately to a cheaper package which hadn't been available when I had booked - this included dinner and breakfast, which was extremely good of them and much appreciated!
Room was comfortable and very clean - mattress protectors were a little bit plastic and I'd suggest they look to get some more comfortable quilted ones, but other than that I cannot fault the accommodation. The pool is small but nice and they have a small gym and recreation room. The gardens are beautiful.
The restaurant was magnificent - lovely white tablecloths and excellent food and wine, all reasonably priced. They were very accommodating with my veggie diet.
We did the tour of the mandion which was included in our rate and my expectations were totally exceeded. Knowledgeable and friendly tour guide who really seemed to enjoy her job and the questions we asked her. The house has been restored amazingly and it was fascinating to learn about the history. They also have a small museum which was interesting.
We heard that the owner only died a couple of weeks ago, so I really hope that whoever takes over keeps it in the same state and doesn't seek to make it overly corporate or commercial, because right now it has both quality and individual character.
One thing to watch out for are the trains which run nearby and make quite a lot of noise - try to ask for a room as far awar from the tracks as possible - although with the food, wine and country air, you'll have a good sleep anyway!
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Get a room in the main house for the full antebellum experience!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheSavvyTraveller
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My wife and I found this resort by accident - it was a valuable find. We were looking for a restaurant and found this location. The restaurant experience (food and service) was so good that we decided to spend the night. We are glad we did. The cottage suite was spacious and very nice. Late night cocktails and breakfast were expensive, but worth it. You need to ask yourself one question: "Am I willing to go about 30 minutes out of my way for a great experience?" If your answer is "yes" then you should travel about 30 minutes off I-10 to stay for at least one evening here. The stay was relaxing and full of old southern charm. There were too many pros to list. The only con was their Spa was a bit mislabeled - I would expect a Spa to provide more services then just hair styling and nail services. There is also a train that runs in the distance on ocassion - if you are a very light sleeper, this could bother you (I personally thought it added to the charm of the location).

Room Tip: I found three different types of rooms: (1) executive suite with kitchen and separate bedroom, (2) c...
1  Thank ABQfamilyguy
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have stayed here twice now. The first time we stayed in the carriage house which was like a hotel room. It was very nice. We went back couple weeks ago for our anniversary and stayed in the mansion. If you can afford the little extra its worth staying in the mansion. We stayed in room 1. Had a view of the levee and the river. It was beautiful. The view from the bathroom window of the fountain was very pretty too. We got to roam around the mansion at night to go from the restaurant to the 3rd floor where we were staying. It felt like we had the whole house to ourselves. It was awesome. We were not ready to leave the next day. It was so peaceful and elegant. Out of the plantations here in the south, Nottoway is my absolute favorite. It is just beautiful.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We felt like royalty staying in an upper floor bedroom with windows overlooking the mighty Mississippi River! Period furnishings, some original to the home, make the stay unforgettable! We had complete, unaccompanied access to the entire mansion..from the sweeping balconies to the all white magnificent ballroom. We could sit on the second floor balcony watching the boats travelling up and down the river.
We ate in the adjoining restaurant and it was excellent both in quality and service. We asked for the mansions museum to be reopened late at night for our own viewing and the manager Jim was very happy to accommodate our request. My wife accidentally lost her diamond ring and it was promptly returned to her in the morning, after being found by restaurant staff.
An amazing experience, the highlight of our vacation. We visited Oak Alley on our way to Nottoway but wished we had just spent all our time at Nottoway. It is a beautiful and interesting mansion/ hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in one the original families' bedrooms at the front of the house overlooking the Missi...
3  Thank michlees
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I last toured Nottoway with a friend in October, 2013. I live in MS and always include Nottoway on the schedule when I bring friends to visit. Over the years, I've become increasingly disappointed in my experiences. I cringe every time I see the sign out front stating it's also now a resort. The day we visited, a wedding was taking place and as we stood in the main hall, a young woman kept walking back and forth to the ballroom in very loud shoes and it was very distracting. As a former tour guide, I must say that unnecessary distractions can ruin a tour. For me anyway. I've also been there while other weddings were scheduled and some rooms were not included on the tour. I'm paying to get the full tour and I don't feel it's fair to charge full price for half of a tour. I understand maintaining such a vast complex costs a great deal and certain measures must be taken to bring in resources to help fund it but Nottoway has just become too commercial in my opinion. By the way, Margaret has been the tour guide for my last two visits and she is wonderful! I love Nottoway and I'll be back. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We took the quick tour of the grounds since we were restricted by time. The Plantation home from the outside is HUGE. It was very impressive. We watched the short historical film in the museum which tied everything together which made it even better. It was worth the stop but expensive for a quick 30 minute walk around the home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near White Castle
Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel
#11 of 77 in Baton Rouge
Home2Suites by Hilton Baton Rouge
Home2 Suites by Hilton Gonzales

Been to Nottoway Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!