Nottoway Plantation and Resort
La Quinta
$56
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Candlewood Suites Gonzales(Gonzales)(Great Value!)
$83
Priceline
$143
$121
1,350 results
All reviewsthe main housethe cottagesmansion tourprivate pooltennis courtshoneymoon suitecarriage houserocking chairswedding weekendrestaurant staffbeautiful propertymississippi riverfront porchhot tubbreakfast buffetbaton rougesouthern hospitality
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Enjoyed a wonderful stay at Nottoway. Stayed in the Carriage House and was pleased with the appropriation of the room and large bathroom. Was very comfortable.

The restaurant is outstanding. Had the spinach strawberry salad which was beautifully presented, well dressed, and delicious along with a tasty crab cake. Kudos to the chef.

Because I live in hotels literally I never find many things to take exception with while staying in one. It must be clean and the toilets need to work. That's pretty much my criteria. Toilets worked fine, but there was a small problem with the room's cleanliness. I was unable to locate the TV remote and did not want to bother the front desk with such a minor problem. I looked under one of the beds and located 2 batteries, the remote, several bobby pins, an empty can of hairspray, and lots of dust bunnies. This really shouldn't happen.

Outside of our room there was a used q tip that was stuck to the adjacent room's door mat. It was there during our entire stay along with a crushed beer can on our front lawn and a full trash can by the stairwell.

I have no doubt this property was very busy during our stay and prior to our arrival, but these situations take seconds to remedy. A quick sweep under the beds, picking up some small bits of litter, and emptying the trash. These little things get noticed by all (and obviously spoken about) yet take such little time to improve. The plantation is too lovely to be marred by such small matters. Yet it does make an impression.

I do highly recommend a trip there and a tour. Our guide, Margaret, was great and provided us with a thorough tour through the home which was fascinating. Front desk service was helpful and kind. And eating at The Mansion should be mandatory!

Attention to the littlest things will make the biggest impact in future stays.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rzrbktraveler
Jennifer D, Manager at Nottoway Plantation and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for your true honesty as this is how we are able to best communicate with our staff the importance of making our guest experience the best it can be. This review has been passed on to our housekeeping manager who has already posted it for our housekeepers to see. In your post, you stated that we were probably too busy too notice these things, but on the contrary we were trying to re-open our doors after the hurricane to accommodate our guests who had standing reservations. In the chaos of things, this may have resulted in the overlooking of the smaller things on property, but none the less needed to be attended to. Again, thank you for your post, as I am confident these things will be corrected immediately.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We picked Nottoway out of a long list of plantation houses and had very high hopes for our stay abut it was not to be. We were given a room in the Carriage House. The room was pretty and well-appointed at first glance but disappointed when inspected properly. The toiletries were cheap generic ones (we got exactly the same ones at our NOLA hotel where we only paid USD 149 per night). In addition, despite the room having two queen beds (ie they are expecting more than 2 persons to sleep in the room) the bathroom held exactly 4 towels (2 large, 2 small plus 2 face cloths). The water pressure in the room was very poor which made for a miserable morning shower. Worse of all was the view from our hotel window, which was that of a selection of air-conditioning unitsm a small grove of trees which was littered with (builders rubble?) and what looked unhappily like used toilet -paper. The outside door-mat to our room was also sodden and thick with human air.
Check-in the evening before was done by a most friendly and professional older gentleman. This was in contrast to the lady (sitting down, no make-up, no sense of customer service) on the morning checkout, who didn’t even enquire how our stay was….We took the bull by the horns and told her what needed to be improved but she didn’t seem the slightest bit fazed or embarrassed but simply said ‘oh, well we will look after that’ ...No apology offered. We asked for an umbrella to view the grounds but were informed that there were ' none for visitors'. We were however permitted…. (oh gee thanks!)to use the staff umbrella on the understanding that ‘we brought it back, its our only one’. The grounds and the footpaths were all so sodden from the rain that we had to take off our shoes to view the front of the house….in the end, we were so disillusioned that we left without taking a photograph at all. Tip to Nottoway, re-train or replace your cleaners, garden staff but most certainly your check-out lady. The rhetoric in your brochures is lovely but a tad hollow/pathetic now that we have experienced the reality. Thanks but no thanks, Nottoway.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the carraige house!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sandra_BT_Hannon

We appreciate your review; I am pleased to respond that we have made several changes since your stay. Yes, we have always had umbrellas for sale in our lovely gift shop, but now offer rain ponchos to our guests at a rate of $3.85. This will greatly help those of you who are travelling to our facility unprepared for our afternoon rain showers we get throughout the month of August. We strive to make each of our guests comfortable and do provide enough amenities and towels in each guest room based on our double occupancy rates, if for any reason extra towels are needed, housekeeping can always be found or a quick call to the front desk and someone will be on their way to your room with the extra towels.
We greatly understand the view of the field behind the Carriage House, and it is for this reason we now provide rocking chairs at the front of the building for our guests to sit and appreciate the grand view of our mansion. We thank you for your visit, and hope that when you visit in the future you are pleased with the changes we are always making in order to satisfy our guests.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We enjoyed our getaway at Nottoway Plantation! We stayed in Room 15, Mary Randolph room. The room has 15 foot ceilings with 11 foot doors. The bed was comfortable (one of the few queen beds in the main house). The pool was lovely and private. Breakfast was buffet with the complete offerings of hot and cold meals, including yogurt, granola, fruit, eggs, sausages,bacon, grits and biscuits. Service was excellent. The tour is worth taking and costs additionally. The recent owner spent $15 million to make Nottoway Plantation a resort destination. You'll be pleased!

Room Tip: For the full historic value of staying on the plantation, request a room in the main house.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank claudiaisin
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I made this trip to propose to my girlfriend. I arrived and had reservations to stay in the main mansion. I got to my room and the cleaning staff had not cleaned it from the night before. I called the front desk and was informed that the cleaning staff had already gone home for the night. We were "upgraded" to a suite. It was quite nice, but there were spiders webs in the shower and I found five spiders in the room the one night we were there. We had our own hot tub as part of the upgraded room and it had bugs floating in it. Overall I was very unsatisfied with my stay. The restaurant was amazing. The manager there is amazing and totally helped to salvage the evening.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ryan B
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here in June for one night during a driving tour of the south. The hotel itself was lovely and clean although location wasnt great but that's no fault of the hotel!

I booked through agoda months before and paid upfront. Upon checkout they gave me my receipt and I thought that was the end of it until I got home and they had charged me again directly! I emailed and queried and they said they had refunded but when I checked the refund was short, it was probably because of the exchange rate but that's not my problem! I have emailed numerous times about this and I am being ignored! Probable because they know the likleyhood of me returning is slim but that is poor service!!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank hatty95

Thank you for your post. I would like to make all of our international travelers aware, that if they are booking through an outside online company and the exchange rate changes, they will need to verify with said company the policy if a refund is warranted. In this particular case, we did refund the exact amount charged, and feel like we have done all that is possible to make this guest happy.