“Stay away from Lake Charles, La”

Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Westlake
Mart, TX
“Stay away from Lake Charles, La”
Reviewed March 27, 2008

I am not even sure where to begin on this review. We stayed at the Inn across from the casino. I am a single parent who was traveling with 2 teenagers. Ended up in Lake Charles due to inclement weather returning from visit to LSU. Decided that we would try the "value" priced Inn rather than a room at the Casino. Upon check-in, (only one person at desk) it took about 45 minutes to get into the room. Said all they had left was a smoking room, even though I had been told by prior phone call that there were plenty of rooms available. Arrived 15 minutes after phone call to find only smoking rooms. Checked in, got all luggage up to room and decided to go accross the street to casino buffet to eat. Came back to room about 2 hours later to find that A/C was not working. Called maintenance and found out about an hour later that indeed the A/C was NOT working. Maintenance said he would go tell front desk and find us another room. Miraculously, he found us a room right down the hall (room# 666) that was non-smoking, 2 double beds. We moved down the hall in pajamas (it was about 12am). After we moved everything in and settled down, a strong odor was seeping out from under one of the beds. I had one of the teenagers lift up the mattress and box springs to see if he could locate something under the bed. There was a plastic bag under the bed that had something inside that smelled like rotten flesh or blood. There was dark hair or something against the side of the bag and it the bag was swollen looking. I immediately started throwing up from the strong odor as did the teenagers. (so much for the $20 each buffet). I called the front desk and told them there was something under the bed that was dead and that we could not stay in the room. The gentleman who answered the phone (at the casino hotel~because no one was at the Inn front desk at this time), was very rude and said "well, I guess we can put you in a suite at the Casino Hotel but it will cost you". I told him I was stranded at this Hotel. It was 1am in the morning. I had 2 teenagers with me, it was pouring down rain outside with tornado warnings and I had no choice but to stay at the hotel. He then said, "well, I guess I could upgrade you to the better room at the same rate, but you will have to bring all your luggage and drive over here and check in." I had no choice but to load up and go to the casino hotel. The new room was clean and nice, but it was old. All of the hotel rooms seem really dated. But, by the time we got checked in and to the room it was almost 2am and I just needed a bed to lie down in. Upon check-out the next day, they were rude and asked how many rooms I had been moved to. I tried to explain that I had been in three different rooms and tried to explain the circumstances. I was told that they would not charge me for the room at that point. But, guess what.....I got my credit card statement and I was charged full price for a room. And no one would tell me what was found under the bed in room 666. I just know it had yellow caution tape accross it when we went and checked about 12noon the next day. The lady at the front desk said that when she came to work at 6am, that security was all around but no one said anything about what occurred. I think Isle of Capris is covering something up and something happened in this room #666 at the Inn and they don't want to admit to it. No one would tell me anything. But, it was a horrific odor that haunts me and my teenagers to this day.

We had a horrible experience with Isle of Capri Casinos and will NEVER stay there again. At least not in Lake Charles, La.

Rude staff, understaffed, poor condition of the rooms, run down and out dated, smelly and obviously dirty.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything~dead body or body parts under bed
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank LSUParent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Louisiana
Reviewed March 6, 2008

My husband and I spent one night at this casino. We were visiting family in the area. I had read reviews about this hotel and was warned about booking a room online so I called in my reservation. We stayed in the rooms that are attached to the casino. We stayed in room 219, no smoking, king bed. If you are looking for a view this is not the room for you. The only view from this room is of building pipes. The best thing about this room is the bathtub, it is very large. The room does not have a refrigerator and for the price we paid ($159.00) it should have one.
We enjoyed our time in the casino and had a great dinner at the Farraddays. I had the lobster and my husband had the prime rib and we were both happy with our meal and the service.

• Liked — Great food at their restaurant.
  • Disliked — You could hear what was going on in the next room, very thin walls. Pets are not allowed!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
louisiana sulphur
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We live 10 minutes away from Lake Charles so we are familar with the casinos and hotels. We had our Mardi Gras Ball this weekend and had family coming in, we all wanted to stay togather somewhere and possibly use a limo service to bring us back to the hotel. We wanted to book at the big "L" casino that everyone rants about. I called to reserve and their normal rate is $199 but they booked an act so it was $399 a night, too much for two nights. So we decided on the Isle, only $149 a night. We all booked in the tower. They have recently put in new beds and now use really nice sheets with down comforters, like bigger chains. In addition to the bed we had a sititng area with a sofa and chair with a seperate tv.We really enjoyed the jacuzzi tub, big enough for 2 people. If you can get past the tropical theme with lime green, orange and hot pink it is a great room. The rooms were clean and appears they are doing some updating.It took us a while to check in, they always seemed busy. They were friendly and very helpful though.

We usually don't eat at the buffett at the casinos but the breakfast is good. Right across the bridge is the best seafood locally, Steam Boat Bills. They offer true cajun home cooking, Gumbo, etoufee, pistolettes, crawfish..it is all.

• Liked — The Jacuzzi Tub!! Great value for the price.
  • Disliked — Checking in
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We had booked the tower suite and here is what we DISLIKED..

1. They had overbooked and made us wait for about 1 hr, even though we had driven about 7 hrs( from florida back to Houston)to get there ontime

2. The front desk people are utterly rude and the guy asks me to come after 1 hr without even apologizing

3. When we explain our driving ( we were mad), the supervisor who is this black dude comes in and asks me to take a "Smoking room"
for which we refuse since we are NOT smokers.

4. He then tells us that he gave us an option and we did not take it, which is untrue since we had booked for "Non-smoking"

5. The black dude and his staff needs some training very badly onto how they should talk to people

6. We enter our rooms finally and what do you know....the jacuzzi had a BIG stain, the comode was not cleaned at all..and all this after paying $130+...

It was late and hence we checked out in the morning and wrote a review in the casino as well. I have pictures of the stain and the toilet etc which I will post with this...Next time we will go into one of the "Quality INN", "Holiday INN" rather than pay twice and stay at this awful place. I dont normally bad mouth a place, but this was the worst of the kind

3 Thank niceguyy80

Travelers are raving about these Westlake hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2008

We reserved two rooms in the Inn (across from the Casino) at this property for $50/night each. When we arrived, they only had one of the reservations on the computer, but they did provide us with the second room because they were not at capacity.
The room was large, but the carpet and furnishings were outdated. The sheets were rough and the blanket was paper-thin. We pulled off the bed spread the second we entered the room, for it appeared disguisting. I did not want to touch it.
The room was directly across from the vending machines. The machines were loud and the walls paper thin (just like the sheets) and every soda can that dropped from the machine echoed through out the room.
Although there was staff at the front desk at the Inn when we arrived, there was no one there at 10 PM. If I had been traveling as a single woman, this would have concerned me greatly.
Overall, if the other hotels are booked when you wish to go gamble in Lake Charles, I would recommend changing your weekend before staying at this hotel and visiting a very mediocre casino.

• Liked — nothing.
  • Disliked — location next to chemical plant, plus everything I listed in review.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Champagne77007
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Decided to treat our daughter on her 21st birthday by driving over from Houston and letting her learn the experience of gambling firsthand. As with many first-timers, her 'experience' was firmly in the red, but she had a great time. How do you lose $100 in penny slots? Ask my daughter.

Anyway, we chose Isle of Capris because it was close, available and reasonably priced, at least compared to their main in-town competition, Leberge du Luc. We paid about $150 per night for a Fri to Sunday stay. Had to call the property directly since there was no online booking, but the phone rep was nice enough and the reservation came through without a problem. Check-in was no picnic, since the line was long and there was only two check-in agents. Even so, our line moved faster than the VIP line. Sometimes it pays not to be VI. The booking agent said we had a suite in the Tower and even though I asked specifically if it was a 'real' suite (i.e., two rooms, not a single room with partial dividers) and was told it was, the room was indeed a large room with partial dividers. On the other hand, for the time we spent in the room, the two queen beds, two TVs, sectional couch and huge bathroom with Jacuzzi was perfectly adequate. My guess is the comped rooms may be a bit bigger, perhaps true suites. Hope you like green, since the tropical theme is pervasive throughout the resort. Nothing subtle about decor, but we took it in stride. Our second floor view, though facing the lake, was also overlooking some temporary buildings. On the positive side, there were no stairs to the casino, just a walk down the hall. Though both casinos were technically on boats, they haven't left the docks in years, so no sea legs required. The restaurants were so-so and a little expensive. Since you'll have a car, the shopping mall and a multitude of restaurants are only about 10-15 minutes away.

All in all it was a fun trip. Again, not Vegas, but certainly worth a 2.5 hour drive for a day or two, and considering the cash we dropped in the penny slots and at the tables, perhaps my next trip will be comped. Have fun!

• Liked — Room size, value.
  • Disliked — Color scheme.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Retired in Texas
Reviewed December 25, 2006

We booked out room mid Nov. for Dec 24-25 stay. The internet site led me to believe I was booking the hotel connected to the Casino--that is what I wanted. We arrived to check in, long wait, only one staff person checking in guests. Finally my turn arrives and the gal informs me that I'm booked over at other bldg. and I said why was that, she said, well you booked on the internet and thats what you get---if we have any rooms here it would be higher then what you were told. I said, no I was quoted 139.00 per nite and want to stay here, said well its only 57.00 per nite over there and thats where they put you. Rather then argue since man behind me was fuming from standing in line, I reluctlantly agreed to take the other side. That was a big mistake. The paper thin walls made for hearing talking and flushing toilets, the hallway traffic was extremely noisey and those people had no regard for other
guests. They advertise mint on your pillow--well not in the cheap seats which is where I felt I was put. I will never stay at the hotel again---I had reservations and a confirmation # since mid Nov. and I get stuck in the low end accommodations. I wanted to spend my holiday in a nice special place---I didn't get that, I do intend to write to the hotel manager and register my complaint.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Talk to live person, confirm where you will be staying and what you'll get for the Money
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brazens
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westlake
Golden Nugget Hotel
#12 of 34 in Lake Charles
Hampton Inn Lake Charles
Hampton Inn Lake Charles
#4 of 34 in Lake Charles

Been to Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles? Share your experiences!