“Okay for a "stop-in"”

Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Westlake
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Let me preface this with we were on our way through and were looking for a place to stop, the hotel met our needs, and was fun compared to a roadside hotel off of I-10. We stayed in the Tower Hotel and paid $109 for a Tuesday night stay. The rooms were nice, in a cheesy tropical decor sort of way. It was like a trip to a Miami hotel in the seventies. It was a retro tropical, but the rooms were not dated, the hotel has been remodeled, so it was pleasant in a outdated tropical look sort of way. The bathrooms were very spacious with a jacuzzi tub, separate shower and toilet area. That was a nice surprise. Being that is was a Tuesday night, the casino, the bar and the restaurant were nearly empty. This is definitely a weekend destination for people who like gambling. Overall it was nice, good for a one night trip, but I wouldn't plan to make it a destination. However, if gambling in the Lake Charles Louisiana area is your goal, this would be the place to stay.

Room Tip: The Tower if you are looking for gambling activities, the Inn for a quiet nights stay.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Bonnie C
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at The Isle of Capri Casino Hotel. We always appreciate the feedback, and we are glad that your experience either met or exceeded your expectations. Our two hotels are styled differently for exactly the reasons that you recognized. We believe that different guests have different needs, and this also helps to separate The Isle from the competition along the I-10 corridor. Although we are not necessarily a destination, we do offer all of the amenities that a destination would offer.

And, of course, we are always working to build a positive relationship with our guests and to build loyalty through great guest service experiences. Although gaming is first among equals in our product offering, the needs of our guests are paramount to our existence. We hope that you will choose The Isle of Capri Casino Hotel as a destination on your next trip across the country, giving us the opportunity to pleasantly surprise you once again.

Vice President/General Manager

Reviewed August 3, 2011

At first glance our suite was nice looking but then I noticed how dirty the bathroom was..sink, floor and bathtub had not been washed down..then noticed smuge marks on the mirror by the bed (not that big of a deal) The worst was our room being terribly hot! 78 degrees!!!..The lobby is just as hot if not hotter. The buffet was the worst I have ever been to. This casino is really trashy and low class and I will never return here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank liann67
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Thank you for providing feedback concerning your visit to the Isle of Capri Casino. We strive to provide all of our guests with a clean, safe, friendly and fun entertainment destination. We do have safeguards in place to prevent issues brought up in your posting from occurring. I apologize that our procedures did not prove to be failsafe.

You did not mention if we were provided an opportunity to correct any of your complaints while you were here. I feel it is important to get immediate feedback from our guests in order to allow us to make amends for our shortcomings. We hope that you will give us another chance to show you that we are working hard to improve our operations.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Staff lied. Ventilation in casino is horrible. Food was terrible. Service in casino was very slow . Waited half an hour to get a red bull. This is an old casino and an old hotel. My wife and I will not return.
Front desk clerks not curtious , slow and untrained. Took 3 times to transfer call to room service.
Smell outside rooms was very unpleasent. 2nd casino was not even an option because it was so stinky. This was a bad stay for us, and I really am disappointed with previous reviews, because it makes no sense how others can say it was a beautiful and great place .

• Stayed: July 2011
7  Thank Tripp777
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Thank you for your feedback concerning your visit to the Isle of Capri. I am sorry that you had a very poor experience during your stay a few weeks ago. I wanted to confirm and document our conversations that we have had over the last couple of weeks.

I am sorry that we had difficulty during your check-in providing you with the requested bellman and bell cart. Normally we are able to promptly assist our guests with their luggage needs. We will work on that in our bell department.

As you mentioned, we do permit smoking on our casino floors. Smoking is permitted on five of the six decks of gaming floors at the casino. Our third deck on the Crown Casino is a non-smoking floor offering a variety of live poker games to enjoy. We recently installed an HVAC control system that should assist with our air temperature and air quality in the casino.

It sounds like we were not very prompt with our beverage service. Our beverage management team and casino operations team will work on ensuring that we are providing timely beverage service. In the future if you do not receive prompt beverage service, I would encourage you to speak to a casino supervisor.

As you mentioned, we are an older casino and hotel property. However, we take cleanliness very seriously. If there are any problems with your stay, our very knowledgeable management team should be able to assist you with any issues that arise. We want to make sure that we consistently provide a clean, safe, friendly, and fun experience each time that you visit.

Once again, I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations and our entire team will work hard to improve on our service delivery. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

This was our 2nd stay and we stayed in the tower. What we liked is the view of the lake area, the large jacuzzi tub, customer service, free drinks at casino and bright colors of hotel. My 2 year old LOVED the extra TV in the sitting area and he was amazed by the little TV in the bathroom. I personally did not like that the hallway always smelled like smoke (I had a non smoking room), room serive food was not good (seemed old and no flavor) and the fact that our matress seemed to sag in the middle. I cant really say many negative things but we are thinking of try the newer casino they built next time. The Isle just seems old comapred to it.

Room Tip: I heard they updated the Inn part, not towers.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rheana
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2011

Thank you for taking a moment to drop a note regarding your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit, (including the view of Lake Charles), our service, and our amenities. As you mentioned, we did upgrade the Isle of Capri Inn within the past few years and we have received compliments on the décor and room features. I am hopeful that we will be able to refresh the Tower rooms in the near future. Regardless of the timing of the refresh, we do pride ourselves on the cleanliness and size of our Tower rooms. I hope we have an opportunity to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

This was our second trip staying in the tower with the Jacuzzi Suites, we stayed on a package that includes the room, the newly upgraded breakfast buffet that features steaks and some free play in the slots or table games (your choice.) There prices are much less than Lauberge Du Lac

There was a plumbing problem where they had to move our room and they were fast, professional and friendly and took care of us.

The lady who makes the omelettes in the breakfast buffet $ 6.99 is really sweet and will make you almost anything you want, not just omelettes.

Great trip, yes the hotel is a little dated, but it was clean, the staff is friendly and actually rooting for you to win.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi choice, either in room or in bathroom
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Larry S

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay. We have made several recent improvements to our buffet and, as you mentioned, we still have the friendliest team members in Southwest Louisiana striving to make your visit memorable. Our facility is a little older than some of the others but we are paying attention to the details. We focus on being clean, safe, friendly, and fun! Thanks again for your comments; we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed at the Inn Saturday night. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the rooms. Nice comfortable beds, nice tv and all the rest of the regular needs were provided. We called for more towels and they arrived with a smile within 15 minutes.

This casino is no where near as flashy and new as the other in town, but for what it was, it far surpassed our needs.

I did have 2 negatives.
1) The buffett was very lackluster for the price. It served the job of putting food in us, but it sure as heck wasn't good.

2) As this is a casino, it should be catered a bit more to adults. We spent some time out by the pool and it would have been nice to get some adult beverages out there, or at least let us bring them in(responsibly)

If you are in town just to gamble and have a comfortable place to stay, I would highly encourage this over the other casino. If you want to be seen, to see, to party and gamble with very high limits, go to the other one.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank cleetus97
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel and casino. Although we may not be as “new and flashy” as others, we have some of the friendliest, most experienced, and service-oriented team members in Southwest Louisiana. We also have a terrific selection of table games and loose slot machines to choose from.

I also appreciate your other comments. We recently hired a new executive chef who is helping us improve the quality and variety of food in our buffet and at our other restaurants. We are focusing on increasing the number of fresh and flavorful products that we offer, including a selection of local and regional cuisine. In terms of your comments on the pool, we do have a number of families that visit our hotel and enjoy the pool; however, we do plan on offering adult beverages in the near future. Hopefully, you will be enjoying your favorite cold and relaxing beverages poolside before long.

Thanks again for your input. I hope that we see you again real soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2011

We had dinner at the "buffet". Very expensive, ate off of plastic plates with plastic forks and knives. The food was extremely poor quality. The only thing edible was the dessert.
I was truly sick for two days afterwards. We are from Houston and that is not news that carries well in that city. The rest of the time there was ok. Machines seemed to pay well and they had a good band with dancing available.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank happy64003
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2011

Thank you visiting Isle of Capri and taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I can certainly understand your frustration with your experience. We recently completed a six week renovation to our buffet. During that time period we were operating a temporary buffet out of our event center. As you indicated, we were temporarily using plastic plates and utensils and using chafing dishes to serve our food. I apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered. It sounds like you may have visited our buffet during our “all-you-care-to-eat-crawfish” celebration. During crawfish season, we do slightly increase our prices but we think that we serve some of the region’s best crawfish at a very reasonable price. Now that we have returned to our permanent location, we will continue to make improvements to our buffet and are committed to serving fresh, flavorful food while supporting our local farmers and providers.

I am glad that that you enjoyed the rest of your stay including your time playing our slot machines and dancing to the live music. We believe that we have one of the friendliest and most fun entertainment destinations in the area. I thank you for your patience during our buffet renovation and hope that you will give us another try in our permanent location. Thanks again for your comments.

Paul Hutchens

Also consider these accommodations in or near Westlake
Golden Nugget Hotel
#4 of 38 in Lake Charles
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Lake Charles
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles South
Wingate by Wyndham Lake Charles Casino Area

Been to Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles? Share your experiences!