“Pleasantly Surprised”

Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Westlake
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed at the Inn Saturday night. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the rooms. Nice comfortable beds, nice tv and all the rest of the regular needs were provided. We called for more towels and they arrived with a smile within 15 minutes.

This casino is no where near as flashy and new as the other in town, but for what it was, it far surpassed our needs.

I did have 2 negatives.
1) The buffett was very lackluster for the price. It served the job of putting food in us, but it sure as heck wasn't good.

2) As this is a casino, it should be catered a bit more to adults. We spent some time out by the pool and it would have been nice to get some adult beverages out there, or at least let us bring them in(responsibly)

If you are in town just to gamble and have a comfortable place to stay, I would highly encourage this over the other casino. If you want to be seen, to see, to party and gamble with very high limits, go to the other one.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank cleetus97
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel and casino. Although we may not be as “new and flashy” as others, we have some of the friendliest, most experienced, and service-oriented team members in Southwest Louisiana. We also have a terrific selection of table games and loose slot machines to choose from.

I also appreciate your other comments. We recently hired a new executive chef who is helping us improve the quality and variety of food in our buffet and at our other restaurants. We are focusing on increasing the number of fresh and flavorful products that we offer, including a selection of local and regional cuisine. In terms of your comments on the pool, we do have a number of families that visit our hotel and enjoy the pool; however, we do plan on offering adult beverages in the near future. Hopefully, you will be enjoying your favorite cold and relaxing beverages poolside before long.

Thanks again for your input. I hope that we see you again real soon.

Paul Hutchens

Reviewed April 30, 2011

We had dinner at the "buffet". Very expensive, ate off of plastic plates with plastic forks and knives. The food was extremely poor quality. The only thing edible was the dessert.
I was truly sick for two days afterwards. We are from Houston and that is not news that carries well in that city. The rest of the time there was ok. Machines seemed to pay well and they had a good band with dancing available.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank happy64003
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2011

Thank you visiting Isle of Capri and taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I can certainly understand your frustration with your experience. We recently completed a six week renovation to our buffet. During that time period we were operating a temporary buffet out of our event center. As you indicated, we were temporarily using plastic plates and utensils and using chafing dishes to serve our food. I apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered. It sounds like you may have visited our buffet during our “all-you-care-to-eat-crawfish” celebration. During crawfish season, we do slightly increase our prices but we think that we serve some of the region’s best crawfish at a very reasonable price. Now that we have returned to our permanent location, we will continue to make improvements to our buffet and are committed to serving fresh, flavorful food while supporting our local farmers and providers.

I am glad that that you enjoyed the rest of your stay including your time playing our slot machines and dancing to the live music. We believe that we have one of the friendliest and most fun entertainment destinations in the area. I thank you for your patience during our buffet renovation and hope that you will give us another try in our permanent location. Thanks again for your comments.

Paul Hutchens

Reviewed February 25, 2011

I needed a quick getaway, and booked a room for two nights in the Tower @ Isle of Capri (Lakeview - 6th floor).
First, let me start off by saying that after reading prior reviews, I was a bit wary, but, everything turned out fine. The room was very spacious & clean. The decor was a bit kitschy, but not overly so. The draperies, & sofa were definitely in need of updating / replacing. The huge whirlpool tub made it worth looking past the negatives. The bed was firm, but covered with a featherbed. BEWARE-If you are allergic to down, ask if they have rooms without the featherbed & down pillows, or if they can be removed before your arrival. I also did notice the "noise" mentioned earlier from the riverboat, but it was only intermittent, and didn't disrupt my sleep.

The breakfast buffet was only $6.99 - a good price, and adequate. Did not eat any other meals in the buffet. Tradewinds was a good choice for a quick lunch or snack. And I had dinner one evening at Otis & Harry's - A very good, cajun rubbed ribeye that did not need any other seasonings or steak sauce. It was very tender and grilled perfectly although the vegetables were limp and way overcooked. Room Service is available 7Am to 10pm - and the menu is fairly limited for my taste.

I found all the staff to be friendly & smiling. Had a problem? It was fixed. Needed a question answered - done! Wanted a drink in the casino - it was there in a flash.

All in all - it was a positive experience, and I would stay again. Just needs some sprucing up & a bit of an interior 'facelift'.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Travellingranny
LindaFerguson, Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2011

Thank you for sharing your positve feedback with us. We hope you next visit is as memorable as your last one!

Reviewed February 20, 2011

I have stayed at both the tower and the Inn and the are both in need of being remodeled. The carpet is all dirty and stained the shower was slippery like it hadn't been cleaned and the tub was just down right dirty. I believe it times to make updates and hire better cleaning staff.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank jolson39
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I stayed at the Isle, played the slot machine for over a hr and quit went to the bar myself to get a drink. Stayed 2 nites here. and the service of the waitresses was awlful. The bartenders great. Watched Chubby Checker at the show he was wonderful... Go Chubby you look great. He loved the people.... The band playing in the club was also good. Our room in the tower was not ready by 3pm. Had to keep asking when it would be ready by 4 we were in the room. The buffet was not so good.. I asked for a water view they said they had none... They did.. The rooms in the tower where old and worn, I looked out of our balcony and the pool had all sorts of tree limbs and garbage in it. It is closed this time of yr but come on. Clean the pool please... I have visited this casino many times and they need some improvements... Listen management..........

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank grandmatexas
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I find the little hotel outside of the casino to be rather low end. I only go if I have comps or just need a place to rest btw casinos. The inn is run down and non-smoking rooms often smell like smoke. It is not well kept, hallways nor rooms. The inn's staff are always friendly. I am usually with others or else I wouldn't stay at all. The inn is just not clean enough. If you can stay at the other casino, you would be better off.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank lsutdw
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I thought I had booked a room, through Travelocity, at the Inn at the Isle. The Inn at the Isle is the lower-end, more "motel" accommodation and not attached to the casino at all. It's actually a good walk across the parking lot.
I hadn't been to the Isle of Capri since about 2002 when I came here to gamble and drink while living in Houston. The casinos are more fun here than in Vegas, just because the staff aren't stuck up at all and you can just go up to the bar and order a drink for free. If you tip the bartenders at all (I don't think many people do), they treat you really well. But I'm not much of a gambler and neither is my partner, so I don't know that we're their target demographic, especially since I no longer live anywhere near there.
We got in about 9pm and I went to the cramped front desk area at the Inn. The woman looked my reservation up and told me to hold on because she had to call someone about it. Turns out that the reservation had somehow been moved to the hotel across the way. That would annoy me normally, but I paid something like $50 for this room and I knew very well that the hotel across the way was much, much nicer than the place I thought we were going to stay. I moved the car because I didn't want to haul the luggage across the lot, but I guess most of the casino patrons feel the need to park in the surface lot (it's actually closer to park in the garage if you're just going to the casino, but Texans don't like parking garages), so we didn't get much closer.
We ended up with a huge room on the 7th floor overlooking the lake and the bridge. It was such a pleasant surprise to be in such a nice room when I was expecting a generic motel room. There was a jacuzzi tub and separate shower, three TVs (including a small one in the bathroom), a desk, couch and, as I said, a great view of the lake, bridge and city. We were toward the end of the hall, so we were away from the boat.
We spent part of the night just walking around the casino, playing a couple of slots and drinking the free drinks. Had some interaction with some really, really nice staff and actually ended up having a really good time there. I had good memories of the place, and wanted my partner too as well. She seemed to really enjoy it, if only for the really nice room (especially the jacuzzi tub).
Now this was Thanksgiving Eve and I booked it just a couple of days before we came, so that may have something to do with the ridiculous price I paid for this room. I would have paid a lot more than what I did though, because it was certainly worth more.
The only weird thing about the room was that there wasn't a real door on the bathroom, just a sort of vented, wooden French door. It was just strange but I'm sure it's mostly couples that stay in this room anyway, so it's not really a big deal, or at least it wasn't to us.
I was worried about noise that night because they get so many obnoxious Texans here, but we ended up sleeping really well and were able to get up at a reasonable time the next morning to continue the drive.
I would absolutely stay here again and would recommend the place to anyone. I had thought about just getting a cheap road motel in Sulphur or even Jennings, but I'm so glad I chose this place.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank colinaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westlake
Golden Nugget Hotel
#4 of 38 in Lake Charles
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Lake Charles
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles South
Wingate by Wyndham Lake Charles Casino Area

Been to Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles? Share your experiences!