“Glitchy stay” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in West Monroe
Louisiana
“Glitchy stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

Shower in morning wouldnt get hot for husband; much later in day it did for me. Enough chlorine in hot tub to scald your eyes even if you dont get any in your eyes, just fumes. But main gripe is, front desk apparently told housekeeping we were only staying one night. Husband at a a work thing, I was stuck in room, put off doing anything like shower or nap till housekeeping came. At 1 still hadnt come but carts in hall for hours. At 130, housekeeping knocks and woman says there will be a man along in a minute to clean room; she says, you know it is after 1 o'clock. OK, I said, thinking wow I was putting off stuff for the one knock, now I have to answer two? And after closing door, realized housekeeper was saying I ought to have checked out already. So I called desk and person says oh well did you just now decide to stay an extra night and I said no (I am still in the hotel as I write this and looking at my Hilton Garden online printout of the two nights I booked, which they saw when I checked in). Clerk says OK well tell them when they come back that you are staying two nights. I said actually I need them to come back right now and refill towels and stuff as it is getting kinda late and can you tell them I am staying two nights. (When did it become my job to tell housekeeping how long I am staying, never had to and I stay in hotels dozens of nights every year.) I tipped housekeeping well, not their fault really. Havent cared for desk staff here in general, odd since I usually find desk staff so accommodating at most hotels that we bring them back a fancy dessert from whatever restaurant we go to. Will probably stick to Hampton Inns in future, which tend to have friendly, trained staff. This place is new and pretty and clean but that only goes so far.

• Liked — New, pretty, clean, room service menu
  • Disliked — Extremely excessive chlorine, some staff, cranky shower
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

This was a refreshing stay for me because it is the first stay in a while where nohting went wrong!
From the start, it is a beautiful new hotel on its own, not surrounded by much. That will probablly change in the future, but it was nice to be away from the activity, but still close enough to reach if you want.
It is easy to see from I-20, but it does not sit right next to it. My room faced the opposite directoy, so i cannot comment on the road noise. From what i've heard from other people who have stayed in the area, this is one of the few hotels that is not located next to train tracks. Trains are VERY common around here, and i can't imagine trying to sleep with them constantly passing through.
I have never stayed at a Garden Inn before so it felt like a nice step up from a Hampton. I got 2 free bottles of water when i checked in and my room had a nice mini microwave and mini fridge. The room was beautifully furnished and had a new HDTV widescreen tv, it wasn't flat panel, but it was still nice. They have a good selection of channels, 70 or so?
I didn't find any wireless internet though, just the cable. *Rant,* how come the bottom of hte chain hotels have wireless, but the higher quality hotels only have the calbes? I want my wireless!
Bathroom has nice Granite countertops and in the shower. Quiet toilet flush!
Breakfast wasn't included, but since i'm a diamond member, i got vouchers for free made to order breakfast.
I enjoyed this stay and will definetly look out for Garden Inn in the future, they are wonderful!!

• Liked — room quality and comfort
  • Disliked — a few small noises from fridge and air
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

I check into the hotel on a Saturday evening and it was okay i walk in the hotel and it was like wow!! really really nice and super clean!! I notice on the way to the hotel they must of had a convention across from the hotel alot of horses and cowboys i was assuming a rodeo show! anyway it didnt bother me at all! the room was okay i was put in #109 and thought nothing of it later that night i heard noise from next door i thought someone just had the tv up loud i realize that it was the gym right next door to my room! had to go in their and turn the tv off! anyway i wanted to do something special for my lady and deck out the bathroom with candles i ran her a bath and didnt realize till she told me the water is going down! i was like no way! i went into the bathroom and seen that the water was going down the lever for the stopper or should i say hold the water it was broke! i call the front desk and told them about it they say they will bring someone to check it out tomorrow since it was so late well i should of known that the next day was Easter Sunday and they probaly wasnt going to come! the room was nice the king size bed feels so good i dont know what it is but its so comfortable didnt want to get out the bed when i lay in it! Later on that morning housekeeping came to the room i just ask for towels and told her about the tub and the lever is not working! she say she will get the engineer to take a look at it! i wonder if he even bother because i got back that night and was highly mad that it was the same way! they were lucky i had to check out the next morning because i would of ask for a another room! and to top that off at 5 15am the fire alarm goes off! i thought i was dreamin till i woke up and it was really a fire alarm! so i got dress and headed to the nearest exit i waited outside in like 37 degree weather for 5 minutes the alarm went off and nobody came outside to tell anyone it was okay to go back inside now! so i went back inside! didnt hear the fire trucks or nothing hopefully the hotel will get better in training their personal to handle situations like that one! the crazy part about this is i work for a hotel and i was shock! very shock

• Liked — Nice room
  • Disliked — The distance from my family & friends
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

My assistant booked three rooms for me and two senior managers who were visiting the area for the first time. The desk clerk told her that she had made three reservations but since they were putting all three on my credit card, she would just send one confirmation email. But not to worry -- three rooms were reserved. At 4:00 on the day of the trip, the hotel called my home to find out whether I intended to book three people into a room with a single king bed. I called and explained what we had been told. The lady who called told me that only one reservation had been made but that she could get us three rooms, although they might not be the type of room I had reserved. I told her that we needed the rooms and asked her to be sure that she had my credit card holding all three rooms because we would be arriving at the hotel very late. She said that all three rooms were guaranteed for late arrival on my credit card. At 11 p.m., someone else from the hotel called my home -- waking my husband and children -- to find out whether we still wanted the rooms. When we arrived at the hotel at 11:30 p.m., the desk clerk was confused and appeared to be very inexperienced and untrained. He did get us checked in to three separate rooms (and they were all the room type I had reserved). My main issue with the hotel was the incompetence of the desk staff since they made several errors that indicate a general lack of training and and experience. Beyond that, the hotel is pretty new so the rooms and public areas are in good shape. The bathroom was less clean than it could have been since there were some hairs in the bathtub, but other than that, the room seemed fine. The mattresses at this hotel are similar to Sleep System mattress in that there is a dial where you select your desired degree of softness/hardness (however, the brand is not Sleep System). I prefer a hard mattress but at the "optimal" setting, this bed felt like a slab of granite. I set it at the softest setting and had no problems. Both of my companions complained about the hardness of the beds, however. They had not found the instructions and didn't realize that the hardness could be altered. One final thing to note is that Hilton Garden Inns charge for their buffet breakfast, although it isn't much superior to what is served free at most business class hotels these days. After paying $150+ for a room that was not superior to a Hampton or other similar hotels, I thought that charging for breakfast was unreasonable (especially if you aren't interested in an omelet and bacon). There was nothing so bad here that you should avoid the hotel, but it would be a good idea to reconfirm your reservations ... maybe more than once!

Stayed March 2008
Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2008

This hotel was AMAZING! The staff was friendly, the Food was excellent and the rooms were very clean. I had a friend who stayed here earlier in the year and they were less than pleased. However the little girl at the Desk told me that there was a new manager and they were Top 10 in the nation for guest satisfaction out off all the Hilton Garden Inns now... For me they lived up to that for sure.

• Liked — The Lobby area
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank sunny1180
Alexandria, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

Hotel is new, having been open less than one year. Hotel staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Room was clean and well furnished. Room includes microwave and refrigerator. Free wi-fi and printing to hotel business center. Breakfast at hotel restaurant was well prepared and tasty. Restaurant area was also very clean. Location is easy access off and on Interstate-20, but is secluded enough to be very quiet. Heated indoor pool. Will definitely stay here again when in area.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank ronip
near Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2007

This a very new and beautiful hotel and a great improvement to the Monroe/West Monroe area. Our room was huge, beautifully decorated and the staff very friendly. The lobby is nice and quiet. When we checked in we got coupons for free drinks and breakfast with our Hiltons Honors membership.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Wingate by Wyndham West Monroe
Wingate by Wyndham West Monroe
#11 of 14 in West Monroe
TownePlace Suites Monroe

Been to Hilton Garden Inn West Monroe? Share your experiences!