“Not Bad for a Theme Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Willie's Duck Diner - CLOSED

Willie's Duck Diner
Cuisines: American, Diner, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jacksonville, Alabama
“Not Bad for a Theme Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is not the type of place I would usually stop. However, I was hungry when I pulled off the interstate for gas and decided to give it a try (just to say I had been there). I ordered poorly with the appetizer, fried gator and crawfish pretty much tastes the same anywhere. It was good, just no better than any other I have had. The duck and andouille gumbo was another story. It was quite good. Very flavorful and a little spicy. Banana pudding was very tasty also. My expectations were low when I walked in but I was pleasantly surprised. Service was very good. It's worth a try.

• Visited March 2014

Kansas City
“Good food and good times”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We had terrific service and appreciated the simple and Louisiana influenced menu. We had the po boys, mac and cheese, and fried shrimp and enjoyed it all. The complimentary hush puppies, though, were my favorite. I could have had two baskets!

The memorabilia was represented by family photos, that were from shows and other more personal moments. The televisions were playing none other than duck Dynasty which added to the fun for my kids, aged 11, 9 and 2.

Our server was awesome and she gave us attention when we needed it, but did not hover, which I appreciate. She shared some little known facts, for example, where the family sits when they all come in to enjoy a meal. Let's just say... This was much better than Willie's wine venture.

Finally, there are Miss Kay menu items. Not sure I know anyone who is a fan that would not like to try a dish by Miss Kay. Small gift shop too with quirky kitchen items and t-shirts.

Amarillo, Texas
“Duck,Duck, no Goose”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

The duck gumbo was really good. The waitress we had was very personal and friendly. The meal came with hush puppies, corn bread, and rolls.

Visited March 2014
jacksonville, fl
“Pleasantly surprised”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Wasn't sure what to expect since I didn't even know there was now a Duck Diner in existence. Our family are fans of the show and travelling from TX to MS we couldn't deny the begging of our kids to visit Duck Commander. Seeing the restaurant and it was lunchtime, we stopped here before hitting the highway to our next destination.
The restaurant was clean with the expected hunting decor. TVs aired Duck Dynasty episodes for diners to enjoy (I couldn't help but notice the episode was Si cutting the frog legs haha!) while enjoying their meals.
I felt that some of the entrees were a bit pricey but since I wasn't ordering any of those, it didn't matter to me. I enjoyed the seafood gumbo and my one regret: ordered a small rather than a large! It was the best gumbo I've eaten in a very long time. Compliments to the chef. The family enjoyed their meals as well---kids ordered the regular stuff...burgers, fries. Husband had the hamburger steak though he really wanted meatloaf and mac n cheese but just couldn't decide.
Our waitress seemed more concerned with ensuring she was given her fair share of tables than actually taking the time to ensure we were actually getting much more than average service from her. Sat with empty drinks while she continued to walk by saying "I'll get your refills..." and FINALLY filling their cups. Trying to get her attention to pay our bill seemed like an endless wait.
I'd eat here again. I'd order TWO large seafood gumbos and I'd ensure that we weren't seated in that server's section. I noticed the other VERY friendly wait staff who seemed to truly enjoy their jobs and the folks who came in to visit.
Otherwise, this restaurant didn't disappoint nor impress. It was a place to stop to eat and continue a little more of our fun Duck Commander detour.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank lilbucfan
San Antonio, Texas
“UUUUMMMMM; MAC N CHEESE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

I was seated immediately. The waitress was friendly and encouraged me to try the smothered pork chops. I usually have burgers at unfamiliar restaurants but decided to do something different. The pork chops were amazing and the mac n cheese was amaze-balls; the okra were just fried okra. The only issue I had was the wait time in the gift shop. Another customer and I waited over 25 minutes to buy items. I only stayed because I couldn't get the diner t-shirt any where else. Food really good; I just hope they get the shift change thing together so customers don't have to wait that long.

Visited March 2014