“could have been better” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Louisiana
“could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I enjoy Tex-Mex food and like to try local restaurants. (I think this is local.) The service and decor were fine. The food came promptly, but with the salad and entree arriving together. I ordered cheese enchiladas with rice and refried beans. I expected chili on the enchiladas, but they came covered with cheese -- the same as inside. Way too much. The rice was seasoned well, but the beans seemed like they may have come from a can. The salad was simply shredded iceberg lettuce with shredded cheese and a tomato slice. The dressing was from a package. The Margarita was good.

Visited January 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“Good Mexican”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

El Sombrero was not my original destination this evening but upon the recommendation of a good friend who knows Mexican food I decided to give this place a trial. Normally this place would not garner my consideration as it appeared to be a chain (though unknown to me) and I try to avoid chains in my travels. First, the obligatory salsa and chips. The salsa has a distinct cilantro flavor and is, for my taste, perfectly hot. Combined with fresh chips, this was a good start. Dos Equis on tap, fairly priced, and as I discovered on checking out, 2 for 1. Liking this place better and better. Dinner was well prepared, hot, and despite some initial hesitation, quite good. Best Mexican food? Hardly. But tasty and not a disappointment. Well staffed but not as enthusiastic as I had been led to believe. Cannot tell if this is the best in the area due to lack of experience but not too shabby.

• Visited October 2012