“Housekeeper Stella, among other things, ruined my stay...”

Wingate by Wyndham West Monroe
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Monroe
“Housekeeper Stella, among other things, ruined my stay...”
Reviewed February 19, 2011

BUYER BEWARE. In all my travels I have never experienced such a bad hotel stay. The minute I checked in I had my first run-in with the housekeeper by the name of "Stella". This woman is the definition of obnoxious. While attempting to urinate, the toilet seat appeared to be broken and
would not stay up. After the toilet seat inevitably slammed down once, Stella decided it was her place to knock on the door and loudly scream,
"You break it you buy it!"

Later that night, another friend that was staying in the floor above told
me that his roomed started to smell like sewage.

The next morning really was the
breaking point for me. Around 8am, Stella decided it was time to clean...loudly. She also had a friend to keep her company and to loudly
converse with. If that's not enough to wake up even the hardest sleeper, she had another very
effective method of waking
everyone else up. While cleaning
the rooms, instead of keeping the door open with the hundreds of methods that don't require noise, she decided to keep the door open with the big metal latch so every time she walked in and out the door loudly slammed against the latch.

Would I stay here again? I would rather sleep in my truck. How many hotel reviews have I actually wasted time completing? This is the first.

Spare yourself the disappointment and find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Bvice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Vicksburg, MS
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I stayed in the Wingate, and was somewhat disappointed. I placed an online reservation, and when I checked in, I did not get what I requested, and was told it's because when placing an online reservation, the added information if never relayed to the front desk, so basically you get what is given to you. My room was nice, and clean, but the bathroom was extremely small. It was so small you had to close the door to get in the shower. I requested a handicapped accessible bathroom, but I was not accomodated. Deal breaker!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these West Monroe hotels

baton rouge, la
Reviewed December 21, 2009

This was a very nice place! Clean, fairly new decor, nice indoor pool and jacuzzi, very comfortable bed, staff was very friendly and helpful and nice breakfast with many options including some hot stuff. Great location too - near shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I have stayed at the Wingate in WM several times because I often visit family there. Until my last couple of visits, I found the Wingate to be an appealing place to stay. It was clean, convenient, and well-priced. However, I stayed there over Christmas 2007 and again for Easter 2008 and the hotel has experienced a noticeable deterioration. It's mostly little things like the fact that the in-room coffee maker wasn't even rinsed when the housekeeper cleaned the room. Also, the comforters probably need to be replaced after several years. The chair in my room was badly stained by who knows what. And something I've never seen in all my years of traveling - the housekeeper left a note on the bedside table reminding guests to tip! In my previous stays at the Wingate, the other guests have typically been families and business people. That seems to be changing. These days I see more young people who are using the hotel as a "romantic get-away" or for partying. The list of rules at the front desk was surprising - no food or drinks in the room, no hanging out in the hallways, etc. That made me think that there's been a whole lot of partying going on in that hotel recently. I think the main problem is that the Wingate is just getting older and the owner does not want to spend the money to keep it looking crisp and fresh. That's a shame. There are newer hotels in the area that I will try next.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — cleanliness; noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2004

We stayed at the Wingate in West Monroe for one night, 10/8/04. Our check-in experience was superb, with a very friendly desk clerk. She initially put us in a smoking room, although our preference was nonsmoking. (I *thought* I'd specified nonsmoking in my reservation, but maybe I forgot.) I phoned the front desk immediately, and we were in a new and smoke-free room within minutes. Everyone we encountered, from front desk personnel to maids in the hallway, greeted us warmly.

Our room was comfortable and very clean, pleasantly decorated and tastefully furnished. We had a refrigerator and microwave, along with one of those nice coffee nooks with a mirror behind it -- ideal for doing makeup. There was an iron and board in the closet and a very good hair dryer in the bathroom. Only one complaint about the room: The mattress was really hard.

The room had free broadband internet -- a choice of DSL or wireless LAN -- and no pesky password gateways to go through to get online. Wireless internet at no charge is practically a necessity for us, and not a lot of places in West Monroe have it in such a reasonably priced room.

Breakfast was included with the room. As we frequently find with hotel breakfasts, however, there was NOTHING but carbs: cereal, pastries, toast and waffles. Oh, yeah, there was fruit, but we'd swiped an orange and an apple from the breakfast area the evening before and found them both rotten (ugh!), so we didn't feel like chancing the fruit again. That said, we're used to hotel breakfasts that don't offer much for the carb-conscious, so we don't knock off too many points for it.

(For breakfast, we went to a nearby Shoney's. There was also a Waffle House within easy distance.)

One other note: There was a very nice fitness center full of new-looking machines and no one on them. Too bad we didn't have time to give that a try. There was also a popcorn machine in the lobby. Nice touch.

I used to live in this area, and I visit it frequently now. I've stayed in several area hotels, and Wingate is the one I will pick from now on. It's a great value, the staff is great, and they have the amenities I can't do without.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member