“Salty and expensive”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Mosca's had been on my list of restaurants to visit since I saw it reviewed in the New York Times over a decade ago. I had my chance tonight since I was close by. Unfortunately, it was a waste of time and money.
First of all it was so noisy in there I couldn't think straight. The dining room was cold and the toilets opened right onto it. The menus were stained. Not a good sign.
The choice is limited to chicken, one steak, spaghetti, oysters or shrimp. One soup and 2 salads for starters. I was surprised that there was no fish offering at all and nothing typical of New Orleans nor very Italian except for the spaghetti or one of the chicken dishes.
I ordered a small salad and the oysters. My mom the chicken. The salad was so salty I couldn't eat it. The waitress nicely took it off the bill. The oysters were covered with buttered bread crumbs that completely obliterated their taste. My mom's chicken was ok but again salty. The only good things we had were the wine and the cheesecake.
The bill for 2 people came out to $81. I think it was way overpriced for what you get. I'd describe this restaurant as a family restaurant that price-wise wants to compete with upscale restaurants but makes no effort.
One last note: It only accepts cash which given the prices is surprising.

1  Thank JamesinSeville

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We've been to Mosca's dozens of times. It is an icon that is 30 minutes outside of New Orleans on highway 90. The place has not changed probably since it opened. Today, it's run down, dilapidated as I've seen several reviewer call it. Small and unique. Best way to locate it is to look on the left hand side of the road where all the cars are parked. I promise you if your thinking about a 7:00 table be there at 6:00. However, I did see on my last visit that they started taking reservations (guess some traditions do change). The food is good, not great, but good. The best way to eat at Mosca's is family style. The on the spaghetti and meatballs the meatballs are the size of tennis balls, the sauce is flavorful. The chicken la' grande is roasted in garlic and rosemary, a must. Oysters Mosca's has been seen on TV shows over and over again by a multitude of famous chefs, a little too much breadcrumbs for my taste but well worth it. All-in-all worth the the trip to say you've eaten at Mosca's

1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Great service and fantastic food in a unique setting. Worth the little drive out of town. Take cash or be prepared to pay the ATM fee - no credit or debit cards allowed.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

An amazing mix of Italian and Creole just outside New Orleans in Avondale. Unpretentious, a real restaurant, family owned and loved. I never miss a chance to eat here, (since 1990) and it's one of those places that you will always associate with fond memories of Southern LA. Take a group, drink wine, and eat everything. Relax, enjoy, embrace the moment with those friends, the food and make a wonderful memory :)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Mosca's is a little authentic Italian resturant on Highway 90 about 45 minutes from downtown New Orleans. It is on the left hand side and is a little white delapidated building (no disrespect intented).

Dress casually and expect a wait. Mosca's does not accept reservations but they have a great bar and wonderful drinks while you wait. Most of the people there are locals and make for interesting conversations.

All the food is served family style and all is basic good food. My favorite is Osyters Mosca's which is baked oysters in a bread mixture with artichokes and numerous Italian spices and goodies. The crab salad is also superb. These two items make the trip to Mosca's worthwhile.

The original Chef Mosca (bless his heart he has passed) was at one time personal chef to Carlos Marcello, reputed Godfather of the New Orleans' Krewe of mischief. Chef Mosca was also the chef at the old Elmwood Plantation Resturant. Unfortunately, that resturant burned down many years ago...no-one seems to know the cause of the fire.