“Great hotel but Breakast not child friendly”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vidalia
Reviewed September 10, 2007

As other reviewers have said this appears to be the best hotel option in the Natchez / Vidalia area. We used it as a base to explore Natchez which is a short two minute drive across the bridge.

We had a 'river view' room on the third floor which was great for watching the traffic on the River and for the view across to Natchez.

We had only two concerns with our hotel stay:

1) The parking is across the frontage road from the Hotel in a general community parking area that is bounded by the levee. It is not well lit at night and we were a bit concerned about security of our vehicle, so we took all our belongings out. It was some distance to cart all the gear into the hotel and back out again.

2) The cooked breakfast is served by the staff (and the helpings were plenty big enough for us). However, apart from the cooked fare, there was only cereal and fruit. Our children didn't want the cooked food (quite salty) and they didn't have any toast, bagels, donuts, yoghurt etc for the children to eat. This is the first hotel with an included breakfast that we've stayed in where we didn't get these options and I felt that the hotel let themselves down and affected an otherwise good impression by not offering these for children.

We dined at the Magnolia Grill at 'Natchez under the Hill' (down on the river under the cliffs at Natchez), which is highly recommended. We had a great view of the river from their conservatory seating (you may want to pre-book for seating with this view) and great food at reasonable prices.

Stayed: September 2007
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites

Reviewed August 22, 2007

When I first began staying at this hotel, the rate for a standard room with no view was $80. Now, that same room costs $119. The hotel is outstanding and I've never had a bad experience there, but it is very overpriced for the area. There are a couple of new hotels being built in Natchez, one in downtown and another on the bluff where the old Ramada was, so hopefully those new places will help drive down the price of the Comfort Suites back to something more reasonable. But as of right now, this is the best stay you will have in Natchez/Vidalia.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank BayouGirlSouth
Reviewed August 12, 2007

There was a heat wave in the area, so we decided to check into a hotel with an indoor pool on our way from Mississippi to Louisiana. I have a strong prejudice against the Choice Hotels chain because of several prior bad experiences with my credit and debit cards being tied up with huge preauthorizations. However, this time I had an extra credit card with me that I normally don't use, so I put that issue aside this time around and decided to give the Comfort Suites in Vidalia, LA a try.

We came as walk-in guests with a AAA card, but even so I felt that the "discount" rate of $107 plus tax was unreasonably high for such an economically depressed part of the country. No joke, this is a place where people really do work for the minimum wage of $5.15/hour (just raised to $5.85). I thought to myself, "They must be trying to keep the local riff-raff out or something." I realize that Natchez, the city across the river in MS, is a tourist attraction with a riverboat casino, but still the price really annoyed me and set the tone for the rest of the stay.

I didn't like the decor of the hotel. It was intentionally done in dark, depressing brown everywhere, as if trying to imply that this modern facility was an old hotel from the 19th Century, which it obviously is not. As for the layout of our guestroom, it was another Choice Hotels thing that irritates me. Choice calls a room a "suite" by making it slightly longer to include a pull-out sofa without any partitioning or privacy (as opposed to, say, Homestead Studio Suites where you can close the door to the bedroom). The length was offset by narrowness and it was hard to navigate the room with its bulky brown furniture and heavy bedding (comfy, yes, but this recent gimmicky trend of adding superthick bedding makes me wonder sometimes).

But we came to swim, and that was a real disappointment. A family reunion was being held at the hotel, with a bunch of minimally supervised young boys doing "cannonballs" in the small pool and generally making other guests feel unwelcome. The staff didn't keep enough towels at the pool to accommodate the group. We made ourselves comfortable in the nearby business center until most of the rowdy kids were gone, since they had been commandeering the tiny hot tub and the pool temperature was actually chilly.

The best part of the stay was the bar which could easily be reached from the pool area by a connecting outside walkway. The friendly bartender made the tastiest Margaritas I've had in ages, and at a reasonable price for a change. Too bad the patio area was in such close proximity to the riverfront that the mosquitoes were everywhere and drove us back inside.

The next morning I was awakened quite early by someone who rang my phone and hung up when I answered. I couldn't hold the hotel responsible for this; it was most likely another guest who dialed a wrong number. So we got up and redeemed our voucher for the hot breakfast, which is not a buffet but rather a small choice of typical items ladled out to you on a plate by the waitstaff. I thought the ladies were quite pleasant, as was another friendly woman who appeared to be the front desk manager.

Comfort Suites is probably the best chain hotel in the Natchez area, but I still came away feeling overcharged. Next time I want to go swimming at a nice local hotel, I'll head further down the road to Marksville and pay half the price.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank BuickMackane
Reviewed April 4, 2007

The Comfort Suites is a very nice hotel. It is new, clean, and quiet. Suites were very spacious and there were plenty of towels. There is a great view of the Mississippi River. River view rooms were great, and there is a patio running along the back of the hotel for dining or sunbathing. We especially liked the extra tall ceilings on the 3rd floor.
The hot tub was small, but the jets were just right. The temp. on the pool and hot tub could be turned up a little. I don't think you have to worry much about it being overcrowded as the majority of the guests are seniors on bus tours.
The food in the restaurant was very good and dinner portions were gigantic, easily a meal for two, or leftovers for the next day. Prices were reasonable.
The hot breakfast was also good. However, I have two big complaints about this. We stayed for several days and had to get our breakfast tickets on a daily basis instead of letting us have them all at once. This seemed ridiculous and a little inconvenient. Second, the breakfast was a buffet, but you weren't allowed to serve yourself. You had to tell the staff what you wanted. I thought the whole point of a buffet was so that you could get the amount of food that you wanted. This was served cafeteria style and we never got the right amount of each item. Why can't you serve yourself??
For the most part we really enjoyed our stay. We were rather upset on our last night when we returned to our room late in the evening to find that our key would not work and we had to make 2 trips down to the front desk to get them fixed. Other people were having the same problem. I don't know what was going on, but the clerk didn't seem very apologetic. If it hadn't been for this incident we would have given a 5 star rating.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HUSKERTRAVELER
Reviewed September 25, 2006

Comfort Suites was the best hotel that I have stayed in.
The rooms were so nice (big). The view was great,
the service was excellent, pool was awesome and the
breakfast was delicious. Oh and the lobby
was just beautiful. There isn't anything bad to
say about this place. My family and I had a wonderful
weekend here. I will surely go back.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank andgin
Reviewed August 2, 2006

I am from the Natchez - Vidalia area, and on a recent trip home I booked a room at the new Comfort Inn Suites for one night and one across the river at the Eola in Natchez for one night. Admittedly, I only booked a room at the Comfort Suites because the Eola was booked for the first night of my trip. All I can say is that I wish like hell I'd stayed at the Comfort both nights. It is clean, brand new, offers free breakfast in the mornings and has an amazing, unpretentious staff. Plus you are - literally - 10 paces from the edge of the riverwalk with a great patio and a quiet atmosphere.

The room (which was a very basic room with no view) had it's own fridge, coffee maker and microwave. Plenty of room for clothes, relaxing, and the hotel has an indoor pool and a business room with 4 computers. You WILL NOT find anything better in this area...believe me, no one knows better than me. My second night at the Eola was completely sleepless because of bar noise that went on until 5am from across the street, among other complaints including, old smelly rooms and no free breakfast (not even coffee!). It left much to be desired comparably. You CAN NOT go wrong with this pick!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank BayouGirl8
Reviewed May 22, 2006

I'm OCD (Obsessive Compulsive) about cleanliness at hotels I stay in. My husband's father just passed away and we had to make an emergency trip to Ferriday, LA. Unfamiliar with the area, I searched online for what appeared to be the neatest
and cleanest hotel I could find in the area--as I tend to feel very uncomfortable in
old/run-down hotels. I obsess about all the "germs" lingering from previous guests,
etc. Thankfully, I came across Comfort Inn Suites located on the Mississippi Riverfront
in Vidalia--just 20 minutes from Ferriday. As it appeared to be the newest and probably
cleanest hotel in the vicinity, I booked our stay.

We paid the AAA rate of $89/night. They never actually asked to see our AAA membership card--just gave us the rate we booked on the internet. Although $89/night is probably high for the area--it is a much more depressed economy than the Dallas metroplex in which we live--I was happy to pay the amount for the security of mind that I was not "germ-infested".

Benefits: A complimentary breakfast buffet is included with your stay. It is better than most buffets at hotels and included all of the following every single morning: Biscuits, Gravy, Sausage, Bacon, Scrambled eggs, Grits, Muffins, variety of cold Cereals, Milk, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Iced water, Fresh melon, Sliced oranges and coffee bar. The food was fairly tastey and we would've paid $6-7each plus tip had we eaten a similar meal elsewhere. Note that vouchers for the meal are required--but can be picked up at the front desk on your way to breakfast without any hassle.

The hotel is set on the Mississippi riverwalk and has a very serene view. There is an outside patio, on which many guests enjoyed their breakfasts. Also located on the premise is a restaurant open for dinner, though we did not dine there.

Other benefits include a nice indoor pool and hot tub. We didn't use it, but it appeared to be a nice facility.

The showers had enough room for larger guests--sometimes showers are too tiny to accomodate all sizes. Our room had a king sized bed (not quite as firm as we'd like it), 32" tv, microwave, coffee pot, fridge (with small freezer section), desk, desk chair, sofa with fold out bed, and lounge chair. Also included in the bathroom is soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower cap and lotion. Hairdryer attached to wall. Internet access is available--but is not wireless capable. You can get an ethernet cord from the front desk as we did--but they will charge you $20 at checkout if you don't return it. Also available to rent on the tv are pay-per-view, select music channels, and even Nintendo games. We brought our Playstation 2 and had no problems connecting it and playing.

KIDS Benefit: Although we have no small children, there is a water play area just up the walk from the hotel. It's nothing grand--but a nice FREE diversion for the little ones. Water spouts up through holes in the concrete in about 10 different spots at varied intervals. Children (and adults, too, if they so desire!) can run around in the water to cool off in the southern heat.

Overall, we had a very nice stay. We would definitely stay there again. If you make a reservation for this hotel--you may want to ask for a room that faces the river, as opposed to the parking lot.

8  Thank FriscoCheryl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vidalia
Natchez Grand Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Natchez South
Super 8 Natchez
Super 8 Natchez
#9 of 17 in Natchez

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!