Laura Plantation: Louisiana's Creole Heritage Site
and up
Laura Plantation Tour
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Vacherie
More attraction details
Owner description: Go beyond the myths of the American South and explore the complex and intimate relationships of 4 generations of one Louisiana Creole family, both free and enslaved. Laura’s new, permanent exhibit examines in biographical detail the lives of Africans on the plantation, from enslavement into the 20th century. In the heart of Plantation Country on the Mississippi River, the fully guided experience includes the Big House, gardens & original 1840s slave cabins. Laura is open daily from 9:30AM - 5PM except for major holidays. The first tour of the day begins at 10AM with tours beginning approximately every 40 minutes thereafter until the last tour of the day at 4PM. Before or after your Laura tour, enjoy authentic, homestyle Cajun and Creole food at B&C Seafood Market and Cajun Restaurant right next door.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The story of Laura Plantation is incredible. We loved the plantation and insight to life in those days. It's wonderful that they have such thorough records and firsthand written accounts from that time. My mom bought the book written by the mistress of the plantation and we are all anxious to read it. The Brer Rabbit stories originated there as well. Our guide was Camille. (I'm almost positive that was her name.) She was excited and full of great information. My only complaint is the way she raced from place to place. I am a young, healthy person and I had to almost run to keep up. My grandmother and another lady who was at least 75 didn't have a chance of keeping up. I'm sure they missed a lot of information because Camille would start talking as soon as she reached the next stop of the tour. There were also A LOT of people on our tour. When we went from room to room they made us all cram in so that the door could close completely behind us. It was sometimes VERY tight. I guess that shows how good the tour is - they are overflowing with visitors. If you are trying to choose a plantation to visit, I would definitely recommend Laura Plantation.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,120)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"cajun encounters"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We visited this plantation through Cajun Encounters. The size of the tour group (32 ppl) did take slightly away from the tour, as it was difficult to hear and see everything the guide was saying, with so many people (only so many people can fit in a room at a time)

The tour did provide a fascinating insight into Creole customs and lifestyle. I would have liked to hear more of the story from the slaves point of view. The tour is roughly 90 minutes, make sure you use the restroom first and probably bring a small bottle of water with you as it can get warm outside.
There is a very nice gift shop on sight as well.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is a wonderful plantation with a very interesting history. Stephen was our tour guide and gave us a very informative tour. If you only visit one plantation, this one is the one to visit.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I love this tour and always bring visitors to it. Tour guides are great and make the place come alive.