“Worth Visiting!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Laura Plantation Tour
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Vacherie
More attraction details
Owner description: Go beyond the myths of the Old South and walk in the footsteps of 4 generations of one Creole family, both free and enslaved, who lived together in complicated, intimate family relationships on this sugar plantation that remained a world apart from the United States through the first decades of the 20th century. Laura is open daily from 9:30AM - 5PM except for major holidays. The first tour of the day begins at 10AM with tours beginning approximately every 40 minutes thereafter until the last tour of the day at 4PM. Before or after your Laura tour, enjoy authentic, homestyle Cajun food at B&C Seafood Market and Cajun Restaurant right next door.
Santa Clara, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Worth Visiting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We took a tour of this Creole plantation and we totally enjoyed it. Our guide Bryan who was excellent, knowledgeable and kept us involved with the history of the plantation. Very interesting and informative tour of the home , the owners, the slaves. Bryan did a wonderful job. One of the best tours I have had in a long time. I highly recommend this tour. We went to Oak Alley plantation tour after Laura plantation tour. Laura plantation was much more interesting.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Excellent plantation tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was a great tour. The guide did a wonderful job and provided a lot of information. I would recommend this tour for anyone that wants a good understanding of the home and the history of its inhabitants.

Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Plantation tour treats slavery like trivial detail; if you have any sense of history this tour will make you sick”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We chose this tour because reviews mentioned that it confronted slavery head on, unlike other plantations.

The house itself is unremarkable, and begs the question of why an entire tourist venture has been built around a woman who left the plantation around the time of the Emancipation Proclamation, and apparently never came back. Also, far too much time was spent on a 2004 fire. Some of the innocuous details make no sense--the house was built in 11 days? French people keep beds in their sitting rooms? The narrative seemed built around odd pieces of furniture as opposed to reality. Does anyone really care about the fact that Laura's cousin had terrible acne?

For any student of history, the manner in which slavery is woven into the tour will be, well, unreal. At one point the tour guide mentioned that Laura's uncle retired to live in New Orleans with two sex slave concubines. So he raped women til the day he died? The architect of the main house itself was described by our tour guide as a "good slave" from Senegal (pronounced as though it were an alien planet as opposed to a foreign country). What, pray tell, is a good slave? Our tour guide Doug informed us that he studied the "theater arts" in college. I would recommend that he keep this little tidbit to himself, and suggest to the owners that Doug not be allowed to take out the dueling sword, for dramatic effect, or any other reason.

I kept on waiting for a mention of the fact that this family's business only succeeded due to its access to slave labor, and that it seemed to collapse right along with the South. 65 slave cabins roasting in the sun? Horrific!

An incredible lack of mention of the Civil War, the Emancipation Proclamation, the Underground Railroad, freemen in New Orleans . . . unbelievable.

When Doug the tour guide insisted that the slave quarters we visited were furnished with souvenirs that the slaves' descendants had gladly provided to the Laura plantation, I almost lost my lunch.

My visit to the Laura plantation reminded me of how far this country needs to come to acknowledge slavery, let alone heal from it. Honestly all I could think of at the end was that the money the plantation is charging for its tours should be paid out as reparations.

It was that bad. I've read some of the other reviews of this place and it makes me fear for the future of our country. Wake up people!

20 Thank alicekat21
Toronto, Canada
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great historical tour of unique creole plantation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

The guide (Joey) was superb and led us through the history of the home and the family that lived there for generations. In the creole style, this house is very colorfully painted and well maintained with many family pictures and lovely furniture. We also were shown the slave quarters and the lives of those who worked on this plantation were discussed. Very interesting and factual- Joey was perfect!

gecko831
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Plantation is beautiful - Tour Group WAY too big”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

After touring Oak Alley we drove over to Laura. Our 5 year old was free & my husband & I were $18 each. Our tour guide's name was Stephen & I thought he did a great job. The thing I didn't like was how big the groups are that they send on each tour. We happened to be there at the same time as an organized van tour ( which managed to follow us from Oak Alley even though we had tried to avoid this (see Oak Alley review))so our group was easily 20+ people. This is WAY too many people for a house w/relatively small rooms. They should limit the # of people in each group. The plantation itself was very interesting - always thinking GWTW in my head when plantations come to mind, seeing a creole style home that was so different then it's American counterpart just down the river really provided an interesting perspective to the history of Southern LA. I bought the book they hype on the tour & found it worth it if you are interested in a more in depth overview of the history of the area.