“spectacular site”

Full Day Oak Alley Plantation and Swamp Boat Tour from New Orleans
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Vacherie
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A powerful testimony to the rich history of the antebellum south, Oak Alley invites visitors to explore all facets of her plantation past. The Slavery at Oak Alley exhibit, Civil War exhibit, Sugarcane Theater and Big House offer an experience as compelling as the plantation’s 25 historic acres and 300 year old allee of oaks.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

There is a lot to tell here:
* about the location
* about the house
* about the family
* about the slaves
* timeline over the last 200 years

The costumed interpreter did a very nice job of answering all our questions about all of the above. There was a nice enhancement in the grounds -- a replica civil war officer's tent, plus several short videos about the war.

The house and grounds live up to the reputation -- spectacular.

2  Thank Shakespeare_fan

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have been here 2, maybe 3, times. I am always amazed by this place. When you stand on the top balcony facing the river, the view of the oak trees is breathtaking. There are huge Arts and Crafts shows held here, also. Beautiful place.

1  Thank nette49
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I did this tour while visiting New Orleans. We found it very interesting with a lot of history. Our tour guide (dressed as they did back then) was very informative and could answer any questions she was asked. A place worth visiting and was very relaxing to wonder the grounds and see the many oak trees that are still standing today.

1  Thank tamBridgemanDowns
Reviewed January 23, 2013

For all Anne Rice fans out there, Oak Alley is depicted in the movie as the home of Louis, so the view may look familiar. Oak Alley was named for the line of live oak trees on either side of the long drive and it is indeed a breathtaking view. You can spend an hour looking at the trees alone, most of which are several hundred years old. I did enjoy the tour and the guide was wonderfully informed (and did not mind my many questions about items in the rooms - I'm a sucker for all the little details). With the exception of the lavendar room on the second floor, it is decorated in the style of the time period the house was built; there were few items from the original owners. The rooms upstairs are roped off so you can only look into them but you pass through the main living area and dining room. For safety reasons they do not show the third floor. The guide will show you the view of the live oaks from the verandah and be prepared for it to knock your socks off. One thing i found surprising about this house and another plantation we visited is how small the buildings are. Oak Alley, imaginably beautiful, was really just a four bedroom house. Granted, the rooms are large but the overall size is still not what I anticipated. It made me wonder (and I unfortunately never got a chance to ask) where they put up all the guests who came to their many parties! Just a comment regarding how much time to alot: We saw Oak Alley as part of a bus tour and only had a little over an hour there and I did feel rushed. I enjoy looking at every little detail and we barely had enough time for the tour and a stop in the restroom. I would recommend at least 2 hours so you can walk around and enjoy the view. Also, the Civil War historian was not in residence at the time we visited although we did see his tent. I was sorely disappointed to have missed him.

1  Thank Aimee S
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Oak Trees are majestic. The personnel dress the part from when the plantation originated. You are provided a guided tour with the guide being very knowledgeable of the dates, names, and coinsurance that took place on the plantation. Some movies have used the plantation as the backdrop, wedding and special occasions take place here, and once you visit, you will get the feel as to why this is such a delight to see.

Bring a camera. Be ready to take a still picture of the Oaks with a canopy feel from the second level of the plantation home.

At the end of the tour, try the southern belle drink Mint Julip (cocktails were not born during the prohibition era - but as a drink with flavor on the plantation) or the lemonade if you desire a non-alcohol drink.

Tour buses have packages to take you there for a fee, yet we drove our personal vehicle and it was easy to find, good map and signage. The drive was colorful with the low lying land and water ways - the bayous.

We visited during the winter month of January, so the Crape Mertals were not in bloom, but one more reason to visit to see the plantation full of vibrant colors. Hats of to the grounds keepers.

Been to Oak Alley Plantation? Share your experiences!