“Delicious food!”

The White Swan
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The White Swan is a family run Village Pub, in the heart of Yorkshire serving excellent quality home-cooked food, made from fresh seasonal ingredients, cooked simply and to perfection! The family closely watches all aspects of the business, down to the smallest details, ensuring customer satisfaction. Consistency and quality means that many customers return time after time and it's thanks to our customers, we are one of the most talked about Pubs in the area. Ideally located just 5 miles from Historic Castle Howard and 3 miles from the A64, making us an ideal spot for a break in your journey, whether you're just visiting or passing through.
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We visited on the bank holiday weekend for Easter Sunday lunch, The White Swan is set in a beautiful rural location, has a stylish contemporary feel inside, the food was extraordinary. The lamb Henry was an otherworldly sensory experience! My daughter had the burger and she said it was the best burger she had ever had, we all wanted to have dessert but just couldn't fit it in what with the generous portion sizes! The staff were welcoming and attentive throughout our meal. This is an experience that we will be repeating. Many thanks!

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We made our 1st and 2nd visit to The White Swan this Easter weekend. On Saturday we came for a drink and to take part in the Easter egg hunt - the pub were hosting a tombola for our boys village school so we decided to show our support. I was really surprised and pleased at the warm welcome we received, the staff/owners chatted to us and the kids. I often feel uncomfortable taking a 4 and 6 year old to pubs as they are quite loud but I felt very comfortable here.

On bank holiday Monday we returned for lunch. A bouncy castle was there for the boys to let off steam on and we sat in the garden. My husband had steak with jack Daniels sauce and said it was gorgeous (and he isn't easily pleased when it comes to steaks!) I had a sandwich which had loads of tasty filling and home made chips - the kids were also very satisfied with their meals!

I had been putting off trying the swan since the refurb as I actually liked the old white swan and had worked there and had many lovely meals there, however I am glad we have tried the 'new' white swan and found it is family friendly with a good atmosphere and great good - we will def be back!

1  Thank Josie R
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We've enjoyed two very enjoyable meals here. The chef has been able to do something on request for picky, vegetarian daughter and we've had a very warm welcome both times that we've been. We will definitely be back - maybe for the book club or the real ale night.

1  Thank Alice I
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Having already booked four nights of B&B at Grange Farm Bulmer for the Easter weekend, I needed to find somewhere for my evening meal. Having checked out a couple of pubs on the way to the farm, I finally discovered this perfect gem. Julie, the delightful and friendly Landlady, welcomed me with genuine warmth, and explained that she had taken over the pub only a few months ago. She helped me to choose from the three real ales on draught and even offered me the chance to try them before buying. I started with a local ale brewed in York, then an excellent pint of Black Sheep Ale. She gave me the food menu and explained that, being Friday, I could have the beer-battered fish and chips with mushy peas and tartare sauce - normally £10.95 - for just £10 with a free pint of ale. This was by far the best fish and chips I've had in a very long time. The fish was fresh from the North Sea - from a Hartlepool fishmonger - with a perfectly light and crispy beer batter. The hand-cut chips were perfectly fried. The portions were generous. From the tempting dessert menu I chose the lemon tart with summer fruits, which was also also excellent. The attentive and friendly waitress seemed to know exactly when I needed her help, and when I mentioned that I hated the background music she immediately switched it off to create a more relaxing ambience. I'm looking forward to eating and drinking here for the remaining evenings of my long weekend.

1  Thank Howard B
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Not being local to the area, we found the White Swan on Trip Advisor and gave it a try. Very nice welcome from all behind the bar who suggested we try the beers before we made a choice. The restaurant was busy and had a nice mix of people and good atmosphere (we had two children under 10). Everyone enjoyed the food and my 9 year old said it was the best Sunday roast she had ever had and especially liked the Yorkshire puddings. My wife had sticky toffee pudding which she said was even better than hers, so well done on that one White Swan. Children's food was proper home cooked and good portions. Service was consistently good all the way through. Nice one to all at white Swan, we will definitely return.

1  Thank Rob M