“Good, but not great”

Hampton Inn Sulphur / Lake Charles Area
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Sulphur
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Pros: easy access from the highway, clean room, comfortable bed, big flat screen TV, HBO, economical rate, large suite, friendly front desk

Cons: very noisy (water running, doors slamming, etc), neon green pool water (which is out of service), slow WiFi, business center is one desktop computer set up parallel to check-in, view from my room is a coffee pot filled with cigarette butts next to two patio chairs (on hotel property).

Definitely not on par with typical Hampton Inn quality, but the only Hilton property within quick driving distance of Lake Charles.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed April 16, 2008

We have stayed in this hotel many times over the years, usually every couple of months; when we decide to go to the boats. It is five minutes to the barge and a better value.

They are always friendly and willing to help with anything that has happened for us. Rooms have always been comfortable and clean. The breakfast is good, above the average.

My husband travels a lot for business and is a diamond member, he says this is one of the better Hamptons.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I spent 2 nights at this hotel in order to visit the various wildlife refuges in Cameron Parish, just south of Sulphur. My experience was outstanding. The desk clerk at check-in was friendly and pleasant. My third-floor nonsmoking king room was spacious and very clean. There was a large comfortable lounge chair & ottoman, as well as a mini-fridge & microwave. Bed was very comfortable with 4 fluffy pillows. The view from my room overlooked a laydown yard for a construction site, but since I was out and about during most of the daylight hours it did not bother me in any way. Free breakfast consisted of multiple cereals, pastries, bagels, fruit, as well as some hot items such as sausage patties, fried eggs, and french toast sticks. Location is very convenient, right off of I-10. It is only about a 25 minute drive to the Sabine Refuge. Lots of restaurants and gas stations near the hotel.

My only complaint was that the curtains in my room would not stay closed so there was a gap a couple of inches wide. I asked the desk clerk if she had some paper clips to hold the curtains closed and she quickly obliged. This solution worked just fine.

Overall I was very satisfied and would happily stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2007

This hotel was awesome. It was clean. The beds are so comfortable. The room had a minifridge and microwave in it. The room and the bathroom is very spacious. The complimentary breakfast was good. We just had a great time. It is not too far from the casinos in Lake Charles. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 12, 2005

I thought this hotel was a great value. We had 2 rooms and both were spotless. We also found the hotel to be quiet and the location convenient to I-10. Staff was very friendly and the breakfast was wonderful. We had absolutely no complaints and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2005
Reviewed July 16, 2005

I stayed at the Hampton Inn (just off exit 20 from I-10) in Sulphur, LA for 3 nights. I was very happy with my stay, as it was convenient for my business travels as well as being quiet and very comfortable.

Despite the hotel filled with lots of children and parents (Little League World Series), I didn't have any problems with noise.

The king suite featured a recliner, frigerator and a microwave. The bed was especially comfortable (as hotel beds go) and the 3 fluffy pillows were more than enough.

Breakfast featured the usual dry cereal, coffee and juice; but also egg omlette patties and DELICIOUS sausage gravy and biscuits. The gravy almost better than the gravy they served at Bob Evans.

The night staff was especially friendly and helpful.

Downsides: day staff not very cordial and bathtubs very narrow when taking a shower.

2  Thank ktripping
Reviewed February 14, 2005

Nice hotel, no complaints. The free continental b-fast was delicious. The front desk was very helpful.

2  Thank Amy F