“Good Value, If you book it at the right price :)”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Lake Charles Sulphur
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Sulphur
LA
“Good Value, If you book it at the right price :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2009

Could use some updating but otherwise a solid 2.5 star hotel and a great value if you book it through the right place (price chopper (hint)). The staff ranks up there with the 5 star hotel I have stayed at.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
BATON ROUGE LOUISIANA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2009

Started off with a smelly room on the third floor was moved to the first floor and smelt like carpet glue They changed the carpet the day before ? stayed and took a discount we stayed with our softball team and every bathtub leaked except one out of 10 staff was nice breakfast was usual with waffles being on it . overall there was a lot of hotels around but we were only there for two nights but wouldnt stay again.

• Stayed June 2009
Southern, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

Fairfield Inn in Sulphur, La was nice and clean, inside and out. Friendly staff. Good old southern hospitality! Warm indoor pool and hot tub (whirlpool) was more than relaxing. Both were a blessing to my overly tired, aching, and stressed muscles at the time. I enjoyed it to the fullest! Our beds were nice and comfy. Housekeeping was great! They kept us supplied with bath towels, toilet paper, etc. Plus, they kept our room nice and tidy everyday. I felt safe staying here and I would recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Foxy39
Marietta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

I stayed here on June 18th. The room and staff were fine. However, I have been charged for an additional nigh on June the 19that I did not stay. When I contacted American Express to dispute the charge, the hotel forwarded them a receipt showing a two night stay. THIS IS FRAUD. I am now having to get records together showing that I traveled back home on the 19th.

When I contacted the hotel directly, they indicated they would be calling me back. This has not happened.

Check your credit card statements carefully for FRAUD.

If they can't even keep track of who stays when properly, I'm glad that my stay was one night only.

Again, beware of FRAUD with this hotel and their staff.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank Hesson412
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

I stayed at the hotel for four days during the Hurricane Ike evacuation. The front desk and staff were always very helpful and friendly. They told me what to do if storm conditions got bad near the hotel and were very concerned about guest safety. Since I was there for four days I was able to use the hotel gym and had some good breakfasts which were included in the room rate. Kudos to this hotel staff.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2007

We booked two nights for a trip to the "Isle of Capri casino" Seven exits after the hotel.
price was very reasonable, easy access to the hotel from
exit #20 off Highway 10 East.

Staff at the front desk were very nice and helpfull.
Breakfast room very clean "good breakfast" & a relaxed atmosphere.
Rooms are clean, Ice box, microwave, Phone, couch, Tv .... Not to forget the gymnasium, the swimming pool and the jacuzzi.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank KHARBAT1
Cypress, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2007

We made a last minute reservation for a casino trip, and found that a lot of our usual hotels were sold out, so we opted for Fairfield. They were available, and was able to use Marriott Rewards points at the lowest level - a real bargain!

We got to the hotel early, and the front desk was able to check us in a couple of hours early, since our room happened to have been cleaned already. I felt sorry for the family that had tried to check in just before us, but their room wasn't ready yet.

The room was relatively small, but fine for two of us to sleep - a family would go crazy in that particular room (106), but it was fine for a couple sleeping. The lack of square footage, though, was compensated by additional height - the room had 10 foot + high ceilings - that gave the room a larger feel.

The king size bed was firm and comfortable, with more than enough pillows. There was also an easy chair with an ottoman, but the room was a little cramped between the footstool and the bed (see previous paragraph).

Also included in the room was the usual stuff for a room like this - desk, dresser, decent sized TV, etc., plus a dehumidifier. I had never seen one in a hotel room before, but all-in-all it was a nice addition. If you've been in the area, you know the summer humidity is outrageous in the area, and it kept the humidity down. When I asked at the front desk about it, she seemed surprised that I hadn't seen a dehumidifier in other area hotels before, and the manager overheard us and reinforced the same thing, adding that it helped his allergies.

The air conditioner is one of the older style motel under-the-window units. It works fine, but tends to be loud. In addition, the noise from the dehumidifier is even louder than the air conditioner. Whether this is good or bad depends on what type of sleeper you are. While they're loud, the noise is a "white noise," so it's sort of soothing, and helps cover up other noises. On the other hand, if you like falling asleep to a quiet TV, it's hard to hear the sound unless you turn the volume up more.

Minor annoyances - bathroom vent comes on when you turn on the light - would have liked separate switches; bathroom sink only have room for one person at a time.

Hotel has small indoor pool - good for getting wet or for kids to play - certainly too small for laps. Also indoors was a jacuzzi of some sort - didn't inspect. Hotel also has breakfast buffet which sounded good, but we slept too late to try it.

The location is on the west side of Lake Charles (Sulfur, actually), right off the freeway. There are a couple other similar hotels in the area as well.

When we woke up in the morning, there was a bill slipped under the door for express check-out. Only problem was an $11 + tax charge for my room for which there should have been no charge (used Reward points). I took it up to the front desk and I didn't quite understand her response, but it was apparently a mistake from the night shift, and she took the charge right off.

Bottom line, I'd stay there again if I needed a hotel in the area.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple