“Perfect overnight stop on a Houston to New Orleans drive”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Lake Charles Sulphur
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Sulphur
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,101 helpful votes
“Perfect overnight stop on a Houston to New Orleans drive”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I, and her parents stayed one night on our way from Houston airport to New Orleans. It was their 50th wedding anniversary trip, and we wanted to 'break' the journey to make it more comfortable.

The hotel is right at the side if I-10, and we found it easily. There was loads of free parking right outside the lobby.

We were checked in by Summer, dressed (for thanksgiving) as an indian squaw. Very pleased to see us, and an A1 asset to the hotel.

Rooms were clean and comfy, and coffee machines provided.

Breakfast was included, and hosted by another lovely lady. When she heard about the 50th anniversary, she brought my parents-in-law a card signed by all the staff.

Super hotel, with great staff, in just the right place. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Stephen A
Sarah S, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Lake Charles Sulphur, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Great! Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! We are so glad you choose to stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites Sulphur! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for recognizing some of us by name and bringing us into your family! We look forward to seeing you again next time you visit Lake Charles/ Sulphur!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stay at this location at least once a month on business. There is a Springhill Suites closer to where I work but I make the additional 10 minute drive out of my way to stay at the Fairfield Inn. Their service is superb! The staff at check-in is always friendly and they are quick to get me taken care of. They always have cookies and coffee available which is a nice treat coming off the road. The rooms have been recently updated and I've never had an issue with cleanliness.

My favorite part about my stay though is the nice lady that works the breakfast area!! She is polite, kind and welcoming to every guests that enters the room. I'm on a restricted diet and can only eat the boiled eggs. One time they were out and I asked her if there were any more available. She brought them right out and did so with a smile on her face. Best part is she remembers me! When I walk in she always greats me and lets me know that if I would like more than what is out she will happily bring more out. Being on the road so much, having a friendly face and a genuine hello really makes my day and my stay!! Kudo's to the Sulphur Fairfield Inn Team!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank thescoop01
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! Here at Fairfield Inn & Suites Sulphur, we want our guest to feel like family! Thank you for recognizing some of us by name. We hope to build a lasting relationship with you! We are looking forward to seeing you next time you are in town!
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This hotel is well decorated, nicely maintained, and clean. There were several hairs stuck in the carpet, but I can't complain about anything else. Wonderful staff, especially Venus, who was at the included breakfast every morning. Worth the drive from De Quincy for 5 days. Thanks! P.s. also go over to the Pitt Grill for dinner :)

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Elisaisaiah
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at Fairfield Inn & Suites Sulphur! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for recognizing some of us by name and bringing us into your family! We hope all who enter our hotel as guests leave as friends. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Sulphur!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I couldn't bring myself to give this hotel an "average" rating because the property itself is of very good overall quality. In a better location I would rate it as excellent. The main drawback is that it is located in the middle of nowhere on the south side of I-10 next to a Courtyard. If you want to eat dinner, you will have to drive north on Ruth Street for a restaurant.

That being said, the hotel is in great shape, clean, and the staff are very friendly. Our check in went smoothly and we were on our way to our room in minutes. Our room (103) was large and very well appointed. Two flat screens, desk, sofa, refrigerator, microwave and everything else one needs in a hotel room. Even a dehumidifier was humming along when we entered. I wasn't really sure we needed it on along with the A/C unit running. But we left it on anyway and it did not bother our sleep.

The bath area was split with a sink on one side and the bath/shower/toilet on the other. Spotlessly clean and roomy. The shower worked great and there was plenty of good pressure hot water.

On the down side, our experience the next morning at breakfast was somewhat disappointing. We are familiar with the Marriott breakfast sandwiches and, in fact, have come to like them. Unfortunately, there were none available when we entered the dining area. There were only corn dogs offered. For breakfast? A corn dog? Oh, well. We asked the very friendly attendant and she told us that no, there were no more breakfast sandwiches. So we ate some boiled eggs and yogurt.

Not a deal killer, but the hotel staff should have been better prepared for breakfast (in my opinion) considering the school bus full of kids that arrived shortly after we did the previous night.
My assumption is that the kids devoured all the sandwiches early on before we got the the dining area. I guess the early bird does get the worm, or in this case, the breakfast sandwich.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lonestarlizard
Thank you so much for selecting to stay with us here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Sulphur! We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and found our rooms to be comfortable and clean. Our dehumidifiers are definitely an added bonus in each guest room. I apologize for you not being able to enjoy one of our breakfast sandwiches. I am happy to announce that starting April 1st we will have a new hot breakfast with scrambled eggs and sauage. We hope to see you again next time you are in town!
Belton, Texas
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our family stayed here for one night on our way to Florida for vacation. Friendly staff and a great location. Room was clean and the beds were comfortable. I would recommend this hotel. Breakfast was great. It may be a Marriott category 1, but it is definitely on the high end of the "1" category rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pride, is what we are feeling reading your review! We really appriciate it when guests give us honest and genuine feedback. Thank you for this and we hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is a very clean and welcoming environment, The staff was extremely welcoming and treated me as though I was part of their "family". Front desk person was excelent and very kind, was having problems with my computer and the Asst. Engineer, Kaya, was so helpful with my problem. I look forward to my next 3 weeks with you guys. I highly recomend staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard W
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Sulphur! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our sincere hope that all who enter our house as guests leave as friends. We are very proud to keep your business and continue to invite you back! Thank you for recognizing some of us by name and bringing us into your family. We look forward to a lasting relationship with you!
Texas
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed only one night while passing through Lake Charles, but this was a great place to make our stop. Check-in was easy, the front desk attendent was extremely friendly and helpful. We were traveling with our 2 month old, so we suggested our room not be near other guests in case she was fussy during the night. She was happy to accomodate. We had a standard king room, which was not overly-large, but just enough space for our over night stop. The room was clean and comfortable, as were the bedding and linens. The room had a flat screen TV, dehumidifier, mini-fridge and microwave. The free breakfast was sufficient considering the value of the room - waffles, microwavable breakfast sandwiches, pastries, etc. If looking for a clean, comfortable hotel room, convenient to I-10 and for a great value, I would certainly suggest this Fairfieldn Inn. We would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Justin F, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Lake Charles Sulphur, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
We are so glad to hear that your stay was pleasant and relaxing. We are very proud of the quality of service we provide here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Sulphur. At our property, we always strive to exceed our guests' expectations in every regard. We hope to see you again soon!