“Family restaurant”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Saint Landry, Louisiana, United States
“Family restaurant”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This place serves it all. Friday nights serve seafood buffet or the menu. The poboys were huge and filled with shrimp. The gumbo was very filling and I got a small bowl. Others at our table got fried fish and said it was fried to perfection. The atmosphere was pleasant and kid friendly. The service was fast and our waitress was very attentive to our needs. Prices are comparable to other restaurants in town.

Visited January 2014

Opelousas, Louisiana
“"I ate like a pig!"”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Hollier's (Hahl-yays) is buffet style for lunch. Good grief at the food!! Everything I ate was yummy. Caution: the desserts are not part of the buffet and will add dollars to your ticket. And like the buffet, it's all good, so don't lose yourself in it ($$). Get in and seated fast. It's country style seating; you might sit at a picnic table. Service is awesome; never an empty glass of finished plate on the table. Me, I can't imagine anyone leaving there hungry.

• Visited November 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Good country food”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stopped in during a trip on Nov 20th. We were glad we did, but I want to warn you there is nothing at all fancy about this place. Disclaimer- I was born and raised in the South and don't get back to visit very often. When I do, I take full advantage to eat whatever I want.
For those of you used to the Deep South and Cajun Country, this place has all the expected ambiance. It is a game and meat processing facility/market/diner. Not a problem for most folks, but some may not be able to get past the first impression. (Be prepared for plastic dishes and vinyl table cloths)
The food was very good, though. Everything tasted fresh and was handled with an experienced hand. This restaurant has very good, down-home food. Period.
We had fried green tomatoes as a starter. From what I could tell, the chef takes pickled green tomatoes and batters and fries those. Genius. Not my favorite, but a good out-of-season substitute. For dinner I had ribeye steak and shrimp with onion rings. The steak was a little thin, but perfectly cooked and seasoned. The shrimp and onion rings were a delicious splurge of 'forbidden' fried foods for me (but when in Rome... ). It was not as greasy as I thought it would be, but still just as satisfying. The salad bar was included with the meal. There was nothing special about it, but everything was fresh and appeared clean. If you don't get Southern style food very often and need a fix, this is your place.

Visited November 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Doesn't live up to the hype.”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I had several people tell me how GREAT this place was, so I had to try it. Maybe that's why I was disappointed. I had the steak smothered in ettoufee. It was good, but the steak was thin and had a lot of fat and grisle left on it that should have been trimmed off of a smothered steak. The ettoufee was runny, but it was good. It was not a bad meal, it just wasn't an excellent meal like I was expecting.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Roadhore
Sulphur, Louisiana
“Good place to eat.”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is our favorite place to eat when we are in Sulphur, La. We were raised in Sulphur and just recently retired to Georgia. We come back often to visit with kids and grandkids and old friends. We usually go on the last day of our visit and eat and then get boudin and sausage to go. There boudin in the best. I have to keep my grandkids out of my freezer or they will sneak some out. We will be back.

Visited October 2013