“Great Adventure”
Review of Finca Bellavista

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Piedras Blancas
Finca Bellavista
Corydon, Kentucky
“Great Adventure”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent eight nights at the Finca in Casa Peresoza. Because we ate all of our meals at the Community Center, I'm glad we chose Peresoza as the hike to some of the other treehouses is much further from base camp. Speaking of the meals, I found them to be outstanding. Rob makes it difficult not to go back for seconds. And in his absence, Yari and Yesi did equally as well. We also had the opportunity to cook a lunch with the women and that was a lot of fun.

Because we were there just over a week, we had the opportunity to really explore the Finca and get to know the people. Because we were there during the rainy season, most of our activities were done after breakfast and before the afternoon rain set in. It took three tries, but I finally got in the river hike thanks to support from Austin, one of the volunteers.

Prior to our time in the kitchen, we got to tour the nursery with Felo, the gardner/landscaper. He and his fellow workers have done a tremendous job with the gardens and he was a fine host as we harvested for future meals. I also got in the night hike after a couple of failed attempts due to unpredictable weather, but it was worth the wait. Chico was an excellent guide. He really seemed to be in tune with the jungle and he knows the many varieties of species that live there. We also toured the SkyTrails or ziplines. David and Esvett made us feel safe on the lines and we had a great time.

There's a lot to do and see at the Finca if you have a sense of adventure and a love for the outdoors. I can say it's definitely not for everyone, and if you are considering visiting be sure and spend a good bit of time on their website familiarizing yourself with the ins and outs, what to bring, and what to expect. I felt it prepared us well.

Ultimately though, I felt as though the volunteers and the employees really complete the Finca experience. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to meet Matt and Erica, but the other Matt, Kelly, Rob, Austin, Christian, Alicia, and the aforementioned others really went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed our stay and felt at home. I appreciate all of their efforts because it made my time at the Finca well spent and memorable. And let's not forget Kimbo...who doesn't exactly go out of his way for you, but he definitely adds character to the Finca.

A tremendous amount of work and love has gone into the Finca in a short time. And as I said, even though I didn't have the opportunity to meet Matt and Erica, I certainly admire and respect your vision, dedication, and determination in creating what you have. Well done and thanks for allowing us the opportunity to visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I loved being in the rain forest. It was a dream of mine to spend time and train in the rain forest and FBV made that possible for me to experience with my girlfriend who was not too keen on staying in the rain forest. In the end she was happy with her experience and for me a dream come true. I loved it so much I made a video :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJ-WxD_sjE
This is not the type of place if you are looking for super luxury or looking for people to cater to your ever needs. If you are an adventure and wilderness lover then you will dig it. Rob the cook hooks you up with some great food and the ticas are super sweet. FBV is definitely a one of a kind place! I went during the rainy season and thought it was perfect weather!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 23, 2013

After a few days at the Finca I was already in love. I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to stay there! The property is unreal with its remote, secluded, and pristine nature trails through the jungle. The scenic route from Casa Perezosa to the base camp follows a well-marked trail through the rainforest and across a hanging bridge over the Rio Bellavista. It was unlike anything else I experienced during the month I stayed in Costa Rica (or anywhere else, for that matter). Absolutely amazing.

The staff really enhanced our stay because they are all the coolest people ever. We had a blast hanging out with Kelly, Matt, Andrew, and Austin. The Finca’s chef Rob made by far the best food we had in all of Costa Rica. After we left Rob’s cooking, we didn’t know what to do with ourselves. We were guided around the area and on one perfect afternoon, to the stunning Mis Ojos waterfall by Christian. He is definitely the best person in the world.

We will never ever forget the time we spent at Finca Bellavista. We can’t thank you guys enough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
SW, Ontario
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I discovered an article in the newspaper a few years ago about this place and made a wish that someday I could go there and even own a treehouse. Finca Bellavista was founded to be a sustainable treehouse community. It's brilliant. We planned our trip to Costa Rica so we could visit and experience this lifestyle.
We stayed in the Fila Tortuga an amazing piece of architecture. We had to cross a bridge to get inside. Once in, the first thing we noticed was the beautiful finishing: the floors are medium brown wood trimmed with a redwood, the gleaming wood kitchen counters, and all the fine details say that someone didn't want just a rough treehouse because there is a real love of design here.
We brought our backpacks into the bedroom only to find that the towels were arranged on the bed in the shape of a turtle. (Tortuga) Next we looked at the view from both balconies, one off the bedroom, the other off the kitchen. Wait a minute, this place has two bathrooms. The owners either have kids or are expecting company, hence the futon. Handpicked flowers on the tables added a homey touch.
What I really needed was the shower. Nothing prepared me for the Herculean effort needed to walk up the rugged path through a hot steamy jungle and then to climb the stairs up to the bridge to our tree house. I found the shower outside on the porch, so it was me and the jungle and the cold water.
After a long day of travel, perhaps it would have been wise of the volunteers to have driven us up to the treehouse because by the time we hiked there and had a shower, the thought of having to hike back to Base Camp for dinner and back to the treehouse in the dark was beyond both of us. We skipped dinner and ate the few snacks we brought with us. We learned the next day about meal delivery service, so ask. A word to future Tortugans, if you don't work out on a regular bases i.e.) run for miles daily, you might consider renting a treehouse closer to Base Camp. This is no walk in the park, nor is it a walk in the woods. It's a hike that could prepare marathoners.
Perhaps this is how the dream of a treehouse 'subdivision" turn into a resort of sorts. My experience says you can't grow old there unless you build throwing distance to Base Camp. Since no one is allowed to drive to their treehouse, the owners treat their property as a vacation property and not a residence. (jmho)
Rob is a creative and diversified chef. We enjoyed our meals in the jungle. All of our food was gluten free here and throughout Costa Rica as corn is the staple as opposed to wheat.
We enjoyed a swim in the swimming hole in the crystal clear, freezing river. The volunteers that looked after us were Kelly, Matt and Austin. Thanks. We didn't get to meet the owners as they were visiting in the USA; it was a disappointment to have missed you.
We will look back with fondness on our trip to Finca Bellavista; it was extraordinary.

Room Tip: When renting a treehouse, if it says you need to be in shape, that doesn't include walking the d...
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ResorTraveller
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed August 21, 2013

From the moment we set foot at the Finca, we were made to feel right at home. During our first community dinner, we got to know Rob, the chef, who agreed to make us gumbo the next night when he found out we were from Louisiana. He followed through, and I swear I was transported back home for a second when I bit into his dish. Christian proved to be a wonderful guide around the property, showing us hidden gems, other tree houses, and a beautiful, rocky waterfall we spent an afternoon soaking under. Matt, Kelly, and Andrew made me feel like family every time I talked to them. The trails around the property take you through unbeatable beauty. My time at Finca was unique, relaxing and thought-provoking, and I would gladly return again. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, tranquilo adventure in the jungle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My buddy and I stayed for a week in el castillo in June. The staff there is extremely nice and helpful. Mateo and Erica are excellent hosts! Everyone was easy going and easy to talk to. I had the pleasure of getting to connect with the volunteers during the day and happy hour at night. Christian, Matt, Kelly, Sam, and rob made me feel so welcome and at home, which made my experience much more enjoyable and memorable! Thank you all for making my trip to the Finca the time of my life. I plan on returning again in the near future!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank DiscoverMoreNow
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Finca was the highlight of our trip to CR. The tree houses were gorgeous, the surrounding nature, especially the river and the waterfalls were something only God could create, but the best part of all was the people. The owners were in Colorado at the time, so our hosts were volunteers and a few long term employees. Rob, Kelly and Matt were a pleasure to hang out with during happy hour and dinner (the best food in all of CR). We loved hearing them share the vision of the owners and the outreach that Finca has with La Florida. It was kind of amazing to hear about a group of people who are not just creating a bubble of paradise while gleaning every bit of profit for themselves, but rather people who are looking to create opportunities and share the goodness with the local people. I love that mindset and think that is something that could/ should be recreated everywhere. The owners are blessed to have such a staff! I hope to go back with my kids someday soon and take full advantage of the nocturnal nature hike and the zip lines.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
The Zancudo Lodge
The Zancudo Lodge
#3 of 12 in Golfito
Hotel Casa Roland Golfito

Been to Finca Bellavista? Share your experiences!