“Business friendly”

Best Western Plus Slidell Inn
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Slidell
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Very clean and reasonably priced. Close to the freeway and access to New Orleans area. Not much variety in the breakfast offerings as the same items have been offered over the last month. Lots of local restaurants very close to hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Mr. Patel (Manager),

I have tried to contact you several times but have not received a response. I hope that this fax receives your in good timing.

First I would like to give you a run down of my stay at the hotel this past week (3/9/13-3/13/13). I always stay at Best Western when traveling r on vacation because the name has never let me down. This is the first time that I have to go so far to get the attention of a manager to address a simple problem. I expect management and Bester Western would like to know what they could do to make everyone’s experience pleasurable. I find it very disrespectful and unprofessional to not return a customer’s call or fax. I have left over 4-5 messages with Gail and on your personal voicemail.

On 3/9/13 I arrived at your establishment around 3 pm. I proceeded to check in and received my key for room 211. My family and I went up to the 2nd floor to find it in disarray with bedding and cleaning equipment throughout the hallway. When we arrived at the room it was stripped down to the mattress in preparation of being cleaned. I then proceeded downstairs and explained the situation and specifically asked if the room was non-smoking because my daughter and I have asthma. I was told that it was non-smoking but failed to be notified that I was on a smoking floor. I then received a key for room 212. I was not so upset with this inconvenience because I was told that the hotel had a lot of checkouts that day and they were behind in cleaning the rooms. I went back upstairs and we waited while the housekeeper finished doing final touchups. The room was clean when we entered and we were satisfied with the Internet connection and comfort of the beds. After getting settled we asked the service manager for suggestions of nearby restaurants for dinner. She was very professional and helpful and even gave us a coupon. The food was great and we were happy. We went up to our room upon returning and got off at the 2nd floor and was instantly engulfed into a smoke fest, it was like to “cigar room.” We literally had to hold our breath until we reached our room. We got into our room and our clothes and hair smelled like cigarette smoke. This is the beginning to more problems. That night cigarette smoke entered through the door and vents and we had a HORRIBLE night and slept very uncomfortable. My family coughed throughout the night and the next morning. In the morning I went down to get breakfast and was once again engulfed into cigarette smoke. My family and I got dressed to go out ad I stopped by the desk and advised the ladies in the front that someone was smoking on the 2nd floor. I noticed that the rooms had no smoking on it and just knew someone was not obeying the rules. Once I said 2nd floor the lady in the front looked puzzled and said well that’s a smoking floor. I then stated to her that I specifically did not want to be on a smoking floor because of heath issues and because I really didn’t want my two small children around cigarette smoke. She then said “I don’t know why you were put there and I understand, you should complain to get another room, I won’t be here when you get back but make sure you complain to get another room, I don’t blame you especially with asthma.”

We enjoyed our day in New Orleans and had a great time and came back to the hotel ad saw the same two helpful ladies and asked for another room. We were thankfully given another room on the first floor. Even when we went to retrieve out belongings from room 212 the hall was still engulfed in cigarette smoke upon getting off the elevator. We received a key for room 118. We opened the door and right at the door was DIRTY LINEN! I was thinking could I get a break sometime during this stay! My husband was pissed by then and got a housekeeper to quickly remove the dirty linen. This made us wonder if the room was actually cleaned. The housekeeper said that there was a new maid and that was the reason why the linen was left in the room. Now I have no clue what the next person did during their stay and I don’t want to think about it but that is disgusting!

On Tuesday I spoke to the service manager and told her a tiny part of my troubles at the hotel and requested to speak to the manager. I was told that you were in a meeting and I gave my cell number and name to the new employee that was training. They said you would give me a call after the meeting. After my swamp tour we returned to the hotel and was immediately told by the service manager “I am giving you 10% off your bill.” I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A RETURN CALL FROM YOU and I NEVER RECEIVED ANYTHING OFF MY BILL. I wanted to speak to your because I feel like my first night should be compensated because we did not have a comfortable or pleasurable stay.

Last, we had two different experiences with the toilet being clogged. The first experience we were given the plunger because I think the two ladies didn’t have anyone to unstop the toilet and they did not want to do it themselves. The second time I spoke to the service manager and she called one of the housekeepers to the room and she unclogged the toilet. I think that was far superior service.

Mr. Patel, this letter is very detailed because I think it is important for the customers to be your eyes and ears when you are not around. I expect that every business, especially a business in customer service would aim to make sure that every customer is happy. As a customer, I deserve to sleep in a smoke free environment especially if that was the request regardless of the hotel being overcrowded. I deserve not to be stuck in any room to make the employee’s job easier. I deserve not to have three different hotel rooms during a 4-night stay. I deserve to get a room that is thoroughly cleaned and checked without a heaping pile of dirty sheets at the door. Last, I deserve a return call as a sign of respect and reassurance that things happen but that the hotel chain is still professional and will address each concern when it is pointed out.

I would like to point out the positives that the hotel has, when the room did receive service, it was very clean and the ladies in the front were very knowledgeable about attractions in New Orleans, which enhanced our vacation experience.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the 2nd floor even if it is non-smoking because the smoke will come through the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Ideservedbetter
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Realizing that you get what you pay for, I think this is a pretty good value. It was reasonably clean, and the tv and ac controls worked. The bed was ok. The shower was fine and there was room in the vanity area for cosmetics and toiletry bags.
I did not have breakfast there, but the little dining area was depressing and looked a bit the worse for the wear.
The most detracting--negatively--design feature was the very low lobby ceiling covered with plastic embossed tiles.
Would I return there? Unlikely.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Everything was great except the breakfast could have been a bit more complete. Convient location. The staff was always helpful and polite which seems to be rare these days. Room was clean, beds comfortable. All in all the three days we spent here was a satisfying and comfortable expeience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I travel all the time for business and this was a horrible experience. Dirty rooms (toilets, sheets, TV remote) and old breakfast. The biscuits they serve are so hard that they will break your teeth. There is never coffee available. Who starts a business meeting without coffee? You need coffee in the morning. I came here b/c of the prior posts but I think service has gone down. It is a shame since people try to bring business to LA b/c of the hurricane and they repay us with such horrible service.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and do not choose a room at the Best Western.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Richardforbusiness
BWPLUSSlidellInn, Manager at Best Western Plus Slidell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Richardforbusiness,

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your less than perfect experience in breakfast. The Best Western staff would like to sincerely apologize for this. We continually strive to improve guests experience, we recently increased the number of coffee stations in the breakfast area because our guests have been raving about our 100% Arabica coffee, so we went a step further and put this coffee in all of our guest rooms where you can make up to 8 cups for those guests that are real coffee lovers.

We aim to make our guest feel at home with our full hot breakfast. The 3 cheese egg and ham burritos, the hash browns and sausage biscuits are popular items. We strive to make every guest experience a happy one.

Please give us the opportunity to show you how we usually take care of our guests.

Thanks,
Management and Staff

Reviewed February 28, 2013

No tea available - not everyone likes coffee!
2 beds but only 1 soap??
Shower water takes about 5 minutes to heat up
Vending machines are half sold out

Overall it meets the standard of a basic hotel, but for $135 a night I was expecting to at least enjoy the chamomile tea that every other hotel I've ever stayed at has :(

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank zplz
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Your hotel was real nice, but could not get into my room. after me doing 2 tries the clerk came to my room to find the battery was ran down on your door lock. I was giving another room which did not even have a desk. at this point I just gave up and was glad just to have a room for the night.
I know batteries do not last forever but it would make since to them changed before the get to low to work, I would think your all would have a better schedule for changing them.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Charles B
BWPLUSSlidellInn, General Manager at Best Western Plus Slidell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Charles B.
We would first like to appologize that your stay with us was less than perfect. We understand how attention to details, are what make a hotel experience special, and we shall work on making this better. On a personal note, I am glad our staff helped you promptly. We pride ourselves in having staff who care and take ownership in helping resolve guest concerns. We hope you will allow us a chance to show you how well we usually do. Thanks