“Nice property, inconvenient location, mixed feelings about staff”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Slidell
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Slidell
Brandon, Florida
“Nice property, inconvenient location, mixed feelings about staff”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The property is newer and appears to be kept up nicely. They are the only Homewood I know without ICE MAKERS. Why go cheap here? It forces you to walk to the ice machine. In an extended stay hotel, this shouldn't be the case. It is in a road secluded and behind a Sam's Club location where trucks constantly load between 4am and 6am. If you value your sleep, look elsewhere. The housekeeping staff is top notch, as is the service staff during breakfast and dinner. They do serve breakfast everyday and dinner 4 nights out of the week. The dinners are pretty good. The maintenance staff is fantastic, customer service oriented. Mr. Mack leads the pack here. The front desk staff is a mixed batch. The exceptional ones are Mr. Anthony and Mrs. Beverly. These two truly care about the guests, often engaging in conversation about the day and making sure everything is going well with your stay. I was very disappointed with Kenya and the other gentleman that works the morning. I was also unimpressed by the young man who works nights or rather sleeps nights. Caught him sleeping more than once at his post. Except for a few weak links, the hotel seemed ok. It was very busy the three weeks I was there because of a recent Hurricane (Isaac). The superb staff I mentioned before handled it well. The weak links dropped the ball at every opportunity. I hope Mr. Pablo Melendez can turn this ship around and don't let these bad apples ruin the rest.

Room Tip: 201 was my room, best room in the house. No neighbors to the side, kitchen below and only neighbors...
1 Thank RafySoto
Homewood2010, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Slidell, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with the Homewood Suites Slidell while working the damage from Hurricane Isaac. As you experienced, the hotel was "home" to many displaced residents, and workers.
The hotel team works hard to maintain top customer service, and I appreciate your opinion, and if you are in the area again, please let me know.
Pablo Melendez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

This is the best Homewood Suites I've ever experienced. The fitness room is huge and fully equipped, which was a big plus. The staff is very friendly. Breakfast and dinner good and saves eating out. I will be returning here during each visit to the area.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank RStraveler1
Homewood2010, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Slidell, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit a review for the Homewood Suites by Hilton Slidell. I appreciate your choice in staying here while in the Slidell area.
The staff understands the importance of great customer service, and I’m thrilled you enjoyed your stay here. The hotel offers fantastic complimentary amenities including the Suite Start Breakfast daily, Welcome Home Reception Monday – Thursday, Business Center, Fitness Center and more!
Quitman, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel with all of the conveniences of home. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way to speak and ask if you need anything. They service hot breakfast 7 days a week and dinner Monday - Thursday evening with very good hot food. Great fitness center and nice pool, hot tub and patio area.

Room Tip: A top floor room would be best. You can hear the people or kids above you some.
1 Thank Beverly C
Spring House, PA
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in August. It was a beautiful hotel and the staff was so friendly. We had a queen suite and it was nice and roomy. It was nice to have a full size refrigerator with a freezer. The beds were so comfortable that you did not want to get up in the morning. There was a personalized letter from the management on the dining table to let us know if we needed anything to let them know. The pool was outside and was so beautiful and clean, the kids did not want to get out . There was comfortable furniture around the pool and if you did not want to sit by the pool there was furniture outside the pool in the shade. There were also 2 grilles for the guests use. The breakfast was great with different hot items every day and also plenty of cold items to choose from. In addition there was a light dinner in the afternoon that included wine and beer, the items were also changed up every day. There was a wal-mart next door if you needed anything and a shopping center across the street. It was a 40 minute drive into New Orleans.

Unfortunately we had to cut our trip short by 2 days due to an emergency at home. If I get the occasion to get to the New Orleans area again I will definately stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Luv2flypa
right here, right now
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Homewood Suites is a standard stay when I travel and because they offer great accomodations and the included breakfast and dinners really help to hold a travel budget in check.

The Homewood in Slidell,LA is even a cut above the usually great Homewoods.

Room was finished in dark green with dark wood trim, very elegant.
A full sized refrigerator in the kitchen sets it apart from the usual dinky and not very cool mini fridges found in other brands. Mattress and pillows were great, not hard and thin like the previous few nights stay in another brand and location where there was no Homewood available.

This location is a bit funky to get to, it's on a dead end road by the freeway so you have to poke around a bit to get there, but it's totally worth it.

There are other restaurants in the immediate area and several shopping options for those on extended stay, so this is very worthwhile.

1 Thank oatwillie
Arkansas
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We recently stayed two nights on our way to New Orleans. Loved this hotel. Seemed to be fairly new. Very Very Clean. We were greet very professionally by Anthony upon arriving. Check in was quick and painless. There was a welcome letter on the table in our room addressed to us specifically. The room was wonderful. We enjoyed having the full kitchen, although we did not cook, we used the frig and microwave. The space in the whole room was very adequate and comfy. We are already planning our next trip to New Orleans and we will be stopping by Homewood Suites again. The only draw backs were there is no large sign for the hotel on the main road. It's a small sign and you have to be looking for it to find it. Also it's a little tricky making a left hand turn getting back on to the main road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool area during the summer time if you do not want the noise. We were...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ArkansasRazorbackMom
Waco, Texas
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My family of four stayed here on our way home from Destin back to Texas. The room was the cleanest we've ever stayed in and the full size fridge allowed us to empty our coolers and start with fresh ice the next morning. I slept with my kids in the king (no queens available) and was able to shut the door to the living area where my husband slept on a very comfortable pull out couch. He could watch TV and snore without bothering us! The next morning a full blown breakfast was served - eggs, hashbrowns, cereal, waffles, etc. for free! We arrived late in the evening so wasn't able to take advantage of any of the other amenities. Staff was super friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family