“Go in the summer for gator sightings.....otherwise a very interesting tour of swamp beauty”
Review of Cajun Encounters

$92.00*
Oak Alley and Laura Plantation Tour with Transportation from New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A 20 year old locally owned and operated tour company providing highly rated, comfortable, fun, and educational tours of the swamps, city, cemeteries, and plantations in and around New Orleans. We recruit and train the most knowledgeable tour guides and boat captains in the city, and design our boats and buses to be comfortable and safe, providing an unparalleled experience of the city. Swamp Tours: Take a guided tour of the famous Honey Island Swamp. You'll glide through gator territory and hear all about the swamp and its natural inhabitants from our highly knowledgeable, certified captains. See gators and wildlife up close and personal as you explore narrow slews that only our boats are built to navigate. Plantation Tours: Step back in time and explore two of New Orleans' most famous plantations: Oak Alley, an Antebellum Plantation, and Laura, A Creole Plantation. We'll pick you up from your hotel and take you down the historic Mississippi River Road in the comfort of our air conditioned, air ride buses. City Tours: We'll take you to all the must-see landmarks on your list, including the French Quarter, Garden District, Marigny, and more. Our buses are designed for your supreme comfort with powerful air conditioning, air ride technology, and seamless windows for the best views. If you want to experience New Orleans, Cajun Encounters Tour Company is dedicated to showing you the best the city has to offer.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Captain Greg was very funny and made the tour very enjoyable. Tons of raccoon sightings, great blue herons , white egret, turtles . If you expect more, make sure to check the season...it matters.

There are newer reviews for Cajun Encounters

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Had a great time! Saw a lot of gators and wild boars. Very informative. I would definitely recommend going in the spring or summer to make sure you will see gators. We saw about 10!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I did not want to go on this tour. I lived a great deal of my life in Florida so I didn't have the desire to see a gator, plus I'd stayed out at Bourbon Street way too late the night before. But my girlfriend said that we were going so off we went. Man, did we have fun!!! Our tour guide was a younger guy who looked kinda like Ben Affleck (or so the gf kept saying, I didn't see it). He could really pilot a boat around. We saw 1 gator as it was cold but that was ok. We saw all other types of wildlife, birds, snakes and raccoons to name a few. All the while the guide was regaling us with some great stories. You could tell that he really loved what he was doing and that he was determined to show us a good time, which he did! It was worth having to tell my girlfriend that she was right. Several times.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

There are some comments and information on-line that it is not worth going in the winter. As I drove out, I was unsure if I should be going, but I was happy I did.

There were no alligators seen, but it was a colder and overcast day. The tour guy told us if it was a little warmer and sunny, they would have been out. Even without seeing alligators, the tour was great. We did see raccoon, birds, and wild pigs, as well as the unique trees and plants of the swamp. The raccoon are conditioned to follow the boat for treats of marshmallows as well as the pigs. They came right up to the boat and would eat the marshmallows off a stick the tour guide had. While we didn't see alligators, the tour guide did go into detail explaining how they lived and how they tried to preserve their lives during hunting times.

As well as the great tour about the nature of the swamp, we also saw how some people live along the river in homes, some were floating. It was interesting to learn about the life along the river for these people and why they were there.

Overall, it was a great experience. The knowledge of the tour guide was outstanding. I would not hesitate to go in the winter, just hope for a warmer and sunny day.

2  Thank jandthud
Reviewed January 10, 2014

All the way from Arizona to the swamps of LA! He is very knowledgeable about his surroundings! He is also very funny with him and his co-captain, captain obvious! I highly recommend captain Greg and cajunen counters! Make sure you ask for Greg as your captain!! Thanks for the awesome tour!!

Been to Cajun Encounters? Share your experiences!