“Affordable Luxury”

The Remington Suite Hotel and Spa Shreveport
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Shreveport
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

The room was very nice and clean. The staff were friendly. I loved the robes, they were very comfortable. I did not get to go swimming but the pool looked nice. There was not a hot breakfast but it was still a good selection of food. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2012
There are newer reviews for The Remington Suite Hotel and Spa Shreveport

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Years of successfully finding great places to stay on TripAdvisor made us believe we were pretty adept at sifting through reviews. Our streak came to an end in Shreveport, LA.

Maybe we just got the only inferior suite in the house--after all the TripAdvisor links to Expedia and Travelocity showed the hotel sold out, and we got the only vacancy. They've been refurbishing, and one suite has to be last. Also, the staff was delightful, and we agreed with all the positive reviews other than the glowing reports on the suite itself. Even so, the suite was clean and the beds comfortable.

The problem was we expected a luxury suite, and what we got was inferior to a Holiday Inn Express. Suite 19 is normally $140 a night plus some $15 in taxes and $20 for optional secure valet parking. We got a special base rate of $99. Modern chains close by charge around $100, and we would have taken that option were it not that Remington looked like an affordable luxury.

The suite is just a room with shag carpeting, inadequate lighting (impossible to read in bed), noisy HVAC, a single window with slat wooden blinds facing an interior hallway, a pedestal sink with little room for toiletries and a corroded (oxidized copper perhaps) faucet, an antique tub/whirlpool bath, and a generally old-feeling room. Not the charming kind of old either--we've loved those--just your grandfather's bedroom old. And as in grandpa's house, the too few open sockets are too loose for charger adapters to stay plugged in. Oh, and there is a hole in the bathroom wall worn through from the doorknob hitting it.

The lighting was inadequate for my wife to put on her makeup, and opening the blinds onto the interior hall wasn't going to help.

So if you were reading these reviews and looking forward to your amazing duplex with the spiral staircase, be aware not all their suites are recreated equal and take appropriate steps to avoid being disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2012
Louis M, General Manager at The Remington Suite Hotel and Spa Shreveport, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Remington Guest,

I read your comments with great interest as it is evident you are a seasoned traveler who knows what a hotel must exemplify to meet guest satisfaction. It is encouraging to hear that you consult Trip Advisor for your travel recommendations, as I do also, for my personal travel needs.

It is true that The Remington was sold out on December 19, as evidenced when you checked Trip Advisor, Expedia, and Travelocity. Due to a cancellation, only one room was available when you called later in the day.

As I am sure you are aware, the majority of all hotels internationally, always have a room or two that are in line for renovation, and unfortunately, the only room left when you called, was a room scheduled to be renovated. Rooms in this category are priced at $140.00, but as you acknowledged, you were given a special rate of $99.00.

I want to assure you that over 98% of our rooms are of the quality one would expect at The Remington. Now having said this, there is always one room that is sold last, and again, this room was assigned to you due to the hotel’s occupancy.

Due to this, please accept my apologies, and I ask that you contact me personally prior to your next visit to Shreveport. I am confident you will be pleasantly surprised and pleased.

Again, I appreciate your comments.

Louis Martinelli, CHA

Reviewed December 14, 2012

We chose the Remington Suites on the strength of Tripadvisor ratings. Our two-night stay was interesting, pleasant, and a good value at the $99 per night rate. We stayed in the Cassatt Suite (all suites are named for artists). This was a two-level space with bed and bath upstairs; couch and kitchenette downstairs, and televisions on both floors. The decor was beautiful but quite dark, and featured a dramatic two-story window treatment that overlooked the street. One slight drawback for those with mobility issues would be the very narrow spiral staircase connecting the two levels. We were able to negotiate that, however, and enjoyed our room. The staff is friendly, low-key, and helpful. At check-in, we found we could park on the street, saving us the cost of valet parking. The lobby of the hotel is striking, with a natural stone floor, dark panelled wood, an antique piano, interesting wrought iron, and gorgeous decor for Christmas. The owner was there one morning and greeted us warmly. Breakfast was delightful. I LOVED the "daily bread" - artisan breads sliced to your liking, plus hard-boiled eggs, muffins, fresh fruit and yogurt. While not a hot cooked-to-order breakfast, it was thoughtful, high-quality and a cut above the typical chain hotel offering. We hope to return when we have time to try the salt-water pool and stay in another unique suite.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We recently stayed at the Remington Suite Hotel for our 1 year anniversary. We had booked the hotel for our wedding night as well and just knew we had to revisit you guys! This time we went with a larger suite than we had before. Fabulous room I must say. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone who wants to get away for a romantic weekend. Thank you so much for always going beyond our expectations and making every trip amazing!

Room Tip: They charge for Valet so I recommend parking at Sam's Town (free parking) down the road and walk...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KSelser7
Reviewed December 10, 2012

If you are travelling to Shreveport, LA on business and are used to high quality comfort without the lights and sounds of a casino, I can highly recommend the Remington Suite Hotel. As a single woman travelling alone, I found the location and security first class. The rooms are 5-star as well as the service. There is no restaurant on the premises but several are withing walking distance (do not go out late at night alone). The Continental breakfast was yummy. Valet parking is a must. Will definitely book here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Upon arrival, we were welcomed and told our suite was one of the favorites.
Beautifully decorated, very very nice for a boutique hotel, but if you are sensitive to
sound don't stay in suite #16. The A/C unit that probably does the entire building is across
the hall. So loud that it vibrates the room. We were then moved to another room upon our
request. Another beautifully appointed room, quieter. The king bed was absolutely wonderful.
The robes after a shower were lovely. I did step on a missing strip between the tiles and carpet.
OUCH! Reported it, and was told a work order would be made that day. The price is right for
the location. The managers' wife made red beans and rice for the evening was was a wonderful touch.
I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Be sure to be pleaed with the room completely before unpacking. I usually say this with anywhere I g...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Louis M, General Manager at The Remington Suite Hotel and Spa Shreveport, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Remington Guest:

I was delighted to hear that your overall impression was most favorable and that you will be returning to our Remington Suite Hotel. Regarding your comments on the A/C and carpet strip please be advised of the following action.
1) The A/C unit across from your room was immediately recalibrated upon your checkout.
2) The carpet strip between the bedroom and bathroom has been replaced.
Needless to say, I appreciate you bringing this to our attention as it is only through comments such as yours that we can maintain the Remington as the number one hotel in Shreveport, but most importantly meet our guest’s expectations.

Lou Martinelli, CHA

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our family gathered at The Remington Suites for Thanksgiving. From the well appointed & quiet rooms to the friendly, always available staff, our stay exceeded our expectations. We had a party of 20 ranging in age from 67 to 1 month. Everyone's needs were met. We were able to walk out the front door & head to the casinos, restaurants & walking trails. If your travels take you to Shreveport, I'd highly recommend The Remington.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shreveport
Hilton Shreveport
Residence Inn Shreveport-Bossier City/Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
#10 of 37 in Shreveport

Been to The Remington Suite Hotel and Spa Shreveport? Share your experiences!