“Catfish!!!!”

Sam's Southern Eatery
Ranked #37 of 510 Restaurants in Shreveport
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I am only reviewing the food here as I haven't been to the restaurant; however, every time I visit my sister in Shreveport, we get some of this catfish to go. My sister brings it home much to the delight of my whole family. My wife, who doesn't even like catfish, really loves this place. We ususally get the grilled which is odd since most catfish I eat is fried; the grilled catfish is the way to go though. The spices are great and the shrimp you can order on the side is awesome. I would visit more often; however I live in TN and don't get to LA but a few times a year.

1  Thank Jacquie-David
There are newer reviews for Sam's Southern Eatery

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Ate here again, stuffed shrimp were pretty horrible and stodgy but fried shrimp and fish were excellent. Service was fast and friendly and you really can't fault the speed or quality or value for money - great place for a great feed.

Rob

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

If you're hungry for some fried seafood - this is the place! Try the stuffed shrimp, you'll be glad you did!

Portion sizes are worth every penny, and you may think you struck quite the bargain when you see how much extra they put on your plate. Come hungry!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We are traveling across the USA and keen to try foods as we pass through. We read the trip adviser comments & thought we would try Sam's Southern eatery based on all the rave reviews. We were sadly disappointed.

We went to the North Market one. This is a chain of take out stores serving fish and chips. This was not a restaurant, simply a take out with an ordering window & some metal chairs and tables to sit at. There is no table service, which is not a problem, the other reviews just seemed to suggest there would be.

We finally figured what to order after pulling up the menu on our phones. The boards were hard to decipher with the screen flicking constantly. We ordered the 3-3-3 fish, shrimp & chicken. The servings were most definitely large however we did not receive any extras as others have mentioned. This was fine as there was way too much food anyway, just don't expect it based on other reviews here.

The food:
-The chicken was lovely and not overly spicy.
-The giant shrimp (prawns actually) are battered and not too bad. We have had tastier & fresher ones than these though
-The catfish or fish we didn't really like. This could simply be because it is something not really available in Australia. We found it flaky like snapper but soft & squishy to the bite, almost too soft & watery. Also bland taste, flavor is in the crumb
- Sides - chips are good (which you hope for at a fast food joint) & coleslaw tasty.

Overall it was a large serving of deep fried fish, chicken and fish that was oily & not all that tasty. If you want cajun skip the take out & find somewhere good.

2  Thank caz0707
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I was in Caddo Parish on business and was to meet a person in the mall on Greenwood Road, I went into Sam's for a coffee to wait and looked over the menu. I spied the shrimp poboy, so I order it to go. That was the best poboy I have had since living in New Orleans 30 years ago. The shrimp were large nicely fried, it was dressed but not overdressed like many poboys I have had in 30 years.
I would recommend Sam's Southern Eatery and looking forward to next business trip to go again, maybe the North Market Location since close to where I do business.