“Disappointed”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Shreveport
Corpus Christi
“Disappointed”
Reviewed December 20, 2006

This is a typical casino hotel. The non-smoking room smelled like smoke. The front desk and other service staff were pretty much not interested in hospitality. While the sleeping rooms are nicely appointed, they weren't quite "clean" enough. The beds were comfy, but the pillows and linens were not. The casino was a typical riverboat barge with 3 levels and very small. We did not see anyone winning and the casino staff left much to be desired. This was our first visit to Shreveport casinos, and we will probably not return. L'Auberge in Lake Charles and Coushatta in Kinder are much better alternatives.

• Liked — Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Could have been much cleaner
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to a real casino
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kensroomie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Texarkana
Reviewed October 29, 2006

cheyennemobbs@yahoo.com

I booked a room for my honeymoon and requested a bottle of Champagne in the room upon arrival. A customer service representative contacted me to verify the request and to get my payment information. Expedia sent me an e-mail verifying my room and my request. When we got to the hotel and checked in the clerk asked for my credit card information. I told her it should be on file and her reply was that she needed another one. We gave her my wife's card. When we got to the room there was no Champagne so I contacted the front desk and told them about the confirmations. They transferred me to room service and I told them the problem. They said they would have it right up. No apology at this point. About five or ten minutes later it arrived. I told the girl who brought it the problem. She meekly apologized and made an excuse about the front desk not submiting the request. She handed me the bill to sign. $27 for a bottle of Korbel plus tax and gratuity was added to the bill. Almost $5.00. I don't mind paying a tip for room service, but I shouldn't be forced to pay a tip when they messed up. Upon check out the clerk asked how our stay was. I shrugged and said, "It was okay."
Her reply was, "Oh." She didn't ask what was wrong so I told her the story. She said she was sorry as she had me sign the bill.
I have been a general manager for restaraunts for almost ten years so I understand their are going to be problems sometimes, but the managment has not trained the staff to handle these situations properly or the policies of the hotel need to be reviewed. I booked this hotel because it was about $10 cheaper than the other three and four star hotels in the area, but next time I will spend the extra $10 to get better customer service. I'm sure a competing hotel/casino would ensure their guests come back after they messed up on someones honeymoon stay.

• Liked — the rooms were nice... huge bathroom
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Tips/Secrets — research other locations first
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank travelinboy
Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2006

Received our trip to Sam's Town as a birthday present. Called ahead to make sure there was Internet connectivity in the rooms (I'm an IT professional and am frequently required to VPN in to my company's network for work-related business) assured there was a "wireless" network available 24-7. Got to the hotel and the first thing I did was attempt to get on the "Sam's Town Wireless Network". No DHCP server available to allow me access. Throughout my 2 night stay I contacted the Front Desk several times to no avail - the network never was available. Ended up going to the Java Cafe and connecting to a roque access point that belonged to who knows who. Discussed the experience with the Supervisor of the front desk at checkout who refused to even comp us lunch for our trouble. The night before I had been at El Dorado - which by the way is a beautiful, clean, open, spacious, wonderful casino - and was comped dinner for 2 just because we were there and playing. I'll be staying at the El Dorado from now on - Sam's Town can keep their non-functional amenities and their smoky cramped casino.

• Liked — Close to the El Dorado
  • Disliked — No Internet access as promised
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Stuffing
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2006

LOVED THE ROOMS!!! Huge rooms, nice city view, unbelievable bathroom. Huge garden tub, which I LOVED, great vanity, the bathroom was to die for. Lots of space. The bed was very comfortable and I loved the sitting chairs. Service was great, I would defnitely return. The casino was alright, I did not win anything, but the nightlife was exciting.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Texas, USA
Reviewed March 29, 2006

If I was just rating the hotel room, service, etc..I would say it was above average. The room was very nice & the service was excellent.

The only negative part was the casino. It was ok, but definitely nothing special. It seemed very small to me. We also asked for comps & got zip.

Then we walked next door to Eldorado & were blown away by how much better we liked their casino. It was bigger & brighter, more table games, more & better slots (had 1 to 5 cent, 50/100 play video poker), etc.. They also had nice TV's everywhere that looked like high def. Then to top it off they comped us a couple of buffet dinners, after much less play than what we had at Sam's Town (where we got turned down for a comped meal). This may be small to some people, but I feel a lot better about losing my money when I at least get a free meal out of it. :)

Sam's Town was ok, but on our next trip we'll be staying next door.

12 Thank GoldenRhino
Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2006

My husband and I spent our Wedding Anniversary at Sam's Town and we loved it. The rooms are great. We really loved the bathrooms. The service was good - everyone so nice. We are planning to go back as soon as possible.

2 Thank Judy in Texas
Roseland, Louisiana
Reviewed January 2, 2006

Just getting around to writing a review of this great property after a HORRIBLE experience at another place in Shreveport. We stayed here for one night in October 2004 during a motorcycle trip from Southeast Louisiana, through Shreveport, Waco, San Antonio and Houston. We had stayed at casino/hotels in Vegas and hoped for something as nice. We were not disappointed! The room was HUGE, the bathroom was enormous and we had a view of the river. The bathroom has separate toilet, sink, vanity and bath areas so that no one is in anyone's way when getting ready in the morning. The bellman was wonderful and held our gear on a cart while we retrieved our bikes from the garage (they have a covered garage with a designated motorcycle parking area). We ran into traffic last weekend on the way to Dallas and hoped to stay here again but they were booked due to the Independence Bowl being the following day. Would DEFINITELY stay here again if given the chance!

• Stayed October 2004
5 Thank berkshirebt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shreveport
Horseshoe Bossier City
Chateau Suite Hotel, Downtown Shreveport
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
#10 of 37 in Shreveport

Been to Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport? Share your experiences!