“Nice rooms, but that's where it ended..”

Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Shreveport
dallas
“Nice rooms, but that's where it ended..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2009

Hotel rooms were nice and clean, but as for the rest of the hote,uh,uh. Restraunt service was terrible, wait staff slow, unresponsive and rude. Casino was dirty, smelly and stuffy. Cocktail service was slow. I had sat down at a table,, turned in my players card, it sat there for 30 minutes, without a pit boss picking it up. I stared at and smelled a dirty ashtray my entire time at the table, no one was smoking at the time. This was for a little over an hour. I checked with pit boss about my playing for an hour, he said I had only played for twenty minutes. I said my card sat there for over thirty minutes before you picked it up and he said that he was busy with more important things than my 15 average bet. He did however say he would fix it. I know I am not a high roller, but I feel as if my money is just as well spent as anyone's. I have gambled at all the other casinos in the area and have never had as bad of an experience as this one. This was my first visit tp Samstown, after a friend recommended trying it, but I will never go back. Maybe it was just a bad time for samstown, but oh well, I will tell all my friends about this experience.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Fort Worth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2008

I was very pleased with the hotel room and the front desk staff. The room was large and very comfortable. The front desk and valet were very polite and helpful when we needed them. The deli breakfast was very good. Now, the detractors were the casino staff, the overwhelming smoke smell (not in the casino, but the hotel itself) and the buffet restaurant. My friend and I had never gambled in Louisiana (just LV and OK,) so we asked about the slot cards and were told that the money we inserted would "go onto the card." Well, this is obviously not the case. After moving to another slot machine, we took our cards with us only to find out that we were supposed to "cash out" and get a ticket. When we quickly discovered that our balance wasn't correct in the new machine, we asked for assistance. Some sleazebag who was obviously watching for nubes like us came along within just minutes and stole our cash ticket. The supervisor was not sympathetic, even though the casino employee at the card desk had obviously misinformed us. He would not credit either one of us...not even a comp! Just looked at us and tsked, tsked. Also, the waitress was walking around, without stopping, and saying "cocktails...cocktails..." I guess we were supposed to keep eyes and ears out and then tackle her to get her to stop and order our drinks...which were'nt good. Now the smoke...I know that casinos are smokey. But the hotel itself shouldn't smell like an ashtray throughout the lobby and through the halls. When we were in our rooms, we were fine, but as soon as we stepped out...eww. We went into the Horshoe to gamble and it was not like that at all, so I know they are not all like that. The buffet left a lot to be desired. Again, I know that buffets aren't supposed to be great, but some of the food was truly inedible. I'm not sure whether I would recommend this place or not. I think we might try to stay somewhere else next time. It's truly a roll of te dice.

• Liked — The room. Very comfortable.
  • Disliked — The casino employees.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank middleskoolcrazy
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2008

Despite a couple of minor issues, Sam's is a decent place to stay.
We booked 2 rooms online and requested rooms on the same floor. I called 2 days prior to our arrival and was told that we had a 90% chance of having our request honored. Of course when we checked in our request had not been honored. But after 10 mins of pleading and initially hearing " I can't do anything about it" , amazingly our request was honored.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable - especially the beds! Overall cleanliness was mediocre (dusty furniture etc) but the sheets and towels were clean. We were there 3 nights and not once did we receive maid service. We had to call for fresh towels, which housekeeping did promptly deliver.
The casino was ok. The slots were very tight and the tables about the same. We had much better luck next door at the Eldorado.
The buffet, again, ok. However none of us are really big eaters so it was hard to get $16 worth of decent food.
The free parking was great - no problems there!
I think the room and service we received for the price (approx $110 a night) we paid was acceptable. We would stay there again for that price.

• Liked — The location and comfy beds
  • Disliked — Lack of service and attention to detail
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank g35girl
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2008

Sam's Town is a great value for your money and frankly a great place to stay in Shreveport.

Sam's Town is a casino hotel with all of the pros and cons of this kind of hotel. We have stayed in other Shreveport casino hotels and we keep coming back to Sam's. You can either drive or take a shuttle to other casinos and places in the area. The buffet is above average with a good selection of food. What do you want, it is on the buffet. This is not a fancy buffet but we have always found something to eat on it every time. But if you don't like this buffet, go to another casino for their buffet. The Steakhouse / High end restaurant is very nice. A bit pricey but if you are winning why not?

The rooms are really nice. The night we were there the room rate was very reasonable. So on a room value basis we would put it up there with the Four Seasons. Now it is not the Four Seasons but the room value was there. Very Nice.

We also liked the fact that the smoking while permitted in the Casino was not as bad as some of the other places in town. It might have been the nights we have been to Sam's but all the same I can breath.

Sam's Town is above average dollar value for Shreveport, and we would recommend it to any one. As a side note, one of the other casino hotel rooms the same night we were in town was $100 a night higher. We put that on the tables and won at Sam's Town.

• Liked — Great room, good food, great value
  • Disliked — Smoking in the casino
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Edom, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2008

We live about 2 hours from Shreveport and Sams. We have stayed in most of the hotels there and prefer Sam's. The room is always clean and pleasant. Several times we have been given rooms on the Concierge floor without requesting it The drinks and snacks there are enjoyable.

We love the casino because it is close to the hotel rooms- very little walking and no stairs. Perhaps we enjoy it because we are able to win. My husband does like to play poker and visits the other hotels for poker, but we continue to stay at Sam's.

The buffet at half price for seniors is a good bonus. Where else can you dine for so little money and effort?

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grandmarys
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

Stayed 1 night here for business. The room & bathroom were big and everything looked very nice. Plus, I appreciated a non-smoking room that did not smell of smoke!
With a few improvements, things would have been much better and I would stay here again. As it is, I will probably try someplace else next time.
Had a problem at check-in because the hotel was reserved in my husband's name and he was doing the self-park across the street. Even though I had a driver's license showing the same last name and home address, the clerk refused to allow me to check-in! So, I had to step aside and get back in line when my husband arrived. In all our travels, we have never had this happen - and we never reserve as Mr & Mrs. Once in the room, we were impressed with the size and decor. However, we soon noticed the bathroom floor seemed to have numerous wet spots and the sink area rug was actually wet. We assumed the floor was recently cleaned and was in the process of drying. After returning from the evening, we realized there must have been/was a water leak someplace because there were more wet areas. At this point, we didn't want to bother re-packing and moving so we stayed and didn't bother to report the problem. The next morning we noticed the caulk around the inside of the bathtub was loose and had mildew. Also, three of the vanity lights kept turning off and on or shorting-out. The room could have been so much more with better housekeeping and maintenance issues addressed.

• Disliked — Had to pay for internet - come on it's 2008!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pasadena, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

The trip to Shreveport was unfortunately prompted by the unexpected death of a family member. I relied on a web travel site to make reservations to Sam's Town. They had the cheapest rate available. The rooms averaged to about 70 dollars a night.

To be fair, I must say that in a bind, like we were, Sam's Town served our purpose. The rooms, especially the bathrooms were enormous. They were also reasonably clean. However, if you are anything like me, who is very particular with cleanliness and order. You will be able to notice that the corners of the room required extra attention as there was a layer of dust all around the room. The drapery behind the headboard also required some vacuuming. It is also very evident that the rooms are in need of some updating. Small areas of wall paper are peeling off. But like I said, the room was clean. The sheets and towels were spotless. The bed was comfortable. but something has to be said about the small pillows that the hotel provides. However, this is easily remedied by a quick trip to Wal Mart. There was also a small refrigerator in the room which allowed us to keep beverages.

I must say though that two negatives must be pointed out: the smoke odor and the cleanliness of the parking lot. Public parking is convenient and plentiful. However, the management should really pressure wash the place and place more trash bins. I don't smoke because of asthma. I had to stay as far away from the entrance to the casino as I have never smelled anything as revolting as that concentrated smoke smell in that general direction. The line to the buffet is in the same area and when I discovered there was a line to get in, I decided against eating there as I would have to suffer the smoke odor.

I hope this review would be helpful to someone.

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shreveport
Horseshoe Bossier City
Chateau Suite Hotel, Downtown Shreveport
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
#10 of 37 in Shreveport

Been to Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport? Share your experiences!