WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Shreveport
Fort Worth, Texas
“Good overall value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is my first time to Shreveport and to this hotel. Sam's Town has very good food and service and the rooms are large and well-equipped. I do plan to try the El Dorado, Horseshoe, and the new Margaritaville when it opens, just as I have tried several hotels in Vegas, but I would return to Sam's Town again. I was impressed with the quick valet parking, both upon arrival and departure. The bell hop was very pleasant. The shower/bath could use some grout cleaning or bleaching but other than that, no issues. The room was large and included a comfortable chair and desk. The bathroom was much larger than a typical hotel room which was a nice surprise. I enjoyed the morning coffee and I am quite picky when it comes to my coffee. Room service was very reasonable and again, the food was very good. I booked my room on Expedia and paid under $100 for a king on the 16th floor and stayed both Sat and Sun. Is it a fancy, top notch hotel ? Absolutely not. But, I would say it is a very good overall value.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor...or as high as they can put you, and away from the elevators. This i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I've been to Shreveport many times and often visit this place in tandem with the El Dorado. By far, El Dorado is better in every way.

Since I have not stayed in the hotel, my review will be based mainly on the casino and the restaurant experience.

Restaurant: Every time we go, one of our party always wants to eat at the buffet. Personally, I am not a buffet person (unless it's breakfast). If I get my one plate of food, I'm happy so I feel it's kind of a waste to have to pay the $19 to $25 that these places normally cost. And in my opinion, it's not worth it. Especially at Sam's Town. They have your standard buffet entrees like prime rib (but it's not really tender and almost always more fat than meat), fried chicken (that always tastes stale like someone left their KFC chicken out for two days), crab legs (I'm not a crab person so I won't comment on that), pastas (like the chicken, never seems hot, almost always stale), etc. So far you're getting the idea of my overall attitude about the food: Why should I pay the average of $25 for a buffet of overcooked/undercooked and stale food? Also there are very little sides in the way of veggies. It's pretty much potatoes, potatoes, potatoes. Hey, I love potatoes as much as the next person but how about some green beans or something like that? Even the "fresh" deserts are stale.

The service was no better either. Each time we were there, even on "off" days with not much business, the staff was rude and disinterested in helping anyone. My worst experience occurred when we went to the buffet and I wasn't hungry. (Truthfully, even though I don't like the food, if I'm hungry enough, I'll eat.) And to be brutally honest, I am overweight. But that night, I just ordered a soda. When the drinks arrived, the waiter had the audacity to say to me "...And you're the one on the diet?" as he sat my drink down. Given my self-consciousness about my weight, I was enraged and hurt at the same time. I accepted the drink and said nothing because frankly if I started talking, I would rant, then yell, and that wouldn't do me anything but make me the bad guy. But it gives you the idea of the service you're dealing with.

Casino: Because of the cock-eyed regulations about Louisiana casinos being on the water, the casino itself is located over a "flood plain". So instead of the traditional casino floor, this one is three stories tall. All of the rooms are small and cramped. On a busy night, you can feel claustrophobic real quick! Also, since you can smoke in the casino, you could end up gaging for air. The real sore spot is having to trudge up and down the stairs or go on the elevators to find the game you want... or at least an area of the casino where you can breathe. In the end, it's not all that fun.

Entertainment: There are no big name bands, just local or regional bands coming through there. No that it's bad thing. I'm not a snob. I respect the hard working acts traveling the country. The bands that play at Sam's Town are mostly really good and run the gamut from country to rock to blues. The only thing is the acoustics are bad. The bands are on a little stage in a little dance hall area in the main lobby. So you feel like you're pressed up against the over-tuned speakers of a really bad garage band playing way too loud. If you're coming out of that casino and have a headache from the smoky air... and losing... that's only going to add to your headaches.

As I said in the beginning, we visit this place in tandem with El Dorado and if I were to state a preference, I'd rather spend more time at El Dorado. More open, friendlier staff, better food, overall more enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Weatherford, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at Sam's Town one night while in Shreveport for a baby shower. We arrived around 7:30 on 02/21/13. Valet was great, but other than that the entire experience was terrible. First we walked up to the B-Connected desk - at which time, no one else was in line. Since we were only there for one night, we were uncertain whether we should get a card or not. I walked up to the counter and told the clerk we were just needed information. After talking to her, we decided to go ahead and get a card. LSS, the clerk then asked if I were a Emerald member, I told her no - dah why would I have asked about a card?? By that time several people had formed in the line. The clerk then told me whe had to go to the end of the line because the guy behind me was next. I told her no one was there when we came up so to forget it. As we walked off, she asked the guy next in line and he told her we were there first. The clerk yelled across the lobby for us to come back. #1 Terrible Service.

We decided to eat something quick and go gamble and see the live entertainment. We went to the International Buffet - the worst food/service ever!!! It took us 4 times to get someone to give up silverware and a drink. The food, what there was of it, was dried out and the worst taste, or lack of taste. They told us it was because they were getting ready to close and were not going to put anymore food out. Really??

I contacted the night supervisor, Chuck, who did not care. We were told the Buffet manager would contact us - they didn't. I left a message for the General Mgr, Rose Broadberry, to contact us and when we were available. She left one message at a different times. Since then, nothing.

This is the abosolute worst hotel experience ever!!!!!! Worst food, worst service, and bad, bad attitudes by their service employees. We will never go back or recomment this hotel. Stay at the El Dorado!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here. And if you do, do not eat at the International Buffet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank traveler121079
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
I would like to thank you for your feedback that you provided to us recently through Tripadvisor. We value this information because it helps us to better serve you and assists us in making your overall visit to our property an enjoyable and memorable experience.

I want to sincerely apologize for the negative experience that you had during this trip and please know that these items have been addressed. The great majority of our team members are fantastic and take great pleasure in serving our customers, but in this case we clearly failed to satisfy, and for this I do apologize.

We strive for only the highest level of quality and service for our guests, so if there is any additional feedback that you may like to offer, please feel free to visit our property website.

We would love to invite you back to Sam's Town Shreveport so you can enjoy the quality and excitement that I know our team is capable of delivering.
Texarkana, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

This trip didnt start out great but ended that way. When I went to check in I told them I had reserved a smoking room they informed me that putting smoking on their website was just a "suggestion" . I told them that either I would have a smoking room or would go elsewhere. Then this nice lady came up and told me she would see if she could get me upgraded to the concierge floor because that was all that was left that was smoking room. We got our room and everything else was just fine. Could use some more channels on the tv though.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the river its kind of cool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TimSpellman
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in Room 1118 which is what they consider their hotel room rather than a suite, but the rooms are very large, very comfortable bed & comfy chair & ottoman. Nice desk area also. It is truly an upscale room. The bathroom is very big with a lot of counter room and lots of places to hang towels, etc. There is also a separate makeup area which is very handy to have & the potty room is separate with a door (something I always like).

The "cons" to the room and shower are fewer than the above mentioned "pros", but there are some. The shower head in the bathroom was terrible - poor spray & consequently could not keep your hair dry - (would be an easy fix so I am sure this has been taken care of already). Also, there are not enough TV Channels. (My husband particularly missed CNBC & the Golf channel. Most hotels have these). They do not have free WIFI yet, which we would like to have.

This casino still is in need of upgrades and they definitely need more cocktail servers. Didn't win either, but that's nothing new!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rhatfield
Morgan, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Sam's Town Shreveport is our favorite getaway. My wife and I are retired and going to the casino is our relaxation. Sam's Town treats us like family. We are not big gamblers, but they treat us like we are!! Dena Koury is our Executive Host and really takes excellent care of us. She does an exceptional job to make sure our stay is the most enjoyable possible. I would recommend Sam's town to all. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. Their international buffet is excellent and William B's Steakhouse is a real treat.

Room Tip: We prefer the luxury room with a river front view. Very nice!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael P
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights. The room was huge, it was spotless and very quite. Ebony checked us in and she was friendly, laughing and made us feel welcome. There was no line and check in was smooth and easy. We ate at all the restraunts and they were good. Breakfast was alittle pricey but it was yummmy. We enjoyed the bands that played on Friday night. It was fun to watch all the crazy people dance. The casino has low ceilings are low so it's very smoky. We just play for fun so we went in the mornings. Our dealer was Roddrick. He made our whole trip. So much fun. We followed him from table to table. We didn't win anything but he was so much fun! SAMs town has a jewel and his name is Roddrick! He talked not with just my husband and I but everyone! We saw tons of people winning but we. Just were not lucky. We walked next door and checked out the new casino it was nice but I in the 2 hours we were there I didn't see a single person win anything. We loved SAMs town and will be back! Loved the service from the front desk, casino, food, fun, free WIFI, to the amazing rooms!! Can't wait to go back

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank ksroxanne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shreveport
Horseshoe Bossier City
Boomtown Hotel Casino
#16 of 35 in Bossier City
Residence Inn Shreveport-Bossier City/Downtown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Shreveport West

Been to Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport? Share your experiences!