“HOME AWAY FROM HOME!!”

Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Shreveport
Van, Texas
“HOME AWAY FROM HOME!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is the place to be!! I have been going here since bought out from Harrah's and they have treated me with the utmost respect everytime!! If there ever was a problem, they fixed it immediately.
My family has taken too many trips to count over the years and each time have enjoyed and brought great memories to remember. My children are now grown and keep going back with me as we feel is Home away from Home!!
They have recently remodeled the Hotel and boy is it beautiful. About the only thing I wished they would do is get more dish channels. Limited variety of channels. Room service is impeccable...Front desk service is always with a smile :-).
The pool is outdoors and always a sparkling blue. As for the hottub...I really wished they would get the waterfall going again..that is so serene and nice to see. Spa clientele is very friendly and will go out of their way to accomodate you.
If you would like a terrific RIBEYE...go to Smokey Joe's...I can actually eat this one without steak sauce. If you are looking for a place to get away and relax...Sam's Town is the place!! We will definitely be going back again, and again...

Room Tip: High floor with the City View!! Breathtaking and can see the pool area below!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Goteed1
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Had a one night business stay recently and was impressed with what they offer here.

My parents always stay at Sam's Town in Las Vegas because it's a good "value." So I booked a king room here and was very happy with the room. Recently renovated, it was large and comfortable. They gave me a room on the 20th floor with a nice view of the city.

Also impressed by how friendly the employees are and how they all greet you in passing.

Tried the buffet for dinner and they had some nice local touches that I liked.

About the only bad mark is I had to wait forever for the valet to get my car when the place was completely empty. I decided to use self parking after that and was fine.

The casino is a bit small and kind of depressing, since I'm not a big gambler I decided to stay away from them

I think if you are looking for a big comfortable room for a good price and friendly service, Sam's Town is a very good choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Justneedreservations
Stephenville, Tx
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Spent 2 nights @ Sam's Town 8/12-13. Rooms are great! Huge! Beautiful! Best rates in Shreveport, but don't gamble here. Slots are so tight they squeak. Much, much better paybacks and better choices of new and more exciting machines at the Eldorado, next door. Didn't do too bad on the 3 card poker table at S.T, but they have very few tables of anything,very few!. Dealers were nice, but didn't seem really "excited" to be doing their job. Really enjoyed our room here, and will stay here repeatedly, but until they "update" and loosen up their machines, we'll continue to do our gaming next door.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nurse1490
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My daughter has cerabal palsby and had problems walking... Well the supervisor yelled at me cuz I was moving my vehicle closer... Even yelled profanity... The rooms were great and clean but service was horrible

• Stayed August 2012
Austin TX
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We've stayed here three times and have never been disappointed. We don't gamble, so we go to Sam's Town for the great prices for stellar rooms. The rooms are huge; the bathrooms are extra huge. We got a room overlooking the river and that was nice, too. Only thing I didn't like was that they charge over $10/day for wi-fi. Silly, really. We also couldn't find draft beer in the bars, but were told the casino has draft beer free for gamblers. That didn't help us. Our room did have a few glitches: the doors to the toilet compartment and the closet both stuck and wouldn't close fully. And, strangely, the cold water in the sink was warm. I think the toilet water was warm, too, so maybe a water line was misconnected. I left a note about these items.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnsboro, Texas
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My parents, my daughter, nephew and I got a comp'd room. When we reserved the room, we were told we'd get the Magnolia Suite, as it would be large enough for the 5 of us to SLEEP there. When we got there, the room was already given to someone else. We were not able to get a cot, as that was against the fire code rules. So my nephew, it was his birthday, had to sleep on the two little benches at the ends of the beds, pushed together to make a bed and use the chair for the top of the 'bed'. When we called and asked for extra pillows and a blanket, they said they'd be right up. They called back, 20 minutes later and said we could only have one blanket and one pillow. Then we settled down to check emails, post pics on facebook, etc, imagine my surprise to find out that there is no free wi-fi at this ritzy, resort casino hotel?? When calling downstairs to see if i just needed a password, they said internet access is an EXTRA charge of $10.26. Ummm, I don't know of one hotel/motel that charges for internet. Unbelievable! On to the dining offerings at Sam's Town. We were totally stoked about the crab leg buffet that is served at The Buffet. We waited in line, patiently for 30 min prior to the opening of dinner service. We waited again to be seated at a table. The wait staff were all standing around talking, not taking us hungry patrons that pay their wages too seriously. We finally got shown to a table that was the first one inside the dining area, right in the main thoroughfare and also where the wait staff 'hung around' chatting. But we didn't say anything about it. We sat, some of us went to the buffet, I waited at the table for the drinks and to watch the purses. The waitress brings back the drinks as my nephew is arriving back to the table with his pile of crab legs and he tells me there are no crab crackers at the buffet and I had noticed that the waiters/waitresses had them hanging off of their aprons, for whatever reason. So as she returned with our drinks, I asked her for some, and she looked at me, like I had asked for her head on a silver platter and said with an attitude, "CAN I SIT THESE DRINKS DOWN FIRST?!" I said, 'sure, take your time!' lol I don't do well with rude people. She gave him one set, and I told her that we'd need several more, as all but one of us was eating crab legs. Man, she had an attitude, and I thought, what poor customers of hers were going to be served an extra large helping of her attitude all night! I'm sure she doesn't do well in the tip department. But as I watched her, some 'regulars' came in that she knew, and she was all smiles and laughs, interesting. The next day we ate at Smoky Joe's. We waited in line again, took forever to get our orders put in, let alone receive the food/drinks. The waitress was nice. When we paid the cashier, my mother (who rarely complains about service and usually calls me Hard-hearted Hannah...lol) said 'Your food is excellent but your service is sloooow!' The cashier looked at her, and said nothing, to which I responded, "you've heard that before?" She said 'no, we're just busy'. They were not busy and there were again, lots of staff standing around looking busy, doing nothing. People come there to have a good time and they lose a lot of money and they pay for the salaries of the employees. We all have had jobs we hate, but we do them, it doesn't matter how much you hate it, you should at least give it your all and PRETEND that you care about the people you're serving. My mother and I are both nurses and believe you me, we have tended to our fair share of difficult people, but we do it, and have for years, and if we didn't we would have been fired on the spot!! A smile is easy to come by, and it's really all we ask of each other when we're spending our hard-earned money in your place of business. I won't be back to your hotel, we will stay at the Horseshoe like we usually do, and should have done this time! Our room was very nice, although it was missing a bed, but the thermostat that said it was 60, was more like a balmy 75. A saltine package and a wine glass laid in the hall from the time we got there to the time we left....with housekeepers in the hall every time we went down the hall! Ya'll need to tighten up from top to bottom!! I almost forgot, the pool/hot tub on the 3rd floor was great!

Room Tip: Get one as as close to the bottom floor as possible, as the elevators are very slow and always full
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank adventurer2011_11
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Corporate Digital Marketing Manager at Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We want to sincerely apologize for the negative experience that you had during your most recent visit. Hospitable service is of utmost importance to us and is the foundation of a great experience for our guests. The great majority of our team members are fantastic and take great pleasure in serving our customers, but in this case we clearly failed to satisfy.
We take all feedback seriously, and we will be addressing the issues that you mentioned in your posting. We welcome the opportunity to discuss this further. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continually improve our service levels and overall guest satisfaction.
Springdale
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Our room was very roomy, well furnished and clean.

Our only question was the fact that they did not replenish the same number or towels each night.

We stayed three nights and left a note each day that the room was fine and just to empty the trash and trade out for clean towels.

We started our stay with four bath towels, exactly what we need since I use two, one for hair and one for body and Husband uses one for each shower night/morning.

Each day we got one less...three on day two and only bath towels for our third night.

Maybe we are too picky?

Other than that the room was clean and we had a very nice view.

It was very quiet at night. Our neighbors were very courteous to not make too much noise in the halls.

We met some very nice, friendly and helpful casino servers. Awesome!!!!!

We were a bit miffed at the cashier at the buffet. We met up with a friend that lived near Shreveport and was going to treat her to dinner. A fellow visitor had a free buffet and offered it to her. They were in line just behind us. Apparently the cashier didn't like the fact that her buffet was free, yet she wasn't going to dine with the person that the free buffet was named for.
Confused? So were we. What does it matter?

Room Tip: We got there very early to touch base and let them know that we were there too early to check in but...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ozarksportsgal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shreveport
Horseshoe Bossier City
Residence Inn Shreveport-Bossier City/Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
#10 of 37 in Shreveport

Been to Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport? Share your experiences!