“Does a comp'd room mean you have to pay through the nose for everything else?”

Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Shreveport
Winnsboro, Texas
“Does a comp'd room mean you have to pay through the nose for everything else?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

My parents, my daughter, nephew and I got a comp'd room. When we reserved the room, we were told we'd get the Magnolia Suite, as it would be large enough for the 5 of us to SLEEP there. When we got there, the room was already given to someone else. We were not able to get a cot, as that was against the fire code rules. So my nephew, it was his birthday, had to sleep on the two little benches at the ends of the beds, pushed together to make a bed and use the chair for the top of the 'bed'. When we called and asked for extra pillows and a blanket, they said they'd be right up. They called back, 20 minutes later and said we could only have one blanket and one pillow. Then we settled down to check emails, post pics on facebook, etc, imagine my surprise to find out that there is no free wi-fi at this ritzy, resort casino hotel?? When calling downstairs to see if i just needed a password, they said internet access is an EXTRA charge of $10.26. Ummm, I don't know of one hotel/motel that charges for internet. Unbelievable! On to the dining offerings at Sam's Town. We were totally stoked about the crab leg buffet that is served at The Buffet. We waited in line, patiently for 30 min prior to the opening of dinner service. We waited again to be seated at a table. The wait staff were all standing around talking, not taking us hungry patrons that pay their wages too seriously. We finally got shown to a table that was the first one inside the dining area, right in the main thoroughfare and also where the wait staff 'hung around' chatting. But we didn't say anything about it. We sat, some of us went to the buffet, I waited at the table for the drinks and to watch the purses. The waitress brings back the drinks as my nephew is arriving back to the table with his pile of crab legs and he tells me there are no crab crackers at the buffet and I had noticed that the waiters/waitresses had them hanging off of their aprons, for whatever reason. So as she returned with our drinks, I asked her for some, and she looked at me, like I had asked for her head on a silver platter and said with an attitude, "CAN I SIT THESE DRINKS DOWN FIRST?!" I said, 'sure, take your time!' lol I don't do well with rude people. She gave him one set, and I told her that we'd need several more, as all but one of us was eating crab legs. Man, she had an attitude, and I thought, what poor customers of hers were going to be served an extra large helping of her attitude all night! I'm sure she doesn't do well in the tip department. But as I watched her, some 'regulars' came in that she knew, and she was all smiles and laughs, interesting. The next day we ate at Smoky Joe's. We waited in line again, took forever to get our orders put in, let alone receive the food/drinks. The waitress was nice. When we paid the cashier, my mother (who rarely complains about service and usually calls me Hard-hearted Hannah...lol) said 'Your food is excellent but your service is sloooow!' The cashier looked at her, and said nothing, to which I responded, "you've heard that before?" She said 'no, we're just busy'. They were not busy and there were again, lots of staff standing around looking busy, doing nothing. People come there to have a good time and they lose a lot of money and they pay for the salaries of the employees. We all have had jobs we hate, but we do them, it doesn't matter how much you hate it, you should at least give it your all and PRETEND that you care about the people you're serving. My mother and I are both nurses and believe you me, we have tended to our fair share of difficult people, but we do it, and have for years, and if we didn't we would have been fired on the spot!! A smile is easy to come by, and it's really all we ask of each other when we're spending our hard-earned money in your place of business. I won't be back to your hotel, we will stay at the Horseshoe like we usually do, and should have done this time! Our room was very nice, although it was missing a bed, but the thermostat that said it was 60, was more like a balmy 75. A saltine package and a wine glass laid in the hall from the time we got there to the time we left....with housekeepers in the hall every time we went down the hall! Ya'll need to tighten up from top to bottom!! I almost forgot, the pool/hot tub on the 3rd floor was great!

Room Tip: Get one as as close to the bottom floor as possible, as the elevators are very slow and always full
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank adventurer2011_11
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Corporate Digital Marketing Manager at Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We want to sincerely apologize for the negative experience that you had during your most recent visit. Hospitable service is of utmost importance to us and is the foundation of a great experience for our guests. The great majority of our team members are fantastic and take great pleasure in serving our customers, but in this case we clearly failed to satisfy.
We take all feedback seriously, and we will be addressing the issues that you mentioned in your posting. We welcome the opportunity to discuss this further. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continually improve our service levels and overall guest satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Springdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Our room was very roomy, well furnished and clean.

Our only question was the fact that they did not replenish the same number or towels each night.

We stayed three nights and left a note each day that the room was fine and just to empty the trash and trade out for clean towels.

We started our stay with four bath towels, exactly what we need since I use two, one for hair and one for body and Husband uses one for each shower night/morning.

Each day we got one less...three on day two and only bath towels for our third night.

Maybe we are too picky?

Other than that the room was clean and we had a very nice view.

It was very quiet at night. Our neighbors were very courteous to not make too much noise in the halls.

We met some very nice, friendly and helpful casino servers. Awesome!!!!!

We were a bit miffed at the cashier at the buffet. We met up with a friend that lived near Shreveport and was going to treat her to dinner. A fellow visitor had a free buffet and offered it to her. They were in line just behind us. Apparently the cashier didn't like the fact that her buffet was free, yet she wasn't going to dine with the person that the free buffet was named for.
Confused? So were we. What does it matter?

Room Tip: We got there very early to touch base and let them know that we were there too early to check in but...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ozarksportsgal
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for my mother-in-laws birthday in July. She is usually negitive and finds reasons to complain but when she complained this time she meet one of the mangers at the hotel named Rose (maybe hispanic with black hair) that exceeded her expectations. She called her in her room to make sure she was satisfied and called her at home to check on her. She is telling everyone that the design of the remodel is good but the experience is great!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. The vew is wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Aimee M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Family & friends warned me not to waste my time going to this casino but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. It was Tuesday July 31 around noon when I had the worst casino experience of my life. My first encounter was with a manager that works in the cage on the floor with the table games. Tall, skinny, older, white guy. I never had a chance to get his name but I was asking the young lady in the cage a question. She didn't know the answer so she turned and asked him and it was an instant attitude like I should have known the answer. My second encounter was with a blackjack dealer. She was rude and keep complaining about she hoped that a manager would hurry up and come take her off the table and not one time did she smile & so I tipped her hoping that would make her feel better & she didn't even say thank you nor did she give any signs of appreciation. Eventually, the vibe got worse than what it already was so I cashed out and decided to leave and not stay or eat there. So if you know what's best for you, your money, and time, don't waste it going to SamsTowns in Shreveport because they will leave you with a bad experience and a bad day, especially if your like me and drove 4 hours to get there. And a little note for all SamsTowns employees, if you don't like your job please find another one because that exactly what everyone that I came into contact with was acting like and I will never come back or recommend anyone to come there.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank LOVE_not_FIGHT
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Digital Marketing Manager at Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
We are very sorry to read your comments and apologize that you did not better enjoy your experience at Sam’s Town Casino. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not live up to our usually high standards. We welcome the opportunity to discuss this further. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continually improve our service levels and overall guest satisfaction.
Wilton, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We went July 17th for my birthday. Like I said before, nice break from 7 children. So, we go, and this time we get the 15th floor. Everything looks great, smells nice, no smoke smell, pool great, all that. But I go get in the tub, and as I was sitting back relaxing in the water up to my neck... what do I see? Mold! Under the soap holder, both of them... one that is tiled on the wall, and the one in the corner, and then some mold around the handles on the side of the tub (to pull yourself out). Oh, and a HUGE rip in the fabric shower curtain. I let the housekeeper know that it was ripped. But I didn't report to front desk. I meant to, and I forgot.

It wasn't bad mold/mildew, but it was enough to gross me out just a tad bit. But not enough for me to drain the water and get out just yet. HAHA!! It wasn't in the water.

All in all... another great trip. Maybe I should just do 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank crazy7mom
Lodi, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

Was here with a bus full of tours leaders. Problem with checking in but was handled quickly. Our rooms keys were not ready so therefore we had problems getting out luggage in a timely manner.
Has a great dinner with the TAP group. Nice breakfast at the cafe. Great view of the new casino under construction

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Unbelieveably horrible experience. From the rude check in girl all the way to the condesending self important manager this hotel is missing the mark. The manager was so busy telling me that he is making this a 4 star hotel that he failed to listen to me.

My wife and I had a reservation for 2 nights. The checkin clerk couldn't find it. True I should have had my confirmation number but it was at home. After 5 minutes of her searching (and eye rolling and sighs) I called the maid at home for the confirmation number. The hotel had booked our rooms under the name Smith George. OK, we checked in. We arrive at our room and it was dirty. The maid had not gotten to it yet. We returned to the front desk to be told we would have to wait until the room was cleaned and we should "go gamble or something". Now I'm paying $179 a night to be treated like this!

I will NEVER stay at Sam's Town again. I have also advised my staff (I own an automobile dealership) that if they stay st Sam's Town on company money they will be fired.

4 stars??? Not even worthy of 1.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank George S
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Corporate Digital Marketing Manager at Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding the service levels and the cleanliness of your room. We must apologize that your experience with us was unsatisfactory; this is not in line with our usual high service standards. Your comments have been forward to Hotel Management and Housekeeping. In the future, we encourage you to bring this to our attention immediately so we can rectify the situation promptly. We would also like an opportunity to address your concerns. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your future stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shreveport
Horseshoe Bossier City
Chateau Suite Hotel, Downtown Shreveport
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
#10 of 37 in Shreveport

Been to Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport? Share your experiences!