“In 15 years this was the WORSE casino experience”

Eldorado Resort Casino
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Shreveport
Reviewed February 15, 2007

This was the worse casino experience that I have had in 15 years of visiting casinos at least 20 times per year. The food was horrible and service was even worse. The Sportsman Paradise Cafe has to go down in history as the worse service and food ever. The rooms were nice, but that is where the fun ceased. I had a problem with a slot machine and the Casino Manager came up and acted like he was going to help at first. The it all went down hill. I hope that his employees are not expected to act like him. His name was Mike and he was not fit to manage a lemonade stand. I will never stay there again and advise all of my friends from Dallas to do the same.

Chuck

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 12, 2007

i had received a comp room for 2 nights, when i called i was told they only had 1 room available, that was ok. upon arriving at 4:00 i was told that my room was not ready and would not be ready for a couple of hours. i thought this was strange since check in is from 4-6. i put my things back in the car and played for a while, upon returning to the check-in desk, i was told the room i requested was not ready but another was, i had never requested a certain room.apparently the first lady had put me down for a certain room, not at my request. when i did finally get in my room, it was not very clean. i was very disappointed with my stay. i have stayed many other times with no problem. the l;ady at the check-in desk was very arigant with everyone, and some of the girls at the comp desk act like the comp will come out of their pay if they give it to you. i have had bad experiences the last couple of times i have visited, i had been visiting a couple of times a week, now i do not plan to go back. they have left a bad taste in my mouth. which i need dto mention the buffet is horrible. no taste at all. sams town knows how to do a buffet and do it right maybe eldorado should take lessons from them.

Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed December 10, 2006

My husband and I booked a room at The El Dorado on November 15 for a romantic weekend December 8 and 9th. I looked at several hotels in the area and wanted to stay in close proximity to The Bass Pro Shop and The Boardwalk shopping district. I narrowed our choice down to Sam's Town and the El Dorado. I called ED first and when I called to request a room I was confirmed for 2 nights at a rate of $125. My husband and I were very excited about our upcoming weekend and proceeded to make reservations for dinner at Superior Steakhouse for Saturday and planned out our Christmas Shopping. When we arrived at the hotel it was about 7 pm on Friday, as we were checked in the front desk attendant advised that they only had us booked for one night. I advised this is incorrect the reservation should have been for 2. I was told that they were overbooked by 15 rooms for Saturday and they could not accomadate us. I asked to speak to the manager and was directed to a telephone off to the side and was told to dial zero for reservations. I followed their instructions and when I reached reservations the clerk reiterated what I was told from the front desk, I was also told that I could not cancel my reservation for Friday as their was a 24 hour cxl policy. I then requested again to speak to a manager. I was placed on hold and when the reservations supervisor picked up I was again told that they only had me booked for one night. She then told me that she has spoken to the reservationist that had booked my room originally and that she remembered making my reservation and that she had told me they were sold out. I find it very hard to believe that someone that speaks to hundreds of people remembers booking my room 3 weeks prior. The supervisor then turned very nasty and condescending and told me that I would have to leave the property on Saturday and that that was that, she was not saying anything else about it and she then said "bye bye" very sarcastically and hung up on me. Let's just say that I was irate. I demanded to speak to the hotel GM and waited for about 10 minutes for someone to arrive. When they arrived I explained what had happened. The GM apologized and said she would take care of us, she checked us in for both nights and asked us to please fill out the comment card explaining what had happened. The room itself was very nice, we had a great view of the city and it was very clean. We ate at the Sportsman Grill friday night and had hamburgers. Our waitress was very nice and even made me a milkshake. On Sunday when we checked out we had a big surprise. Our rate jumped from $125 to $150 Friday night and $180 Saturday night. When I inquired about the rate again I was directed to a phone to call reservations. I told them, no I am not going through that again, so the clerk called and was advised that based on their calender that was the rate. I again requested the GM, when called the GM remembered checking us in on Friday and advised to go ahead and reduce our rate. Now the nitty and gritty of this, I worked in the hosipitality industry for over 5 years, I was the reservations supervisor and then front office supervisor for a Hyatt hotel and then a sales manager for Marriott. In all my years of working and travelling I have never come across anyone as rude or condescending as I did with the supervisor on Friday everning. If I had ever acted that way I would not have had a job. The way we were treated cast a palor over the rest of our visit and really put a damper on our romantic weekend. I know we were not comped gamblers or high rollers, and we were not staying there because of the casino, we were looking for strictly lodging. We wanted to find a place that we could get away and relax. We travel to Shrevport about 4 times a year and have always stayed at The Courtyard, we wanted to find a place a little closer to shopping and restaurants, I guess next time we will be staying next door at Sam's Town.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Duffersgirl
Reviewed December 2, 2006

If my experience making reservations for this hotel is any indication of how the stay will be -- We are going to regret it! But my husband is optimistic & really wants to stay at the El Dorado.
I tried to make reservations a few weeks ago & was told that they can't book more than 90 days in advance. So I marked it on my calendar to call back on 12/3 (90 days until 3/3). When I called the nasty lady on the phone told me that they couldn't book more than 90 days in advance. I gave her a math lesson (which is probably what set her off) and explained that today 12/3 is exactly 90 days until 3/3. She went on to tell me that the price list hasn't been published so she wouldn't be able to quote me a price, but would attempt to submit the reservation in the system. Low & behold after all is said & done...... the reservation was accepted - I was given a confirmation # & quoted a price! She just didn't want to work apparently... anyway - hope you have a better experience making your reservation!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dcc05
Reviewed November 23, 2006

Our stay here was extremely disappointing. This hotel is certainly not worth the money they charged. The toilet in our bathroom was detached from the floor and rocked. There was rusty looking stuff coming out from under it and around the wall at the entrance to the bathroom. The bed sloped to the floor on the edges and the sheets were threadbare. Needless to say, we got no rest. The slots are tight and so are the comps. There is no high speed internet except for on the TV, so my husband could not check on his business while we stayed there. No refrigerators. We stay in a lot of Hilton brand hotels, like Hampton Inn and Marriott's Fairfield Inns. These are a lot nicer and about half the price. We will not be going back to Eldorado. Next time we go back to the Horseshoe.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Likeness
Reviewed September 17, 2006

I am a picky, discerning traveler and found the El Dorado Casino and Hotel to be absolutely wonderful!! The rooms are spacious, up to date decor, comfy beds, luxury bathroom with soaking tub (looks like a soaking tub you would see it a fine spa).

A friend and I were here and shared a room in June, 2006. Just 2 months later, we had both rec'd vouchers in the mail - 4 nights worth of comp'ed rooms..EACH. Thats a $360 per person value! The combined total value of the hotel vouchers was $720. Additionally, vouchers for 4 free daily brunches were included for an additional value of about $40. It might be because we spent between $800 and 1k in the one night that we were there. Not sure. It was our once a year casino junket but because we were sent vouchers for a free stay in their luxury rooms, we're going back later this month.

The staff is super friendly..wonderfully trained. Very classy. The security at casino is wonderful!! We always felt safe and well guarded. Bell men and valets were best I've seen since staying at a 5star resort in Maui in 1990. Front desk staff also very helpful.

Areas that need improvement... Are you listening El Dorado??..Check in time needs to be earlier than 4pm. I would be at El Dorado spending more money if check in time were closer to 1pm. I drive in from out of state, and when i finally make it to the El Dorado, I want to be able to unpack my bags, relax momentarily, and then run immediately down to casino to start spending money. I don't want to be stuck with my bags in the conceirge/hospitality room while Im stuck waiting 3 more hours to check in. Check out time should be no earlier than 12 noon and at least 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours should be allowed for late check outs if guest needs it.

Sunday champagne brunch - Extremely disappointed. Much of the food looked like school cafeteria food to me and didn't taste much better. The "champagne well" was small and out of place - and only barely trickled out tiny amounts at a time where there were 100 people waiting to fill their glass. A new champagne dispenser is in order as in a change in the menu. The baked items were all good..muffins and pastries. Eggbeaters should be offered as a choice if you order an omlet.

My club card was not working right and I spent half my time on the first trip trying to get it to work right in the machines. I ended up having to get a whole new card and that card had the same problem. I would have spent more money if I had not had to mess with trying to get my club card fixed for the first 2 hrs i was there.

Finally, there were not enough cocktail waitresses in the casino. I was spending quite a bit of cash and when i finally got a waitress to show up, I tipped her well --but if I moved to another slot machine/table in the casino..Once again, it took an act of congress to get a waitress for cocktails.

Overall, small issues to resolve..But still gets a 5 star rating from me.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TopazDreams
Reviewed September 8, 2006

A Quick History in this hotel first, it opened in late 2001 as the “Hollywood”, the economic downturn of the time, meant it did not do as well as hoped and pretty much went up for sale within a year as the owning company was drowning in debt, it was sold, but didn’t really have any money spent on it. It changed hands again last year and was renamed the Eldorado with the new owners spending money to upgrade the casino and hotel.

We had not been to this casino for two years, we visit Shreveport regularly for Family, and liked the Horsehoe, but I guess our play was not enough as the offers from them have got more pathetic over the past 18 months, and the room rates have gone into the stratosphere. Don’t get me wrong the Horseshoe is nice, but the rooms are not worth $500 plus a night they want to charge me on the weekends. It would cost less to fly to Vegas and Back and stay at the Wynn/Bellagio.

OK enough ranting, with the Eldorado charging $120 plus Tax, it was worth a try, I was a little concerned how well the place had been kept up as its now almost 5 years old, but you have to try these things.

Check in was quick, friendly and smooth, the public areas are all clean and well kept, on the way to the room, was pleasantly surprised, they really have done a good job of maintaining the hotel.

Into the room, and again, the room is clean, tidy and well maintained no signs of any wear/tear - I am impressed. The room has a small marble foyer, off which there is a huge marble Bathroom with big tub, and separate shower. Nice size closet with an in-room safe, just big enough for the laptop and a few other things!

Our bedroom had the king bed, along with a Loveseat, chair and table, with a small window, looking out onto the River. A nice touch the curtains open with a pulley a the side, presumably to replicate the theatre. Its obvious a lot of money was spent on the rooms when the place opened.

Unfortunately there is some downsides, the room doesn’t have a fridge and there is no High Speed Internet, wired or Wi-Fi. Well you could surf via the TV for $7.95 a day but its not the same. My One Big Criticism is the bed Linens, they felt more like Super 8 than the Resort hotel the Eldorado makes itself out to be. If they want to spend money on the hotel, this is the first place they should start. One more minor thing is the limited TV Channel selection, but I guess a Casino Hotel doesn’t want you up in the room watching TV!

The Casino itself has been very nicely updated and is spacious; you cannot tell you are going onto a boat. One problem in the past is that going to Shreveport after a Vegas Trip was such a let down, but you don’t feel that here, the slots and tables definitely have that Vegas Feel.

Foodwise, we only ate room service, which is very reasonably priced! It was very good and service was prompt, we got cheesecake from the downstairs café which was also good and the place itself looks nice having been totally remodeled. I wanted to try the Vintage Steakhouse, but the reviews here and talking to someone who had just been put me off, maybe another time, or there are other places.

Overall a very pleasant stay, we have already booked for Thanksgiving, Right now there is not much choice if you want to stay in someone better than a Motel in Shreveport without having your wallet mugged, but the Eldorado is one of best options right now, if they can fix the minor things in the hotel - it would be perfect!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank davidmf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shreveport
Sam's Town Hotel & Casino, Shreveport
#7 of 38 in Shreveport
Boomtown Hotel Casino
Boomtown Hotel Casino
#15 of 35 in Bossier City

Been to Eldorado Resort Casino? Share your experiences!