“WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN, GREAT BATHROOMS!!!”

Eldorado Resort Casino
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Shreveport
Reviewed July 24, 2006

Had a great stay at the El Dorado with my family. We did not come for the casinos but just wanted a nice place to stay while visiting Shreveport. We were in room 808.
The Good:
-_Nice rooms and a bathroom to die for. I lived in that sunken tub. Kids loved to use the shower too!!!
_The room was decorated nice. Loved the pictures and furniture. Was generally clean but did notice a stain on one of the chairs and the curtain.
_Great views either city or river.
_The whole hotel is beautiful and elegant.
_Staff was great (except at check-in) One worker did not charge us for either of our kids at the buffet. It was an expensive champagne brunch, so it really saved us money. (Kids payed the same as adult) Also when I went to buy a piece of cheesecake at their bakery I commented that it was for my kids and I to share. When I got back to my room and opened the container there was two huge pieces instead of one. Surprise!!!
_ One morning I called housekeeping due due to an unexpected female emergency. (LOL) They were up in a flash with needed goods.
The Bad:
_ We arrived early and I asked how soon could I check-in (posted as 3:00) Was told come back around 1:00. We came back and I was told to come back again. We came back at 2:00 and was told to come back later. Came back about 2:30 and there was a huge line and their computers were down. They had to check people in manually. Really slow and crazy. What upset me was the girls working the check-in desk. They were cold and indifferent. When I finally was able to check in they pretty much ignored me and had to be told by a superviser (who walked over) to help me. It was strange. I promise, I was very polite. Go fiqure.
_ The buffet even though HUGE, was so so taste wise. Nothing had flavor.
All in all i loved the place. Not very many kids there but enough that I didnt feel uncomfortable having mine. They dont cater to familys but I would still recomend the El Dorado.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
9  Thank AUTUMNSUN
There are newer reviews for Eldorado Resort Casino

Reviewed July 1, 2006

We have stayed @ the El Dorado Casino this past March 2006 and certainly enjoyed their remodeling of the rooms. We enjoyed the Buffet and the casual atmosphere and plan on another trip in late July 2006. This Hotel is certainly not like HorseShoe but is definitely better than the Isle of Capri and Sam's

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank BlackHawks1960
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Goodbye lumpy Shreveport, Leeziana! Goodbye to all your slot machines, I’ll miss your Red River District, lack of crowds and lines. 20 West towards Dallas, further from the hotel mattresses. Goodbye Independence Bowl, and The Hollywood Hotel and Casino.

The Hollywood Hotel was where I stayed. Located just off Clyde Fant Blvd, next to The Red River, this Hotel and Casino certainly provides a bit of entertainment. While, a mediocre double queen, an exceptionally beautiful, and sparkling bathroom (both bath and shower) saved the spirit of this room. Downstairs from my ninth floor room (which my parents paid nearly $200.00 for), sits three levels of casino hopping fun. Having already foxed down the more widely traveled Atlantic City (NJ) and Las Vegas (NV) grounds, I was not taken aback with the smell and sounds of humping the American dream. But perhaps you may be…

All three gambling mezzanines had slot machines, and a select amount of Poker/Black Jack 21 tables. As you step out of the elevator onto level one, you’re quickly shown the craps tables. From one minute to the next, yelps of joy, and cries of pain can of course be heard on the six tables of dice and chips. All this amongst the standard quantity of penny, nickel, quarter, and dollar slots machines. Though the size of a large conference room, not a bar was to be found on this level. Apparently craps players work on adrenaline, and not alcohol? Who knows…

Directly above, on level two seemed to be the main carpet where feet shoveled, dreams came true, and of course came to abrupt endings. A few Poker, and BJ-21 tables were clustered in between a large room of slots machines. One of which my cousin Lynde managed to suck out a $900.00 winner in the winding hours of this Saturday night. Once, or twice during my many trips to the bar, the kind bartender saw me coming, and readied my drink like a gentleman and a scholar. So rather than spend three or more dollars per drink, you’ll find yourself dishing an occasional buck or two to tip the bartenders, and waitresses.

Level three featured buy-in, and no limit Texas Hold ‘Em Poker mostly. Just like the levels one and two, this room was an equally sized large conference room. For those unfamiliar with the buy-in stakes, they are the choice of card fanatics, and ESPN wannabee’s alike. Rather than blow fifty dollars inside of five minutes on one of the smaller but more traveled tables, players invest forty dollars and receive 1,000 chips for a 10 player game (expect a waiting list). From there it’s up to the player to see just how much they can (or can not) parlay. From the horse’s mouth, “It’s a lot more fun ya know? You get more bang for your buck” insisted the neighborly onlooker as I watched my Uncle Jerre and friend Allen work the table.

Overall Monetary Outcome
Uncle Jerre - 50
Allen + 300

You decide from there…

Benefits:
Free Drinks-
From Budweiser to Heineken, frozen Margarita’s to cheap well liquors, all drinks served to me were fairly stout. Unlike Vegas, or A.C., you did not have to be gambling to receive these freebies.

Across the street from the Red River District-
This covered (by the river bridge) outside mall-like strip featured bars, restaurants, and a comedy club. Similar to The Fremont Experience in Vegas, this spot was clearly a nice place to be. Free live music nightly (starting in April), entertaining spray paint artists, and cool air breeze off the river made this a serene getaway from the gadgets and lights of the casino.

Great (Free) Parking-
Whether it was a slow Saturday evening or what, we never had to consider parking more than three levels high.

The Hollywood Diner-
Good food, fair prices, attractive Hollywood artifacts and a very spacious dining area. Nice smiles from the waitresses, and waiters.

On the fence observations (good and bad):
Employee interactions-
Though I didn’t do much interacting with guest services, the casino employees seemed balanced out. Just as many frowns, as smiles. Security however was a bit anal, as you might imagine.

The geographical location-
With the seedy part of town only ten blocks west of the hotel, my street roaming contemplation’s were certainly swayed. Also, a fresh new strip mall (with rail) is being built just across the river, and call me crazy but I see this as an attraction shifter.

Nicely put, ‘Suggestions’ (negative observations):
Pricey-With two rooms-(a family trip) rented for one overnight Saturday stay, the total bill came to just under $400.00. For this price, most would expect at least a somber view of the brown (not red) river. This was not the case as I starred into a mediocre Shreveport skyline.

Buffet- I actually refused to allow my parents to purchase a buffet ticket for me at the hefty price tag of $13.99. While I am aware these are normal casino buffet prices, I was buzzing from all the free booze. Add in the gratuity considerations for parties six or more (I was the sixth), and I was headed back up to the room for some HBO (Father Of The Bride). Later my family would tell me the waitress did not even provide any services (i.e.; drinks).

Not very pedestrian friendly streets- Whether it’s the city’s funding, and responsibility is not my concern. It’s in the hotels’ best interest to see that their visitor’s, and paying customers are safe from harm crossing a somewhat busy Clyde Fant Blvd. Pedestrian walkways to the parking garage are simply useless without a walkway traffic light system. You try to stop Louisiana drivers with the mere threat of your walk, we’ll see how far you get.

Overall I had a good time, and I was broke as a joke. Fittingly the Hollywood Hotel and Casino (decorated in past Hollywood theme’s and characters) sitting in between Texas Street and The Sam’s Town Hotel and Casino is an over-expensive, but entertaining stay.

Other things you should know;
*Non-Smokers beware
*18-20 bring a book, and some soda, you’re going be bored out of your skull.
*Cell Phone reception is fairly decent (with the exception of the elevators)
*Check in 4 PM
*Check out Noon
*Very reliable Key Card system (as some are damn frustrating)
*Key card needed for elevator access

19  Thank hstisgod
Reviewed March 14, 2006

service is great except for the maid service, but was greatly compensated. Staff is great. LOVED the bath room! Slots did not pay well, but ok its gambling lol. Will go back again fot sure.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank rufemme
Reviewed February 1, 2006

Sadly the El Dorado has lost its Hollywood charm! I was so disappointed in the casino lack of ambiance! Coin Slots are almost completely gone! Too sad! I was so addicted maybe it's a good thing! I have been cured!
The few attendants all acted as if you were a burden to deal with the customers. So sad! I will miss hearing the coins falling. I do thank you for having great bus service through CoachUSA. Good Luck! El Dorado you're going to need it!

Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank JavaLuvsSlots
A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2006

I had been to this casino when it was the "Hollywood" on several occasions, and i figured it was pretty much the same...Boy, was i Wrong! The Eldorado was dirty, smelled "old"..the employees were not friendly or helpful at all.They didnt have a good selection of slots or tables..We will be visiting a different casino from now on when we visit Shreveport.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 7, 2006

We stayed for the first time at the El Dorado January 2-4, 2006 and found it excellent. They seem to be switching themes from the Hollywood to the new name and still have much of the Hollywood decor and displays. We have stayed at Sam's Town but found the El Dorado hotel layout made it much easier to get around to the casino, restaurants, and parking garage. Also the guest elevators are more convenient to the front desk, diner, and casino. The casino is on three floors and is spacious with restrooms well placed and cashier cages at the center of each room. The guest rooms are clean and up to date in decor and the bathrooms have all the amenities you could want, drawers in the vanity, coffee maker, hair dryer, tv speaker in bathroom, very nice tub and shower, etc. They have the best buffet and the diner is very reasonably priced compared to Sam's Town. We have stayed at Sam's Town in the summer because of the pool; there is no pool at the El Dorado but it does not matter in January. Most importantly we found each and every staff person from waitresses to maids, to desk people to dealers extremely friendly and helpful as well as cheerful. They were doing some remodeling so it is true that not as many machines were available. I would like more video poker machines, however, we play the card games primarily and go to machines only for a short break. Also there were more $5.00 tables at the El Dorado than at Sam's Town and the casino is a lot less crowded with a much more comfortable layout and more space than ST. Only negative was we did not receive our requested wake up calls two days of the three and we were disappointed that the show "Legends", which is super, was taking a break for a few months. I guess that could not be helped. We recommend the El Dorado highly and will return.

• Stayed: January 2006
10  Thank TexMarie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shreveport
Sam's Town Hotel and Casino Shreveport
Boomtown Hotel Casino
Boomtown Hotel Casino
#15 of 35 in Bossier City
Residence Inn Shreveport-Bossier City/Downtown

Been to Eldorado Resort Casino? Share your experiences!