“BEST Gumbo in Louisiana!”

Brother's Seafood To Go
Ranked #95 of 586 Restaurants in Shreveport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2012

First of all. I have no idea why some of these people are complaining. The fish was "spicy"? Really? You're in Louisiana Poindexter. Louisiana keeps it spicy!
Now for the review. So, this place is a bit of a hole in the wall. Not the nicest looking place, but as my wife says "They're too busy making the food taste good to worry about the looks". Their gumbo has got to be the best tasting gumbo in all of Louisiana. If there is something better, I have not tasted it, and I travel all over Louisiana. It has chicken, shrimp, sausage and actual giant pieces of crab! It is not something that can really be described, but I do know that my mouth is watering just thinking about it and I just had lunch.
Their red beans and rice is amazing and so is their beef tips, which I believe is one of the favorites there. The food here is so good that I bought an Igloo ice chest just so that I could bring food back with me to Houston, TX on a 5 hour trip.
If you are ever in Shreveport, I truly recommend this place!!!

Date of visit: March 2012
2  Thank erives174

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Overpriced mediocre food, with terrible service. Brought out of town guests to Brothers, waited 20 min to order, 30 min for food, 25 min for check. Will not return

Date of visit: February 2012
Reviewed December 1, 2011

This is definitely a place to eat. I love their food, the prices are a little expensive though. I look forward to visiting this restaurant everytime I come to Shreveport.

Date of visit: November 2011
Reviewed October 22, 2011

This is truly authentic Cajun cuisine! They were quite busy the night we were there and not all of our dinner came out together, but it all tasted great! Our waitress was very nice and she even brought out a bite of their signature dish "beef tips" to my husband, but only after we had eaten. He is very picky about this dish, but after tasting it and seeing that it was cooked to perfection and easily fell apart, he was sorry that he did not order it!

I ordered the appetizer of beans, rice and sausage, a salad and a cup of the gumbo! It was more than enough food! The cornbread is definitely southern with that hint of sweet taste. We had no idea that this is the oldest continuously operating African American restaurant in the US! We can certainly see why they are still open!

Date of visit: October 2011
Reviewed September 8, 2011

While traveling we stopped at the HI Express in Shreveport La.
We asked the hotel clerk where we could get real good local Cajon food... this was it!
The outside and inside are basic family diner. My wife ordered the Grilled Cajon Catfish and a cup of Gumbo, I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak ( what can I say, guys like Meat, Gravy and Fries). My wife enjoyed the Sweet Tea and I ordered a soft drink, the wait staff was pretty good at keeping the drinks refilled. The food came pretty quickly... my wife loved the Catfish and thought the Gumbo was heavenly. She did not try the included Rice with gravy as it was not in her calorie range, it did look good My Chicken Fried Steak was great, the gravy and fries were also very good, the portion size was large enough that almost any guy would be satisfied. We complemented the cook on the wonderful meals he cooked for us.
If in the area, you should give it a try.

Date of visit: July 2011