“Delicious food, friendly service, and good prices”
Review of India's Restaurant

India's Restaurant
Ranked #163 of 518 Restaurants in Shreveport
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was really impressed with the food here. The building is nothing fancy, and the neighborhood has seen better days, but the food was very tasty. The ambiance inside was quite pleasant, with statues of Hindu gods and Christmas lights. We were given papadum with mint and tamarind chutneys while we looked over the menu. I had chicken tikka masala and naan, both of which were perfect. I also had a roohafza, a first for me. It was rose water, sugar, and soda water, and I enjoyed it immensely. It was enchanting. My boyfriend had chicken tikka kebabs and a Kingfisher beer. The food was spicy but not too spicy, and the service was friendly and unobtrusive. We ate and drank for under $40, and a similar meal would cost us nearly $70 at our favorite Indian place near our hometown. India's is awesome!

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Food is good. The lunch buffet is solid nut the price keeps slowly increasing.

1  Thank John E
A_Brit_ABroad_71104, Manager at India's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear John

Just for the record the price of the buffet did rise when the new owners took over in July 2010, however they have stayed the same since then.

I am glad you find the food on the buffet solid. Since I took charge in July 2011 I have made every effort to ensure that the only shift in quality is upwards. I hope your experience with us continues to be a good one.

Regards

Terry

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I have eaten at this restaurant maybe 25 to 40 times, mostly at lunch. It is not all that special for Indian food, and a few years ago was down-right terrible. What was terrible is that the owners at the time just did not understand the concept of a buffet as it is understood in the United States. You had to time your visit to before the noon rush or well after the rush. The proprietors would put out full warming trays of the 7 or 8 things of the day's selection, and then seemingly never replace the food as the trays would empty. I have been there numerous times when I would take the final 3 or 4 pieces of chicken in Chicken Tiki Marsala (a staple) and it would be 20 to 30 minutes before they added any more meat to the sauce. If you entered the restaurant during that next 20 minutes, you had one less choice. I have been there when three of the 5 or 6 choices were completely gone and not replenished for a very long time. The proprietors just didn't watch the trays. I have seen people enter and have to eat what no one else wanted to eat because that was all that was left. Customers would go back three or four times to check for new additions and find nothing had changed. It was so bad that I eventually wrote off this restaurant and stopped going. The husband and wife proprietors then sold the restaurant and it has been taken over by new management about early 2011. I hope this group knows how to run a buffet. I did not go back until December 2011 for dinner. I don't know how the buffet has fared as I have not had the courage to try it again, but we decided to try dinner. Dinner was good. The food was well prepared. The serving sizes were very small. We ordered two meat dishes (seafood and lamb) and one vegetarian dish. The meat dishes were very small for the price and if we had not ordered the vegetarian dish, we would have left hungry.
My opinion is that the other main Shreveport Indian restaurant (Indigo) is much better and a much better value. Their lunch buffet is always excellent (about $12.00) and they know how to serve a buffet. Everything about Indigo is first class.
I have eaten at better than 50 different Indian restaurants all across the world, and this one is just average in food quality and used to be much below average on their buffet.

1  Thank Chonce

I find your review of the buffet a little harsh considering you admit yourself you have not sampled that side of our business for close to two years now. I do hope you will try us again in the near future to see that the problems you experienced back then are now a thing of the past.

Regards

Terry Walker

Reviewed October 17, 2011

This restaurant doesn't look like much on the outside, but it is a gem of a restaurant! We were seated right away and our order came out perfectly. It was so wonderful and unexpected to find great Indian food in the middle of Shreveport. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed September 16, 2011

We travel a lot, and we eat Indian food in almost every place we go. India's is not only hands-down the best Indian food in Shreveport, it's the best we've had anywhere. Vienna and Honolulu both had the best we've had outside of Shreveport, but we keep comparing others to India's without finding a better restaurant.

The food did have a downturn for a while, and we stopped going for a short period of time. But, the cook situation was resolved and it's back to its top notch status. Service is much better now than it was. The addition of a savvy business manager helped in this regard.

Give India's a try, and I bet you won't be disappointed. We've been going for 6 years, and it's our favorite ethnic food location in Shreveport (along with Albasha Greek/Lebanese).