“Decidedly average!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Anick
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It's been a couple of weeks since we ate here and we've had some really good grub since,which has kind of emphasized how poor our meal was.
I had the belly pork from the evening menu. I love belly pork,especially when it's been slow cooked for hours and the meat and the fat render down and become melt In the mouth unctious and crackling is light and crispy,however the pork was was chewy and dry,suggesting a lack of time in the oven and as for the crackling, well it didn't come with any! Oh dear.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed June 2, 2019 via mobile

I assume all the accolades are for evening meals, as the Sunday lunch was not short of average pub grub.
Have eaten here before on a few occasions,
Partner ordered the soup which was carrot and swede which was nice. I ordered the terrine which was good.
We both ordered the belly pork Sunday lunch.
The pork had nice flavour if not slightly dry.
The roast potatoes were inedible. Think they had been lying around the kitchen all afternoon and the outer was like shoe leather. Cabbage and carrots were ok, boiled potatoes had been peeling in a machine and were like you got at school. The cauliflower was this side of under cooked. Gravy debatable.
If i ordered this in average pub i would have accepted it but this is highly rated.
The table was sticky, there were no napkins with starters and nobody checked in with us during the meal to see if it was ok or if we needed more drink, I went to bar.
Its a real shame as it is a picture postcard pub in the country
I told our waitress at the end of the meal but.........nothing

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed May 26, 2019 via mobile

We went for a family meal on a Saturday night. The food was excellent with two of the party having the veggie option of spring vegetable pie and rest split between fish, confit duck and a fillet steak with peppercorn sauce.... all of it was superb, all served on time. We loved the atmosphere of the pub which was relaxed and friendly and the staff have the balance just right of being attentive but not to obtrusive. The dark chocolate parfait with salted caramel and banana was worth the visit alone and the rhubarb frangipani also highly rated. For the experience I would say the price was pretty good... we will be back.

Reviewed May 14, 2019

Nice menu with a range of differently priced dishes. We opted for a piece of beef (sold by weight). Very good quality but portions are on the large side so take that into account when ordering. Would definitely return.

Reviewed May 6, 2019

First time here, booked for lunch and did enjoy it . I asked for gravy with the belly pork to be told " we dont do it" but you can have brown sauce... Really!!! a gastro pub that doesn't do gravy ?? It wasnt something out of the ordinary... It let it down with just a no ... not even I'll check... Customer should never just be told no! Quality of food was good but I've been elsewhere where they always try to accommodate you .