“Very disappointing sunday linch”
Review of The Rat Inn

The Rat Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Anick
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2019 via mobile

I assume all the accolades are for evening meals, as the Sunday lunch was not short of average pub grub.
Have eaten here before on a few occasions,
Partner ordered the soup which was carrot and swede which was nice. I ordered the terrine which was good.
We both ordered the belly pork Sunday lunch.
The pork had nice flavour if not slightly dry.
The roast potatoes were inedible. Think they had been lying around the kitchen all afternoon and the outer was like shoe leather. Cabbage and carrots were ok, boiled potatoes had been peeling in a machine and were like you got at school. The cauliflower was this side of under cooked. Gravy debatable.
If i ordered this in average pub i would have accepted it but this is highly rated.
The table was sticky, there were no napkins with starters and nobody checked in with us during the meal to see if it was ok or if we needed more drink, I went to bar.
Its a real shame as it is a picture postcard pub in the country
I told our waitress at the end of the meal but.........nothing

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed May 26, 2019 via mobile

We went for a family meal on a Saturday night. The food was excellent with two of the party having the veggie option of spring vegetable pie and rest split between fish, confit duck and a fillet steak with peppercorn sauce.... all of it was superb, all served on time. We loved the atmosphere of the pub which was relaxed and friendly and the staff have the balance just right of being attentive but not to obtrusive. The dark chocolate parfait with salted caramel and banana was worth the visit alone and the rhubarb frangipani also highly rated. For the experience I would say the price was pretty good... we will be back.

Reviewed May 14, 2019

Nice menu with a range of differently priced dishes. We opted for a piece of beef (sold by weight). Very good quality but portions are on the large side so take that into account when ordering. Would definitely return.

Reviewed May 6, 2019

First time here, booked for lunch and did enjoy it . I asked for gravy with the belly pork to be told " we dont do it" but you can have brown sauce... Really!!! a gastro pub that doesn't do gravy ?? It wasnt something out of the ordinary... It let it down with just a no ... not even I'll check... Customer should never just be told no! Quality of food was good but I've been elsewhere where they always try to accommodate you .

Reviewed April 23, 2019

Never disappointed at The Rat, the surroundings are just so lovely a place to chill out and forget about your worries for a while, the service is excellent, and it's great at this time of year as it is has the added benefit of tables in the beer garden, lovely views over the Tyne Valley where you can enjoy the sun and listen to the birds tweeting in the garden, perfect. Drinks are always spot on I usually treat myself to a couple of glasses of champagne which is always fizzy. The Mr. goes for non alcoholic ginger beer, lovely... He is pescatrian so he opted for fish with prawns not sure what the sauce was but he said it tasted lovely, I went for the old faithful, fillet steak and chips, can't go wrong with The Rat Inn chips, and a lovely peppercorn sauce. I had an amazing dessert not sure what it was called, but it had pieces of orange in among the chocolate dessert which was gluten free, what a delight, the Mr. went for sticky toffee pudding with cream which he said was yummy. There are always a lot of different options for gluten free which I have to stick to due to having coeliac, so it is always great to know I can have a sandwich with gluten free bread. Oh almost forgot my starter was charcuterie ( is that the correct spelling ?) and it was lovely a bit of pate, pickle, different meats, and toast fabulous...The Mr had soup but can't remember what kind he said it was yummy. Wish I lived on the doorstep as I would be there every day....

Date of visit: April 2019