“Great place to visit with super food”
Review of The Rat Inn

The Rat Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Anick
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice menu with a range of differently priced dishes. We opted for a piece of beef (sold by weight). Very good quality but portions are on the large side so take that into account when ordering. Would definitely return.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed May 6, 2019

First time here, booked for lunch and did enjoy it . I asked for gravy with the belly pork to be told " we dont do it" but you can have brown sauce... Really!!! a gastro pub that doesn't do gravy ?? It wasnt something out of the ordinary... It let it down with just a no ... not even I'll check... Customer should never just be told no! Quality of food was good but I've been elsewhere where they always try to accommodate you .

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 23, 2019

Never disappointed at The Rat, the surroundings are just so lovely a place to chill out and forget about your worries for a while, the service is excellent, and it's great at this time of year as it is has the added benefit of tables in the beer garden, lovely views over the Tyne Valley where you can enjoy the sun and listen to the birds tweeting in the garden, perfect. Drinks are always spot on I usually treat myself to a couple of glasses of champagne which is always fizzy. The Mr. goes for non alcoholic ginger beer, lovely... He is pescatrian so he opted for fish with prawns not sure what the sauce was but he said it tasted lovely, I went for the old faithful, fillet steak and chips, can't go wrong with The Rat Inn chips, and a lovely peppercorn sauce. I had an amazing dessert not sure what it was called, but it had pieces of orange in among the chocolate dessert which was gluten free, what a delight, the Mr. went for sticky toffee pudding with cream which he said was yummy. There are always a lot of different options for gluten free which I have to stick to due to having coeliac, so it is always great to know I can have a sandwich with gluten free bread. Oh almost forgot my starter was charcuterie ( is that the correct spelling ?) and it was lovely a bit of pate, pickle, different meats, and toast fabulous...The Mr had soup but can't remember what kind he said it was yummy. Wish I lived on the doorstep as I would be there every day....

1  Thank Betty65F
Reviewed April 21, 2019

Excellent warming food for an icy day. Good service and ambiance. No wonder it is recommended by many.

Reviewed April 18, 2019 via mobile

I actually don’t know why I haven’t written this review before now as we dine here fairly regularly, so apologies for the delay.

I love this place and would highly recommend it to anyone. The specials board changes daily, depending on what locally sourced ingredients they are showcasing, with the menu having a few staples that you can rely on being delicious. I think showcasing is the best way I can describe the food here. No silly swirls of balsamic that add nothing but a bit of decoration to the plate, everything is lovingly prepared so that the flavours of the ingredients are what stand out and make it special. That’s not to say the plating is not done with care and attention too, it is, it’s just not pretentious.

Personal favourites are:
The terrine of the day, I think we’ve tried them all and they are amazing. Served with toasted brioche bread and a little chutney, perfect.

The ground rib burger!! Seriously guys, I have no idea how you pack so much flavour into your burgers but they are hands down the best I have ever eaten. They always accommodate my pickiness as well and swap the cheese to a mature cheddar.

I could eat the oysters all day!

Oh, and the sticky toffee pudding. You have to try the sticky toffee pudding with homemade ice-cream.

If you love great food, high quality ingredients, locally sourced and cooked to really highlight the amazing flavours, do yourself and your palette a favour and book here.