“GREAT!!”
Review of The Hotel Francis

The Hotel Francis
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed one night at the hotel. The price was wonderful. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and looked to have been remodeled recently. The breakfast was good. We were close by all the things we wanted to do. We will stay again at the hotel.

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying on the pond side. The view was pretty.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer D
cstroud, General Manager at The Hotel Francis, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. We continually strive to make our guests feel like part of our own family when they stay and i'm glad to see we didn't disappoint. We hope that if your travels ever bring you back to St. Francisville you will once again stay with us, it is truly Our Pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I had to stay at the "Mag" for two weeks May '12.
A saw what I thought was just a spot on the carpet. I brushed it with a damp cloth whkch immediately turned a dark black! It seems that their vacuums never get within two inches of the walls which leaves a nice ring of god knows what at the base of each wall. Other friends staying there showed me their sink which had backed up brown water and for some reason a dozen or so Crickets! Other friends reported non-working microwaves and a totally dispirited cleaning crew.
Oh yes one of us had his car broken into while we were there.

Room Tip: Try the Best Western down the street!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jack E

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us here at The Magnuson Hotel St. Francisville. I'm sorry to see that you experienced some problems while staying with us. I have looked into the issues that you have mentioned and rest assured they are being addressed and corrected. I hope that if you are ever back in the area you will give us another opportunity to host you.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We chose this hotel because there are only 2 hotels inthis town and this one was much cheaper. The other is newer but about $25 more. The hotel was older but well kept and tidy. The room was comfortable with a desk amd mini fridge with a microwave. There is a good breakfast with hot and cold items and a really great workout facility. Staff was was friendly and helpful. If you have never visited Saint Francisville, you should. It's great for a one or two day trip.

Room Tip: We suggest a room facing the pool if youare going to use it or lake side if you don't plan on sw...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us here at The Magnuson Hotel St. Francisville. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that if you are ever back in the area you will allow us to host you once again. It would be "Our Pleasure".

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I was housed here by my employer for work in the area. This is an old tired property that has seen better days. The room I was in has an air conditioner that sounds like a B52 at start up and cycles constantly. The smell in the room is musty with plenty of cleaning product smell overlaid. In the far corner of the room there is a sickly sweet smell I cannot identify so I use the bed further from this corner.

The paint on my window is peeling off in sheets and the door looks battered. The door from the lobby is broken and there is a sign advising not to use it. . . 2 weeks and no repair. I think this may be permanent. Also the ice machine in the breezeway leaks and leaves a big puddle of water on the tiles. . . I told the front desk this was a hazard so they put a "Hazard" sign in the puddle. Puddle still there.

The carpet in my room looks brand new and I think that is the best part of this place. The towels are tiny and thin and the shower is barely adequate with knobs that are loose and just hanging on by a thread.

I would compare this motel to an older "Days Inn" or "Motel 6" and say only stay here for one night if you are falling asleep at the wheel.

The afternoon desk help seem friendly but the morning person is morose (and I really can't blame her) so don't look for a smile or a hello.

Room Tip: Avoid. Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank camop
cstroud, General Manager at The Hotel Francis, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the Magnuson Hotel St. Francisville. I want you to know I take these reviews personally and want to assure you the issues that you mentioned are being looked into and corrected. I apologize if your stay with us was anything but pleasant. We have been in the process of renovating and remodeling the hotel and hope to have this completed shortly. The air conditioner you mentioned has been replaced with a brand new one and maintenance has taken care of the knobs in the shower. The puddle by the ice machine was due to a clogged line that has since been taken care of as well. The out of order door has been fixed as well. I hope that if you are ever back in the area you will give us another opportunity to host you. We are a family owned hotel and want our guests to feel like they are a part of our family when they stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Sincerly,

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I typically do not write on-line reviews, but after reading some of the positive responses left by "former guests", I feel like I must leave this review as a public service announcement to your readers.
My wife and I stayed at this hotel recently and were horrified by the condition of the facility and our room. Firstly, I understand that the Magnuson is a budget hotel and am ok with the fact that the facility is badly in need of updating(think Carter administration). However, I wish that I could say that my complaints were isolated to the retro look of the hotel. Upon entering the room, we were overwhelmed by a musty odor and could not tell it if is originating from the filthy carpets, bedding or the stained curtains. Upon further examination, the flooring had an extreme amount of body hair trapped in the seam between the floor and the wall. Needless to say, we wore our shoes for the entirety of our stay.
Our experience only went down hill from there when we entered the bathroom and saw the condition of the shower stall. The shower was extremely grimy and had moldy caulk and rust around the tub and drain. We chose to skip the shower and decided to go strait to bed for an extremely uncomfortable and restless night of sleep. In short, I feel that the hotel's management needs to seriously reassess the condition of their hotel and update their website images to reflect an accurate portrayal of the product that they are selling.

Room Tip: I would find another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Todd A
cstroud, General Manager at The Hotel Francis, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

I am sorry to see your experience was less than satisfactory. I want to assure you we take these comments very seriously and strive to provide quality service to all of our guests. I have addressed the issues you mentioned with the appropriate departments to ensure they are doing everything they should to make sure issues like this are prevented. I would also like to know if you addressed these issues with anyone here at the hotel during your stay and if so with whom did you tell ? We are a family owned hotel and we want our guests to feel like they are part of our family when they stay with us. We hope that if you are ever in the area again you will give us the opportunity to host you. If you have any questions please feel free to email or call me directly at the hotel.

Sincerly

Reviewed April 25, 2012

I really enjoyed my overnight stay at the Magnuson Hotel in St. Francisville. I now know what true Southern Hospitality is all about. Casey and Katie were especially hospitable and bent over backwards to make my stay very nice. The hotel is a good value as it comes with free breakfast and access to a full size fitness center. I enjoyed sitting by the lake and reading the newspaper with my morning coffee. The room was very clean and had everything that I needed including a microwave and fridge and free wireless internet. Thank you Casey, Katie and the entire staff.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rusty A

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at The Magnuson Hotel St. Francisville. We take great pride in offering our guests true southern hospitality and i'm glad to see we didn't disappoint. We hope that if you are ever back in the area you will choose to stay with us again. It would be "Our Pleasure" to host you once again.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Once again, I had to re-verify this property's address after reading such nice reviews below.

A small group of us stayed here recently with varying experiences. Our room was simply dirty - the sort of carpet that you really don't want to go barefoot on. Another's room had a nice collection of live cockroaches, and a third experienced a flooding problem from the roof - awaking to find half their carpet awash! People arriving late are easily heard outside your door as if they were inside your room! The breakfast might have been decent if it hadn't been cold to luke-warm. Over all, the condition of the property was in poor shape.

It's easy to say that the Katrina evacuees trashed the hotel (we were told this by staff) but it's another thing to run the hotel in this condition. All involved should be ashamed!

Room Tip: avoid staying here
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank gone-frequently
cstroud, General Manager at The Hotel Francis, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

I am sorry to see your experience was less than satisfactory. I want to assure you we take these comments very seriously and strive to provide quality service to all of our guests. I have addressed the issues you mentioned with the appropriate departments to ensure they are doing everything they should to make sure issues like this are prevented. We are a family owned hotel and we want our guests to feel like they are part of our family when they stay with us. We hope that if you are ever in the area again you will give us the opportunity to host you. If you have any questions please feel free to email or call me directly at the hotel.

Warmest regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Francisville
Best Western St. Francisville Hotel
Best Western St. Francisville Ho...
#1 of 3 in Saint Francisville
Oak Tree Inn - Livonia West
St. Francisville Inn
St. Francisville Inn
#5 of 9 in Saint Francisville

Been to The Hotel Francis? Share your experiences!