All reviews mystery tour the main house ghost hunting carriage house williams room grounds are beautiful ghost stories haunted places next morning woodruff suite bradford suite ruffin stirling other guests back porch caretakers cottage big house rocking chairs
Reviewed April 29, 2018 via mobile

Always loved history and hearing old stories. My husband and I decided to try The Myrtles Plantation. Beautiful house with a lot of history. I took a lot of pictures, but I think I caught a ghost in one of them. I tried to upload it, but for some reason it won't let me....hmmmm

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank megreen14
chloe1796, Manager at The Myrtles Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2018

What an exciting find. We are so happy you had a great time while staying with us. If you have time please email the picture to us at amanda@myrtlesplantation. We would've to see it. Thank you again.

Reviewed April 23, 2018 via mobile

Took a night stay at the myrtles plantation in the caretaker quarters. Roamed the property in hopes of finding any activity. Made some new friends that let us look and take pictures of their rooms Took a lot of pics. Haven’t seen anything yet but will look but doubtful I’ll see anything. Tour guide said the owner had to take pictures of the house and grounds to send to the insurance company so the plantation could be insured. Never heard of an insurance company asking that as they are the ones to come out and take pics. So supposedly one of the pictures of the slave that poisoned a family that lived there was caught on one of the pictures Anyway not saying the place isn’t haunted just that our group didn’t see anything out if the ordinary. It’s a very beautiful place The breakfast was very good.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Happy_yorkie_camper
Reviewed April 13, 2018

I'd wanted to stay at the Myrtles Plantation with its touted plethora of spirits for years. So last night, I finally did. My husband and I booked the Fannie Williams Room--also known as the Doll Room. We picked up our keys from Hester, in the gift shop. She is such a lovely person. I would have loved to have sat down and talked with her for a few hours. As part of one's stay, there is a complementary tour of the home. Our tour was led by Sarah--who did a great job. There's a lot of stress on the property being haunted. The history may be suspect. The folks at the Myrtles tell the story of Chloe, a slave, who had been the owner's mistress and who, having been later banished from the house, baked a cake for his daughters' birthdays with oleander in it. Her plan had been to cause the girls and their mother to fall sick--after which she would nurse them back to health, regaining the master's affection as well as his gratitude.. This plan apparently went awry and they died. The other slaves then hung Chloe so that they would not be punished themselves. In doing some reading about this, I've learned that there is no evidence that Chloe ever existed and apparently the children and wife died from yellow fever. Who knows? There are reports of people having seen Chloe's ghost about and even a photograph that may have captured her image.
The house is beautiful, as are the grounds. During the tour, you can take photographs--as long as you don't use a flash. An object of much interest is a haunted mirror--photos of which often pick up unusual images. One thing that's helpful to know, however, is that these areas of the house are not open to guests outside of the tours.
Our room was accessed by a staircase that led to a common sitting area. Besides the Fannie Williams Room, doors from the sitting area led to the Ruffin Sterling, John Leake, and William Winter Rooms. Both the Fannie Williams and the Ruffin Sterling Rooms do not have bathrooms ensuite. You get an extra key to a bathroom a few steps from your room with a sink, shower, and toilet. The good thing, though, is that you do not have to share these bathrooms. I found our bathroom clean and stocked with luxurious toiletries. Be aware, also, that there are no televisions or phones in the rooms. The lighting is low. They do have Internet, which works well.
(I can't speak for the cabins, which they also rent out). The Fannie Williams bed is tall and has a step stool on which you can step up to get into the bed. I'm fairly short--I used the stool to get into the bed, but was able to slide back out of it without the stool. The rooms are furnished with antiques. It's as if you're going back in time. This is not the place for you if you're looking for creature comforts. I had been hoping to have a ghostly experience, but nothing happened, which was a disappointment. A breakfast is provided in the gift shop in the morning. George, the cook, had prepared a delicious spread--scones with different toppings, grits, eggs, sausages, fruits, juices, and great coffee. I'm glad that I finally got to stay at the Myrtles. After having read various reviews that were written in the past, I believe that the owners have made a lot of improvements to the property. I would stay again if I ever came this way another time.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank tks617
chloe1796, Manager at The Myrtles Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the plantation. We are delighted that your stay with us was enjoyable. Mrs Hester is such a great part of the Myrtles and has so many stories to tell the guests. She is always a highlight for everyone that comes to visit us. Please come back and see us again. Our new restaurant will be completed in November. It is sure to enhance your next trip to see us. Thank you again.

Reviewed April 9, 2018

I wanted to see the "haunted" mansion, but upon arrival I was glad I didn't prepay for the tour. There was a lot of construction going on and it really did not feel at all like I had stepped back in time. Didn't stay long gift shop had some decent trinkets. Stayed and walked around the pond and left.

Room tip: I did not stay overnight
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank sonotraveler5959
Reviewed April 7, 2018

Visiting the mansion scratched an item off my bucket list, thanks to a surprise from my husband! I've wanted to see Myrtles Plantation since I was a kid. The mansion and gardens were hauntingly beautiful, but we didn't experience any supernatural activities other than my daughter's phone flying out of her hand twice.

Pros: Economical for the daily tour, breathtaking grounds, animated tour guide, easy and free access to view gardens, gift shop, friendly staff, ample, free parking. Fascinating historical information, creepy, mysterious vibe

Cons: Daily tour only goes into 6 rooms and lasts for 1 hr.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank kayakdaddy

Thank you and your husband for coming and being our guests. We are so happy you were able to finally make it here to see us. Please come back to visit when the new restaurant is completed. Thank you again.