All reviews mystery tour the main house ghost hunting carriage house williams room grounds are beautiful ghost stories haunted places next morning woodruff suite bradford suite ruffin stirling other guests back porch caretakers cottage big house front porch
Reviewed September 23, 2016

I don't believe in ghosts. I've visited several hotels and houses that claimed to be haunted, including the Stanley Hotel in Colorado and the Cashtown Inn in Pennsylvania. Sorry, Casper, I wasn't aware of any out-of-this-world happenings. Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville, Louisiana, located just off U.S. Highway 61, also has a reputation for being haunted. Again, I discovered no evidence. However, Myrtles is an historic antebellum house in a very historic town that must be included on your must-see list. Built in 1797 by General David Bradford, who was forced to flee from George Washington's army in 1794 because of his leadership role in the Whisky Rebellion, it is a broad, low, rambling frame mansion with a clapboard interior that was constructed in two halves. The first half, built in 1796, forms the western six bays of the main facade. In the mid-19th century, the house received a southward extension that almost doubled its size. The unusually long gallery is supported by an exceptional cast-iron railing of elaborate grape-cluster design. However, the most important feature of Myrtles is the interior detailing. Most of the ground floor rooms have fine marble, arched mantles in the Rococo Revival style, with central console keystones or cartouches. Most of the rooms have plaster-ceiling medallions, no two alike. All of the flooring and most of the windows in the house are original. Myrtles is an outstanding example of the expanded raised cottage form that characterized many Louisiana plantation houses in the mid-19th century. But is it haunted? Local folklore persists that it was the scene of a Reconstruction-era axe murder and other deaths over the years. You'll hear about Chloe, a young slave girl. And you can schedule a candlelight mystery tour. Some bed-and-breakfasters insist the stories are true. Frankly, I preferred a tour of the house, which has been restored to its 1850s opulence, complete with the fine French furnishings and chandeliers. And the on-site restaurant offers fine southern cooking and some Cajun delights for lunch.

Room tip: Rooms on the north side are said to be more haunted than those on the south, if you believe in those sort of things.
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taylor B
chloe1796, Public Relations Manager at The Myrtles Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write such a phenomenal review of The Myrtles Plantation. We take great pride in relaying the history of the plantation to our guest and creating the perfect ambiance of the house. It's so satisfying to hear that our guest appreciate just how special the plantation is. Aside from the folklore that surrounds our 200+ year old grounds of sweeping live oaks and crepe myrtles, the history of The Myrtles Plantation stands for itself and in that makes the plantation such an amazing place. Thank you again for your wonderful review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2016 via mobile

I was travelling with my boyfriend, mother, step dad and my brother on a family trip for a 2 night stay over the weekend. First impressions of the property were mind blowing. Pictures just don't do it justice! The grounds are immaculate and the house is breathtaking! My boyfriend and I stayed in the Bradford suite and the rest of the family were In the Live Oak cottage. On day one my mum took an afternoon nap in the cottage only to wake with someone pushing the bed. She thought it was my brother playing a prank but he was fast asleep on the couch in the other room! That night she changed beds and my brother got stuck with that one. He's completely skeptical about ghosts but after having his head pushed into the pillow forcefully and 1.5 hrs later his legs pushed into the bed he is now a complete believer in the paranormal! Also that day my boyfriend Ben took me for a walk beneath the Spanish moss in front of the house where he proceeded to get down on one knee and propose! He knows the myrtles was my dream place to visit so it made the whole experience even more magical!
Such a hauntingly romantic setting that was perfect for me.
On our last night I awoke at about 3am feeling like something was on the foot of the bed. I thought Ben was moving his feet and possibly pulled the covers tight but when it happened two more times, without him moving I realised it must be something else. It almost felt like someone or something small like a cat or small child sitting at my feet and weighing down the blanket. Because it kept moving I could not sleep so I got up and sat outside on the porch to play on my phone. 25 minutes later Ben came outside to find me complaining that the bed had been moving! Neither of us slept again that night and the amazing night audit Lisa opened up for us to have coffee earlier than usual which was great! Could not recommend this place more! Can't wait to return!!!

2  Thank Hana212

What an amazing memory for you to be able to share with generations to come. We are so pleased that The Myrtles Planation was able to be the setting of such a magical weekend for you and your family. With the flowing Spanish moss hanging from our crepe myrtle trees there is no doubt the setting was more than overwhelmingly perfect. Thank you for sharing this with us and thank you for staying with us too. Aside from your unforgettable proposal, we are thrilled you had a little "extra" experience with your overnight visits. We love hearing all the stories our guest share with us over breakfast the morning after a visit. We hope to see y'all in the future and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Reviewed September 21, 2016 via mobile

I was dragged out here by my mother and sister all the way from Australia. I knew nothing of the place or history before I arrived. It was only when we took both the house tour me the ghost tour that I found out why my sister took us there. IT IS HAUNTED. I've never believed in ghosts or anything of that nature but I sure got my money's worth of no sleep and nightly disturbances. Other than having otherworldly visitors I couldn't not say a bad word about the place. Friendly staff and great breakfast, house is nice and full of history.

Reviewed September 21, 2016 via mobile

Enjoyed everything! Beautiful place. The grounds are very well kept. Staff is top notch- courteous, helpful, and friendly. The breakfast was AWESOME!!!!
The history of this place is worth checking out!

Reviewed September 14, 2016

Myrtles plantation house is completely different from other antebellums. Its exterior provides little indication of its exquisite interior and even less of the heart rending tragic historical events that took place here involving Chloe, a young slave girl. The guide presented the facts so clearly and objectively, that it made a deeper impression on me than the actual story related about of the haunting of Myrtles. This was the only plantation I visited that I felt was real, that human beings left their mark, albeit a mark of great sorrow.

Trip type: Traveled solo