“Keep driving!”

The Myrtles Plantation
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed here based on a whim...we were driving in the area and the young woman at a tourist info stop talked about the "ghosts", although she had never been to the place, just saw it on TV.
The ghosts are the visitors...it was the off-season and we were the only guests. We were given a room in the main house after we found that NONE of the rooms except those in the main house have a shower! We did not learn this until we went to the room and returned to the office to inquire. The tub in our original room was more grungy than I was up for using.
When we were re-assigned to this room the manager told us he hoped we would not smell the varnish from the work being done and gave it to us for the same rate as the outside room.
We felt trapped at that point...we had called ahead when we were only about an hour from the place to see if they had availability. The manager asked for a credit card at that point which I thought was a little strange but I provided it. When we arrived we did not even get a welcome, just a "here is your credit card receipt". They had rung it immediately! We would not have stayed...after we saw the rooms and learned about the varnish smell. The room in the main house was just dingy and worn.
It is evident this place is on a downhill trajectory and they are so disparate for money that they are staying open during a remodel project that any more ethical place would close up shop during rather than continue to charge full prices for less than an an ideal experience, especially when the management knows they cannot provide the full experience.
The restaurant on-site is also open. We did not eat there....heeding the advice of other trip advisor reviews...I will admit that, to our regret, we did read reviews before we decided to stay here..like I said, it was a whim.
We did have a drink in the restaurant bar. It was deserted, except for staff. It seemed to be the private bar of the staff.
So to sum it up, don't bother. There are far better hotels all over this area as well as several other great plantations to visit.
It really just felt like the staff had no love or interest in the place.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank AKtraveler51

Reviewed December 23, 2013

stayed in the caretaker cottage with my husband and my two male gay friends.bunkbeds and 1 double.no problem there.It is "alleged" you will have something happen day or night.Well guess what NOTHING. I was up by myself for a good 2 hours 1a.m.-3-a.m.And then I search a little deeper and Chloe was never on the "slave" registiry.Her name appears nowhere.And for the owner who dies on the 17th step of the house,he died on the front porch.There is ALOT of myth/legend around this property that may NOT be true. am sure there is paranormal activity,but not as much as they say there is.Looks like more of a gimmick and cash cow then anything.Go with an open mind,BUT DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING!!!

Room Tip: Just have fun with it.Don't go looking,you may be disappointed
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank HeidiBuchmanSmith
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed in the Azalea Room last week for one night and let me say I was torn between the Average and Very Good ratings.

First the good. The house is indeed spooky. I wouldn't say scary, but certainly spooky. They've done a good job keeping it looking and feeling old. That feeling adds to the spookiness. We took the Mystery Tour at night. It was an hour or so and Mark the guide did a great job. He answered every question and seemingly had good patience with what amounted to a pretty eclectic group (i.e. older couple and my 6 year old daughter). Our room was towards the side of the property and easily located. Check in and check out were simple and quick.

The bad was more cosmetic than anything. The room was a bit run down and moldy. As a result, the smell was a bit off and there were about two inches of standing water in the tub. I let the water out, but needless to say, we didn't take a quick bath in the AM. That said, I want to be clear, I do not think the room was overly dirty, just really well worn.

If you're looking for the haunted/spooky experience, I'd say this is a no-brainer. Don't hesitate to stay and be sure to bring a flashlight, take a bunch of pictures, and go on the night tour. If you want a traditional hotel/B&B (shower/TV/internet etc), this may not be your place.

Room Tip: If you want the full effect, I think inside the main home is the way to go. Want to say "you di...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jsccofc
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The price of the admission was reasonable,but the hype did not live up to it.First off, you are only able to tour one floor and take a picture in the foyer only. The "tour" takes about 10-15 minutes and most of it consist of telling stories. If you really want to see a beautiful plantation and be able to touch/sit on everything on display, spend your money on Houmas Plantation. The draw to the Myrtle Plantation is the "haunting" and spirits that live there. My family and I did not see or hear any spirits.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Liz F
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I have been here twice and stayed over night both times. If your expecting a haunting, you won't get it, but if you want to feel something odd going on here-- you most definitely will! Things falling over, unexpected noises, cabinets opening, cold spots, "heavy" atmospheres in the house, etc. I love the night tour and the rooms in the main house aren't meant to be "updated" so if you want a 5 star modern hotel, obviously this is not what you will want. The main house is meant to be as accurate as possible to the time period. I have stayed in both the main house and on the grounds. The rooms on the grounds are actually more cozy and cheaper. My only BIG complaint-- the restaurant on the grounds.....
Expensive for lack of quality. They only are open 5-9 and seem to never have any available seating. Waited 45mins just to seat 2 people. And the waiter checked on us twice!!! That was it! After paying my bill I walked out mumbling under my breath that I wouldn't eat there again.
All in all-- myrtles is fun for the history !

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mymyskinnylove
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

After reading all the negative reviews, I was somewhat aprehensive about keeping our reservation. I'm so happy that I did. Rooms are simple, but ok. Could be a little cleaner, for example, I had to clean hair out of tub. There was a yellow spot on toilet seat. It appeared as if someone pittied and get a drop on the seat. I got some wet toilet paper and cleaned it. Bathroom floor could've been cleaner. But filfthy? Not at all. I will stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Debbie V
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We arrived at the Myrtles, checked in and a very nice man helped us with our luggage up to our room in the Big House as the main house is referred to. Enjoyed our time there do not have any ghostly encounters and very thankful for that as we were not looking for one. My husband has always wanted to visit the house. He loves history and the house it fulled with it.
If you go to St. Francesville spend some time downtown, shops and old churches worth to visit.
Not many places to dine, as this is a small town.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple