“Southern Hospitality”

The Myrtles Plantation
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was our second time visiting this property and one of our family's favorite places. Yes, we originally came for the ghosts but we return for the graciousness of the staff and the beautiful setting. We stayed in the Coco Cottage, had a delicious dinner at The Carriage House and enjoyed the Mystery Tour. In the morning, we had a delicious breakfast of biscuits, scrambled eggs, jams and wonderful grits. Even better than the breakfast was the staff who gave us wonderful trip ideas and hints. We will return!

Room Tip: The haunted rooms are in the house though we did hear a door in our cabin open and close in the midd...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank photomom89

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Started out with dinner at the Carriage House. The fried green tomatoes were devious and fried shrimp was average.
The 8pm mystery ghost tour was by far creepy. Spend the night in the John Leak room known in the past as the peach room. The "button canopy bed" was great.
We did sleep in our sweats just in case we needed to leave in a hurry. The other guest were great. Strange things do go on there...breakfast the next morning with homemade biscuits and scones were to "die" for...will definetly go back. Spring or fall would be good, so you can take advantage of the porch and rocking chairs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda C
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My wife and I,
stayed in the upstairs suite where the piano is, if your looking for scare factor and history??? This could be your place.. The price is crazy for the quality of the room's, we paid over $520,00 for two nights for a room that had, no shower or Tv. Stains on the lamp shade's, and torn walpaper. I love to ghost hunt, and this place has a ton of history. But they are NOT even close to be rated with stars, on a 1- to 5 scale five being best, 1/2 star. If I could have received a refund I would have. Ghost hunting great place. Mr Korem

Room Tip: The suites are not worth the money, stay in one of the onsite cabins and save some money.
4  Thank David K
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I am a fan of many of the ghost hunting shows and one of the shows had mentioned Myrtles Plantation. So for me and my wife's 1st wedding anniversary I convinced her to take a trip to LA. and visit the plantation.
A very beautiful and unique place, it is setback from the main road and almost closed off from the surrounding by large creypt myrtle trees. The grounds are covered in thick greenery with a spattering of ages stone statues.
The first night we had stayed in the John Leake room, a smaller room but the bed was oh so comfy. After we settled in, we enjoyed the tour of the house. The tour guide had great stories and it set a great mood for our stay. Eerie but entertaining. After the tour that night I passed out, my wife on the other hand said there was someone in the attic walking around and ratteling the access panel. (the room has a locked attic access panel on the ceiling) Regardless to say my wife didn't get much sleep, she reminded me the next morning.
The next morning we woke early to our homemade breakfast in the gift shop, where we overheard many peoples stories and adventures. Then headed to Baton Rouge for some gambling and entertainment. We came back in time to have some dinner at the Carriage House, my wife had never had Jumbelia, the spicy shrimp and sausage delighted her, I had the crab cake which was very tasty and a 7 and 7.
The second night we stayed in the Clark Woodruff Suite. This room was huge and had access to much of the house which excited me. The main room had a large 4 poster bed, a "kids" size room off to one side...our guide joked and said it was a pet bed, it looked more like an old nursery. My wife would not walk threw this room without me nor would she use the restroom without me standing outside. The rickety old floor creaked and showed their age with every step. Since I was fully rested with the prior night, I bought my two energy drinks in town and prepared for a late night, investigating.
I had an hddv camcorder I borrowed from my job. I recorded lots of stuff, even while we slept. me and my wife were left with our jaws wide in suprise at what I had caught on video, after reviewing it. Some of the stuff I didn't even hear till I played back everything.
The best was when mrs. silver answered "yes" to my question
Second was the piano in the main Foyer playing itself
Third was the sounds of someone walking up the steps I was on! while recording, freakiest thing I've done in a while.
Forth we believe Chloe had undone the latches on my wife's purse in the middle of the night. When we woke the next morning my wife flung her purse over her shoulder only to have it slide off her back. I checked this purse at 2am and it was fine. Roomer has it Chloe likes to mess with shiny stuff.

I will defiantly be heading back there if possible, a bit of a drive from Texas but well worth it
The staff was very friendly and easy going, at one point they joined us on the veranda to recall some of the other guests stories.

Room Tip: Clark Woodruff Room is the best, You have acess to 3/4 of the house to yourself ,but you pay a premi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Paul s
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The building and the grounds and trees look beautiful, however the atmosphere in the house was very heavy and oppressive, I didn't want to spend any more time in there that was absolutely necessary.

A very heavy energy.

Room Tip: I personally wouldn't be able to stay there, unless you liked the thought of sharing your room w...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JamesMitchell_12
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I were married October 29th, 2011 so we decided to spend our 1 year anniversary with a night at the Myrtles Plantation. I had read a book about it several years ago and I have seen numerous paranormal/haunting shows showcasing the house so I just had to go. We stayed in the William Winters room in the main house, the room itself was very charming and I was thankful that it had its own restroom in the room because the other rooms had to share two bathrooms out in the hallway. The bathroom only has a tub but it was clean and it got the job done. If you are expecting the cleanliness of a Marriott you can forget that, the floors were pretty dirty so I wore socks the whole time I was in the room. My husband and I are both open to the supernatural world so we were really excited to go ghost hunting when it got dark outside.

One thing I should mention is that once you check in and the staff leaves at night you are on your own, we never saw any staff or security after 11pm. The people who were also staying in the other rooms got pretty loud and they and I like to party myself were drunk to the point of being obnoxious. I am not a prude but when the party is still going strong at 5:30am and walls are paper thin it can get pretty annoying. We walked the grounds taking random pictures as well as video, I believe I captured some activity on my recorder. I also captured several orbs in some of my photos. We were waken early in the morning by the sound of several voices, they schedule school tours in the early am so be prepared for the noise from that.

They do have internet service however it would run slow at times but it was better than nothing. We didn't stay for the breakfast because we had plans to drive in to Baton Rouge for the remainder of our trip so we wanted to get on the road and get to our other hotel for some sleep. All in all I was very pleased with our visit to this beautiful plantation, the grounds are beautiful and the history is very rich. I highly recommend the Myrtles Plantation as a nice getaway.

Room Tip: Request the William Winters room so you have your own restroom.
2  Thank txartistgirl74
Reviewed October 12, 2012

On our way to the Angola Prison Rodeo and decided it would be perfect timing to finally get to the Myrtles. Interesting but our Suite was the size of a large closet. We were upstairs and nowhere to really roam or look for spirits. Unlocked a door, walked straight upstairs, large hallway leading to 4 rooms. I'd love to be able to give a great review for the Myrtles but it fell short. The outside was beautiful, the grounds gorgeous and the staff friendly. Prison Rodeo is every Sunday in October and that was great fun. That gives you great insight into Prison life and they had many crafts (including plants and wood furniture) that were nice bargains. If you make the rodeo drive a pick up to haul away your goodies. Harsh prison environment and this is good for the inmates and their families.