All reviews the cottages the main house back porch miss anne double jacuzzi pond cottage fridge was stocked oak trees coffee pot peace and quiet watching the ducks continental breakfast beautiful property dovecote privacy treehouse ms
Reviewed July 1, 2009

In searching for an affordable location for a plantation wedding I came across so much more. My now husband and I were immediately taken by the history of Butler Greenwood. We spent a weekend in March at one of the B&B cottages on the property and couldn't wait for the ceremony in June, which was lovely and held on the porch. The staff was very helpful and the cottage we returned to after the reception was the original kitchen built in 1796 of bricks fired on the property. Can't say enough good about it and can't wait to return often.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poetspen
Reviewed April 20, 2009

If you are looking for relaxation then Butler Greenwood and St. Francisville is your destination. A beautiful old home from the 1790's greets you upon entering and the tour was conducted by a direct descendant of the original Butler family that build the home. A spartan continental breakfast is available, but not something that you would "spring" out of bed to eat. Just a snack to get you on your way to shopping and sightseeing. The owner of Butler Greenwood conducted the tour and we spent a few minutes with her and her daughter at the end. They were very informative about the history of the home and the history of St. Francisville. Wish we could have spent more social time with them since they had so much interesting knowledge to share and so little time to share it with us, but, we had to be on our way.

The Pool Cottage where we stayed was extremely roomy, fairly priced and the tour for $5.00 was a bargain.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to going back.

Sonny and Arnell Schwing
Covington, La.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sonny1234567
Reviewed August 17, 2008

I've stayed at Butler Greenwood twice, both times in the Old Kitchen. I can confidently say that this is one of my favorite places away from home in the world - and I travel about one week out of four.

If you're the sort that wants brand new everything all the time, damned be to the finer things in life, then don't bother coming here. The TVs are old, the air conditioners are noisy, the carpet merely passable, and the croissants you get for breakfast came from Sam's Club.

If you appreciate the finer things in life - beauty, history, peace, tranquility and a sense of calm - definitely reserve the Butler Greenwood.

Each of the seven cabin is unique and lovely in its own way. (I might have quietly invited myself into the empty ones each morning on a long stay while my husband was away working until I'd seen them all.) Each features a hot tub with a private view of either the pond in the center of the property or of the surrounding woodlands. The beds are big and comfy, the sheets good quailty linens (I remember they were 1000 tread count, like what I use at home. Very rare to find in hotels!) that need not be changed out (except for holes) on a frequent basis.

The Old Kitchen, where I've always stayed, feels like the guest house of an old plantation family, and I think that's exactly what Mrs. Anne, the owner, has been striving for. It's comfortable and decorated with antiques, but it isn't city fancy, just country comfortable. The brick building, with the ancient old pew in front, and the tall antique gallery doors looks as old as it is. The back porch looks out onto a small pond and even has an ancient fish sink - which made this country raised girl feel nostaglic, even as she sat with cups of sweating iced water and read, listening to the comforting creek of the swing.

The owner, Anne Butler, is a quiet, reserved woman who has been in poor health since her ex-husband shot her five or six times and left her for dead on her back veranda several years ago. She is a very nice person, but is not bubbly and there are times that she may not be very talkative or loud or engaging.
When we were there over a year ago, I noticed the home health nurse showing up almost every day, so I suspect she's having rather more bad days than good. I can testify that when I visited several years ago, she was great deal more outgoing, but she didn't seem like she was in constant pain then either, as she did on my last stay.

The price is extremely reasonable, considering the fact that the price pays for the upkeep of a large plantation, including magnificent grounds (I walked these everyday for exercise.) a lovely little pond, the pool (The pool is kept as befits a family pool, not a commercial pool, which I rather liked.) and the main house. (Admission to the main house is included in the price of your reservations, btw.) And there are only 7 cabins, not 27, so privacy is at a premium.

In summation: if you prefer commercialized, consumer Disney experiences for your vacation, stay at the Myrtles (which is about as haunted as my exercise room). If you like old-school charm, grace, privacy and calm, try Butler Greenwood. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Amperage
Reviewed July 19, 2008

This bed and breakfast is not your typical B&B. There are several cottages located on the plantation grounds in which to choose from. We stayed in the Pond House.

Our cottage was cozy. The king sized bed was comfortable and the jacuzzi is large enough for 2. The atmosphere here is rustic, not at all lavish as the pictures on the website may lead some to believe.

The strangest thing about this B&B is the breakfast. Your breakfast items are placed in the cottage for you to prepare yourself. The owners purchase pastries locally for you to enjoy for breakfast. Juice is in the refrigerator. Once you prepare your breakfast, you almost feel like you need to clean the kitchen as though you were at home.

Since there are no restaurants on the property, you will have to venture out for meals or purchase items to prepare in your cottage. I found it took quite a long time for the oven to heat the pastries in the morning that I did not care to use it to prepare a meal.

What I thoroughly enjoyed about this place was the quiet solitude. My husband enjoyed reading in the hammock on the back porch. It was nice to sit here and talk looking out at the pond. We would get up early and walk the grounds behind the cottage. One day we explored the grounds all around the plantation. It was nice to walk down forgotten paths and think about the people who lived here in the past.

For most of our stay there were only couples in the other cottages. On our last night it was a bit noisier as either a family or several couples arrived late in the evening and took a while to settle in for the night.

The tour of the plantation was enjoyable. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and answered most of our questions about the surrounding area. While she did recommend another plantation to visit, it was not one of the best in the area. Once we arrived there, we found out the property was owned by someone with a connection to Butler Greenwood.

I feel that if you are going to see other plantation homes in the area, I'd start with the Myrtles, Rosedown, Hemingbough, and Oakleigh. They are all quite different from one another. Hemingbough is beautiful, but not very enjoyable if a wedding is scheduled. You can not get a very good tour because preparations are being made and some areas are off limits. I would call before making the trip, but definitely try to include it. If you happen to be in St. Francisville while a concert is offered at Hemingbough or if you are here for Easter Sunday, DO NOT miss the concerts or the sunrise service. They are magnificent!

I made a note to notice the other cabins here for future visits. Here are my observations: I would not stay in the Pool Pavillion as it is too close to the main entrance and the pool is available to anyone right outside your door. The Old Kitchen is also near the entrance and not at all secluded. The Dovecote is not located on the pond and the location was not to my liking. Because of its configuration, the Gazebo has no real private outdoor space. Chase's Cottage is at the far end of the pond. The view from the front porch is of the pond and several of the other cottages. The view from the back is open green space. The Treehouse is small with no pond view. I believe I would like the privacy behind this cottage. The Cook's House was fine located on the pond. If I stayed here again, I'd return to the Pond House or try Chase's Cottage as these are both located on the far end of the pond with less traffic. I would definitely consider the Treehouse if the other 2 were booked because most of the time a couple can stay in the 2 bedroom cottages for the price of a one bedroom as long as you use only one bedroom.

Butler Greenwood is an excellent place to simply unwind. You can enjoy quiet time and what you do in your cottage is your personal business. There is no phone and the television is so old, you won't want to bother with it. Bring your loved one or a good book and allow yourself to relax because there is definitely no excitement here other than what you create. It's a great place to reconnect, read or write a book, or think things through without distractions. It is a great hideaway.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dreamer9
Reviewed May 28, 2008

I stayed at the Butler Greenwood in May 2008 with my boyfriend. We received a gift certificate to stay there from family, which was ideal for a nice weekend away. I live in New Orleans, and it's approximately 1 1/2 hours away from town.

We stayed in the Old Kitchen, which is certainly the most historic of all the cottages, but it is not as secluded as it is right next to the main house. It was an interesting layout, as there are two bedrooms (one full, one king), a jacuzzi tub, a back porch, and a kitchen. There's also a well next to the bathtub that is covered with plexi-glass. Very neat, but a little scary at night!! The kitchen is fully equipped, but make sure to bring a corkscrew if you like wine (the one there was broken!!). We didn't cook, but if we had, it would have been really easy to do so. Instead, we went to the Oxbow restaurant in town. Unique experience--relatively good Creole Italian menu and wine list for West Feliciana parish!! Breakfast croissants, oatmeal, bananas, muffins, and coffee are all provided in the fridge.

The cottages are not luxury accommodations, with towels that are older and mismatched dishes, but you're going there to escape into country life. I found that our cottage was clean and had all the amenities we needed.

If you are looking for a nice weekend in the country, I'd recommend it. That being said, if you're high maintenance, this place is not for you!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple