“Unique lodging, Great tour”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Francisville
Butler Greenwood Plantation
indianapolis
“Unique lodging, Great tour”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed her becuase of the unique lodging options; we stayed in dovecote which didn't disappoint. It was very unique with full deck overlooking ravine. Great place for family stay. The cottages are not new; translated as "don't stay here if you want super luxury and new facility". This is a bit rustic and down-to-earth. Very quiety, secluded and private which is what we wanted. The pool was sparkling clean. The tour was more informative that at the Myrtles plantation and the guide was descendent of the original owners. We thouroughly enjoyed our stay and would stay again. (but not in the pool cottage because the doors & windows directly overlook the pool deck-not so private). I rated as "very good" only to indicate to others that it's not spotless clean (but hey, I don't clean my baseboards either!). It is just a continental breakfast - croissants and muffins and cereal and banana. good enough for us and just as they advertise.

Room Tip: The poolside cottage door opens directly to pool deck - not as private as others.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank g b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Owens Cross Roads, Alabama
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My wife had toured this place years ago and wanted to stay in one of the cottages. We made reservations for four in "The Kitchen". The younger couple took the "full" bed but during the night she got up due the small space of bed and the noise the bed made at the slightest movement. They got little sleep. They were dressed and packed ready to go at 7AM. We all were upset! Upon looking for breakfast we discover one lonely muffin in the frig along with zip-locks of croissants, butter and jelly. Due to my background in engineering we were able to divide the muffin four ways! Reminded me of a fishing camp "breakfast of champions" ....... a Hersey Bar and a Bud! Never again!

Room Tip: don't go!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank wahigle1
Reviewed March 29, 2012

After bringing my family for summer visits (for swimming), I finally got the chance to stay during cold weather and have a fire! And I was able to stay in my favorite cottage - The Old Kitchen Cottage!
When I arrived, the lights were on for me along with the heat (such a nice, thoughtful thing to do!). The first thing I did was have my friend light the fire (everything was already set up and ready, all we had to do was light a match! A bonus for a little Cajun girl who never learned to use a fireplace before! I picked it up quickly!)I immediately turned off the heat in the back room and enjoyed the fireplace all night long!
Everyone was so friendly and nice, which made things more relaxing since I was here to be closer to my doctors for a barrage of testing, not for a relaxing get-away. After my doctor visits I had to stick around a couple of extra days to await my results and the owner, Ms. Anne Butler (author of many books on Louisiana travel and historic and tourists must-see sights in and around the area) was so understanding and compassionate as to allow me to extend my stay, even though it was quite unexpected.
I love the fact that each of the cottages offer lots of privacy and they all have terrific over-sized jacuzzi tubs with many different aroma-therapy bath additives to choose from! Over-sized towels make the experience of luxury complete.
I've stayed in many B and B's in different states, even a few different ones in the St. Francisville area, and I must admit I do enjoy having my own private kitchen (breakfast items included, along with all the pots, pans, dishes, utensils, etc that you might need). I like being able to have my morning coffee (unlimited supply, already set up for you daily - simply turn the coffee pot on!) and breakfast at my own time and in private, not on someone else's schedule at a table full of strangers I am obligated to visit with.
Over the years my family and I have managed to stay in each cottage once and will soon be starting on round two of our "tour of the cottages". Ms. Butler and staff manage to make each visit special and memorable, even one that wasn't intended to be relaxing and was all about medical visits. They turned it into a very relaxing experience, after all.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank HistoryNutt56
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I was here two years ago in Chase Cottage. That visit was great with the exception of rude comments made about the plantation next door,the Myrtles. My husband and I got a cottage at BG after staying the weekend at the Myrtles. I didn't mention we came from the Myrtles til after paying. Had I before she probably would have asked us to leave.
This time,we stayed in the Treehouse cottage. It was very dirty. In the kitchen area,there were dead bugs on the shelf.
When I arrived to check in,the owner asked if I had had lunch yet. I said no,that I was going to the Carriage House at the Myrtles. She got a nasty look and said,"I don't want to ruin their business,but many people have gotten food poisoning there." This was simply said out of spite. She seems to have a problem with them.
This area thrives on tourism. If all local businesses aren't successful,people won't come.
Such a shame that she speaks that way of them when the employees at the Myrtles were the ones that originally suggested that I tour Butler Greenwood.
Nasty cottage,nastier attitude. I won't go back.

• Stayed March 2012
6 Thank cmj27
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Took my wife here for our anniversary and didn't care for it much. It's not a typical bread-and-breakfast like I've stayed in before -- microwaveable croissants and raisin bran were our breakfast options. I had read reviews prior to booking this place, so I was prepared for that and it didn't really bother me. The grounds were very peaceful and serene, and I think I would've liked it more if I had stayed in a different cottage. We stayed in the Pond House and it was very basic. nothing special. The worst thing was that there was an unusual smell in the cottage which gave me a horrible migraine that I couldn't get rid of. My wife and I tried to relax and watch TV, but the TV reception was horrible and the remote control didn't work, and the owner was unable to help us and seemed slightly perturbed. I know she is an accomplished author and is an expert on the area, and has some great stories to tell, such as how her ex-husband, who was warden at Angola prison, tried to murder her on the grounds of the plantation. Anyway, my headache was so bad that finally we just packed up our bags and went home, which fortunately was only a 30-minute drive. Don't think we'll be back.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ndstrukt
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed January 30, 2012

What a delightful, peaceful get-away! This was my very first solo vacation and it was simply wonderful! I stayed in the Gazebo cottage. The setting was serene and peaceful; the stained glass windows were charming and very conducive to study and personal reflection - just what I had in mind! The lovely four-poster bed, while a challenge for my 5'2" frame to crawl up into, was nonetheless very comfy, the high-quality linens were clean, blankets cozy and I slept soundly and peacefully. My favorite part of my stay was relaxing in the huge 2-person jetted tub! (Took a bit of work for me to figure out how to make it work, but what a wonderful way to soothe achy feet after a long day of sight seeing!) The cottage was very clean (ladybug infestation notwithstanding), the kitchen was fully equipped and included wineglasses, which came in handy for sampling my purchases after touring the nearby Feliciana Cellars winery. The wi-fi wasn't working so I was a little disappointed, but I got to check my email at the local Mickey D's (hey, I'm on vacay, right?!) I absolutely reveled in the peace, quiet and privacy and would highly recommend a stay here to another solo traveler or couple seeking same. Anne and her daughter were charming - warm, friendly, accommodating and the tour of the plantation house very informative. The grounds are absolutely beautiful, and well kept, even though I visited in the fall. I'll bet this place is heavenly in the Springtime when all the flowers and trees are in bloom. I saw deer, birds and of course, Humphrey the peacock as I sipped my morning coffee on the deck. While a "nicer" breakfast (a hot, gourmet delight) would have made this stay truly over-the-top, I was okay with the heat-n-eat fare in the frige. I covet my privacy and prefer to dine alone anyway, but a more traditional bed-n-breakfast meal delivered to my door would have been a special treat and more along the lines of what one would customarily expect from a B&B. All in all, I had a terrific visit and plan to return. I suggest anyone looking for a peaceful, quiet and charming get-away consider staying here, too. Bring your camera and enjoy the lovely scenery and wildlife! The friendly folks at the tourist information place were very helpful, so that just added to the fun of this great getaway experience.

Room Tip: If you get to stay near the lake, you will likely enjoy the sound of the water fountain and get to w...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank DianaSavoy
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed January 15, 2012

So they advertise it as a bed and breakfast and their breakfast is worst than the Motel 6. I expected to have some local cusine or atleast a home cooked breakfast for the price they quote instead I got a refrigerated (and you have to heat it yourself) crossont and come Sam's club muffins
The Jaccozzi does not work
No hot water if you use the tub Oh yes they do not even have soap and shower gels so get your own or pray you find some!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sachin C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Francisville
Best Western St. Francisville Hotel
Best Western St. Francisville Ho...
#1 of 3 in Saint Francisville
#1 of 9 in Saint Francisville
St. Francisville Inn
St. Francisville Inn
#4 of 9 in Saint Francisville

Been to Butler Greenwood Plantation? Share your experiences!