“Not the best experience”

Carriage House Restaurant @ The Myrtles Plantation
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Not the best experience”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I debated between 2 and 3 stars for a while before writing this review. In the end, I settled on 3 stars because service won out over quality.

My husband and I ate here a few weeks ago and I can't say that I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, but maybe we just had an unlucky experience.

The bad: We both ordered chicken alfredo and neither one of us managed to eat more than two bites. We noticed something off when it was brought to the table. It smelled bad. I guess the best word to describe the smell would be rotten. But since someone had just cooked it and I couldn't imagine that any restaurant would serve something rotten to us, we tried to overlook the smell and eat it anyway (and in fairness one of my favorite restaurants from home has a dish that smells horrid but it's the best tasting food I've ever eaten). We should have just listened to our noses because the taste was horrible too. The consistency of the sauce was lumpy - almost curdled. Not at all what alfredo sauce should look or taste like. And the taste itself was a sour "cheese going bad" taste. It literally seemed like the cheese they used for the sauce was in the process of going bad, but they used it anyway. We were both really surprised that whoever cooked it didn't seem to notice this. Or maybe it was noticed and he just didn't care.

The good: We had fried pickles as an appetizer and they were the best fried pickles either one of us ever had. Sadly, the yummy appetizer was not a good indication of what the main meal would taste like. When we told our waitress that the alfredo tasted horrible, she did apologize to us. We knew it wasn't her fault and we said that, but we just wanted to point out that it tasted bad (as a side note, I did read another review where someone said they didn't like the alfredo so maybe this is just a bad dish). We ordered the bread pudding for dessert since our stomachs were still hungry and when she brought us our dessert and our bill, she said the dessert was on the house. That made us happy and ultimately led to my 3 star instead of 2 star review. We didn't ask for any compensation for the bad meal so the fact that we were provided with a free dessert because of the fact that we didn't like the meal showed really good customer service in my opinion. Plus, the bread pudding was delicious.

In conclusion, I don't know if we just chose a bad dish, or if it was just off that day and no one noticed, but to put it in perspective - my husband has done survival training and has eaten bugs and worms without even gagging. Yet he couldn't manage more than 2 bites of the alfredo sauce without gagging. That's pretty telling of how horrible it tasted! The service was definitely good and they get extra kudos from me for the free dessert. Obviously the fried pickles and the dessert were good, so not everything on the menu is horrible. I'd be willing to give them another chance if we are ever in the area again, but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice of a place to eat.

Rockport, Texas
“Wish we had gone somewhere else”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The restaurant was pretty. Something was floating in my water so sent it back. We are from South Texas and use to getting very good seafood. I ordered a fried shrimp platter and I was disappointed that the shrimps black stuff in its back was not cleaned out so I had to do that myself. I am funny about that I guess. The bread pudding was good though. It was pricey for what we received and we were disappointed.

Florence, Mississippi
“Best deep south cuisine ever”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Being a southerner born and bred, I've eaten a lot of fried catfish in my time, but I have to say, this was the best, most perfectly seasoned catfish I've ever had. I wish I had had more time to try other entrees, as they all looked wonderful.

Holden, Louisiana
“Go elsewhere”
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We took my family visiting from England to the Myrtles Plantation, and there was a bit of a wait before the tour. We were all hungry, so for the sake of convenience, we ate here. Hmm. Apart from the food being overpriced and less than stellar and not getting refills for my drink, it was fantastic. Go to the Magnolia Café instead.

Billingham, United Kingdom
“A tad over priced”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The ambience and the service were very good and so was the food. Our waiter, Stephen, was not at all pushy, and gave us the time to choose from a reasonably small brunch menu. The food itself was well cooked and presented, my shrimp being a tad over cooked, but still delicious. The only downside was was this value for money I would say not.